Send us a suggestion!

Three loop ghosting technique

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Gear' started by Tirrus, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Tirrus

Tirrus Rope rider.

Does anyone have any experience with this technique? It seems to be similar to the omni-sling. Thoughts, or concerns?

2. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Is that an X slot?

Rope pulling directly on webbing is never a good idea. A macrame would even be better than this situation.

Seems an omnisling or fiddlestick would have less chance of snagging when released as well.

He looked really nervous when weighting it.
  3. Tirrus

Tirrus Rope rider.

Nervous weighting it, turned down the offer to back it up, and didn't seem to care about not being equalized. Sounds suicidal to me.
  4. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

A static Rope- webbing connection isn't inherently dangerous, only if one repeatedly moves against the other. Though rope on webbing should never be used as a standard, only in a pinch.

My biggest concern would be that you effectively have 2 loops that pose a snagging hazard; the bight of the rope and the loop of webbing. You could lasso something pretty well I'd imagine.

Fiddlestick leaves nothing but clean ends.

While it is creative, there are better, simpler, safer, and proven techniques that accomplish the same thing.
  5. Tirrus

Tirrus Rope rider.

Now wouldn't a macrame, set up to retrieve the webbing, leave you with the same bight of rope, and loop of webbing? Just without the rope on webbing friction from pulling the bights through using this technique. I fiddled with this a bit yesterday, and it seemed to hold just fine, even on 6mm cord, inherently it still has the draw backs mentioned before, but if one was to use this technique, and wanted to bomb proof it for all but LAMAR, how would y'all go about it?
  6. ratagonia

ratagonia

One problem with the macrame, omnisling, this system and similar systems is that there grasping and releasing characteristics depend on certain friction properties of the ropes, and rope-on-rope or rope-on-sling interaction. I gave up on the macrame when I was showing off and made one, which then did not release. Climbed the rope, and it would not release when I was standing next to it, pulling hard. So you may get these things to release reliably with one particular rope in one particular condition (ie, dry, short rap, clean); but be very cautious to generalizing this to the general canyon environment.

Which is why we developed the FiddleStick, and tested in in widely varying conditions before releasing it to the public.

Tom
    Ram likes this.