Send us a suggestion!

The Wanchor Canyon Test- Successful

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Gear' started by Steve Woodford, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Steve Woodford

Steve Woodford

Your Water Pocket is a great idea. As for filling the Wanchor, I did the same as you by sloshing it around in the water. What I meant in my previous post was that if needed to be topped up while already set up and hanging (and also if flat and too heavy to carry), then a few potshots would do the trick to achieve the weight necessary. I will talk to Tom and see if he is interested in making them as he makes the Sandtrap. If you see any Red Sandtraps, those were made by a friend of mine who is a professional rigger for the military, so it was to Milspecs. Check out "Sandtrap Sandwich" on Youtube. For those extra long raps. Thanks for the link to Sierra. Will check it out. .....be safe out there.
    Tom Collins likes this.
  2. Steve Woodford

Steve Woodford

Oh blast...no helmet again....

Attached Files:

• 2016 reunion steve landing.
      Filename:
      2016 reunion steve landing.jpg
      File size:
      171.7 KB
      Views:
  3. Steve Woodford

Steve Woodford

qcard likes this.
  4. gajslk

gajslk

I really don't give a rat's ass about your helmet. Knock yourself out. :D I was commenting only about your attitude ...

Gordon
  5. Steve Woodford

Steve Woodford

Actually, I'm a pretty easy going person. I thought your remark about the helmets was snotty. I put a smiley face after my comment about the canyon police( I do have a sense of humor)...You could have commented on the device that I was testing, the Wanchor. You still have not commented on it, so I assume you are not very experienced at this.
    BTW, the photo of me landing under the parachute on my High School rugby field was taken at my 50th High School Re-union in South Africa in April of this year. I am wearing the kit of our 1st Rugby Team. We do not wear helmets or padding when we play rugby.
  6. gajslk

gajslk

Then you completely misunderstand me. I made a snotty comment about your snotty comment. Truly, I don't care whether you wear a helmet for anything, ever. Not my problem. I'm not your mother and I'm not a member of the canyon police. I didn't give you feedback because I have no experience with water anchors. No interest, really, but that's a different issue. As to other experience? More than some, less than others. Is it a contest? Is that why you're resurrecting a dead post? If so, I'll concede. :D

Gordon
    ratagonia likes this.
  7. Chris Walden

Chris Walden

Regardless of helmet discussion that is slick
    Steve Woodford and Rapterman like this.
  8. Eamon

Eamon

Man, that is a pretty sweet anchor creation! Although I don't really know how I feel about using a ghostable anchor, the concept is awesome and I hope to try some out with someone who knows what their doing sometime soon!
  9. Steve Woodford

Steve Woodford

Check out the "Sandtrap Sandwich" on Youtube for more info on advanced use. This is only recommended for high experience canyoneers in sand canyons where there are no anchors( either not allowed or ethically banned)
  10. Steve Woodford

Steve Woodford

I will be making the Wanchor for sale to experienced ghosting canyoneers only. It is used only with the Sandtrap. Price will be determined after we have made and tested the final version, but we will post the price within the next week. I can be contacted at sasteve49@gmail.com
    Be safe out there.... :)
  11. Steve Woodford

Steve Woodford

I am starting to make the Water Anchor(Wanchor). Actually, the original name fo the Sandtrap was the "MaxxiPad", but Tom changed the name for PC reason. :) Making the Wanchor is not as easy as the Sandtrap, which my wife, who is a certified FAA Parachute Rigger, sewed up. We used it in Powell Canyons for over 200 raps before releasing it to the general canyoneering world. We are working together on the Wanchor now. As for filling it, the same way, sloshing around and topping up with a potshot if required. Integrated with the Sandtrap, it is protected on the pull as it is enclosed fully by the Sandtrap. Disconnecting it from the Sandtrap takes about 30 seconds at the most. Will be available for $120, including cables plus shipping. Allow 2 weeks for delivery.
    Yellow Dart likes this.
  12. Canyonero

Canyonero

Wish I'd gotten this a couple weeks ago. Probably won't be in a place to use it again for a few months now. Still interested in trying it out. How do I order it?

In your video it doesn't look like it stays in the sandtrap during the pull. Is that different from what usually happens?
  13. Steve Woodford

Steve Woodford

When filled, the Wanchor is enclosed in the Sandtrap. I used a quick link small beaner attached and closing either side of the Sandtrap. This keeps it inside for the pull(which I did not use in the video). The Wanchor can be ordered by PayPal. Just send to my email address. Plus shipping of course..call me at 435-669-3094. Be safe out there....
    The new version, made from 20oz TPU Urethane plastic welded will be available by early September. It is $160 plus shipping.
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  14. bnwilso

bnwilso

I got one from Steve last week and took it out for a field test soon thereafter. Great design, workmanship and instructions. It's nice to have another very useful tool in the toolkit. Great job Steve. P1000153.JPG
    Steve Woodford and 2065toyota like this.