Send us a suggestion!

Ticaboo Mesa Canyon Partners

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by qedcook, Apr 4, 2018.

1. qedcook

qedcook

I'm looking for some experienced canyoneering partners, since every time I go with someone enough to make them experienced, they get married or quit canyoneering.

Particularly, I'd like to go do some of the Ticaboo Mesa canyons.

My schedule is pretty flexible. Thanks.
  2. Tahoeclimber

Tahoeclimber

Coming to area on 4-09 thru 4-18. Plans for Ticaboo. Let's go.
    qedcook likes this.
  3. Canyonero

Canyonero

What's wrong with married? 90% of the people I canyoneer with are married and we have great hopes for the other ones, although we do like to live vicariously through them. :)
    Rapterman likes this.
  4. Wobot

Wobot

Im pretty flexible and also looking for solid partners. Would love to join.
  5. qedcook

qedcook

I'm looking at going Thursday evening, April 19th, and returning Saturday night April 21st. I'm located in Salt Lake. Anyone want to join?
  6. Wobot

Wobot

Hey Ill join ya!
  7. qedcook

qedcook

This whole week/weekend looks like amazing weather for canyoneering. Anyone want to get out to Ticaboo (or somewhere else)?
  8. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

I'd be interested in some canyons, but Ticaboo sounds pretty warm this weekend.
  9. qedcook

qedcook

So, resurrecting this thread, I'm interested in what people think are important factors in finding new canyon partners. Obviously experience level is probably the most important. But I would also say things like:

How early you get up to start canyoneering
    How fast do you hike/canyoneer
    Do you try to get an extra canyon in before the end of the day, or do you relax at camp or head home early
    Where you live/driving
    General temperament/personality
    Do you canyoneer on Sundays (kind of lame, I know, but definitely a factor here in Utah)

What do you guys think are other factors?
  10. Chasetharp

Chasetharp

Do you work well as a team? Are you safety conscious? If you’re standing on the edge of a cliff and someone asks you to clip into an anchor, do you say you’re fine and ignore them?

I’ve become quite sketched to meet random people to go canyoneer with after some bad experiences. My suggestion is to always have a person or two that you know are solid and will back you up. Good question on the getting up early though! Always plan for a longer day when strangers are involved, just never know.
    qedcook likes this.
  11. John Diener

John Diener

Canyoneering background/experience - how long?, what canyons?, etc.
    Depending upon objective, a few questions about technique, equipment, skills might provide some insight.
    -john
    Anthony Dye and qedcook like this.
  12. hank moon

hank moon lovely ligatures

- Sense of humor
    - communication skills
    - flexibility / tolerance
    - compatibility of style / motivation / interest
    Last edited: May 12, 2018
    John Diener, Anthony Dye and qedcook like this.
  13. qedcook

qedcook

I'm definitely an early riser and canyoneer all day, and I go fast. I've rarely been in a canyon that I felt was getting above my head. It's tough to find people are like that, and have enough experience that you'd trust them. I'd like to think I'm pretty easy going too, but I can't hardly stand sitting around camp until 9 while people wake up and get ready. I'm kind of also tired of having to be the most experienced, and having to be the canyon leader. It makes setting your eyes on canyons like Holy Cow or No Kidding or Baker or Smiling Cricket a lot tougher, both in terms of logistics and safety. Definitely not impossible, but tougher.

Anyway, if anyone needs an experienced and strong canyoneer in their group, that hikes fast and rises early and likes to go all day, let me know. Thanks.
    hank moon and Anthony Dye like this.
  14. Scott Byington

Scott Byington

Sounds like we need a canyon partner match or a canyon cupid or a canyon singles or a canyon friend finder or Canyon Partner to help people match up...:twothumbs:

Soon your profile will include but not limited to a canyon resume; canyon questionnaire (which canyons do you see yourself completing in the next 3-5 years) and canyon likes/dislikes?
    Chasetharp and Anthony Dye like this.
  15. EvergreenDean

EvergreenDean OK with what happens

And alternatively, Canyon Tinder for those willing to roll the dice and go out with anyone? Oh I guess maybe we have that already...Meetup.
    hank moon likes this.
  16. Aquaman

Aquaman

Kinda off topic, but...

No Kidding? I mean... you have to be on point with your sand trap game, but it's a very approachable canyon otherwise. In fact, I've found that canyon to be great for learning and practicing sand traps, because really all the rappels are *perfect* for the device. I'm a very intermediate canyoneer, and I'd put No Kidding on the list of easier canyons, tbh. I'd happily do it with one other person who can rappel and follow directions if they've never used a sand trap. Hell, I'd be fine soloing it if it weren't for the fact that sand traps aren't great solo tools for a handful of reasons.

Poe/Smiling Cricket, yeah, you need a really experienced team for that.

EDIT: Holy Hell, I had NO idea No Kidding was classed a 4A III R. I get the 4 because the sand trap takes skill, but it's really the ONLY advanced skill that canyon requires. Apparently it can have some keeper potholes, too; I've never seen them, but if they exist, then okay, class 4. Can anybody vouch for these supposed keeper potholes? I don't understand the R rating at all.

Perhaps this rating is what scares you off a little bit; if you asked me before today, I'd have guessed No Kidding was a 3A II. If it's on your list, I say fine one person who can use a sand trap and go for it; you'll probably find it easier than you expected.
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2018