Send us a suggestion!

The Wanchor Canyon Test- Successful

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Gear' started by Steve Woodford, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Steve Woodford

Steve Woodford

2. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

Still can't get over the name

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    dakotabelliston and gajslk like this.
  3. dakotabelliston

dakotabelliston Living life to it's fullest

This is awesome

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
  4. Downward Bound

Downward Bound

Rappelling off a water anchor without a helmet to protect one's head in the event it fails?
    Ram likes this.
  5. Steve Woodford

Steve Woodford

And you are the Canyon Police? :)
  6. gajslk

gajslk

Wankers ... :rolleyes2:

Gordon
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  7. Downward Bound

Downward Bound

No, The helmet police job normally falls to Ratagonia, but he appeared distracted and so I jumped in to fill the role just one time!
    townsend, hank moon and Rapterman like this.
  8. Steve Woodford

Steve Woodford

You spelled it wrong...it's Wanchors not wankers. Ever used a Sandtrap?
  9. TJ Cottam

TJ Cottam Adventure Plus

The helmet would have clashed with the sandals :)
    Steve Woodford likes this.
  10. gajslk

gajslk

No, I didn't. The Wanchor was their (unfortunately named)rap anchor ...

Gordon
  11. Steve Woodford

Steve Woodford

Look, if you don't have any constructive input on the WANCHOR at all, then just back off. I don't need your politically correct attitude involved in a device that we have spent a long time developing.
  12. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

Steve,

Is there a safety that you leave engaged for all but the last man to reduce the risk of accidental opening?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ram likes this.
  13. Steve Woodford

Steve Woodford

Yes. As you can see in the video, I was a meat backup.
    Before throwing the pull rope, I stand on a loop to make sure there is no accidental pull. Then I get on rope. Sit on the edge and make a large loop of slack in the pull rope and "capture" that loop under the rap rope, effectively locking it in while rapping. Once off rope the pull is one handed easy to disengage the cables. The actual retrieval pull requires a few "bumps" to unroll the bottom opening if lying flat. In the "taco" position, hanging vertically in a pothole, the weight of the water unrolls the bottom quite easily. Just like the Sandtrap, the Wanchor requires careful experimentation with angles, water weight and sequences. Before I released the Sandtrap to the canyoneering world, we did a few 100 raps on the first one ( sewn by my wife Maria, just like the Wanchor ) at Lake Powell.
    Deagol and EvergreenDean like this.
  14. Steve Woodford

Steve Woodford

The guy wearing sandals has done Heaps, Imlay and just about every other Zion Canyon in sandals. He will wear booties with his Tevas if really cold...btw he also skydives in sandals, as do I and my wife Maria.
    TJ Cottam likes this.
  15. gajslk

gajslk

Hey, I'd have kept my mouth shut if you hadn't made the snotty comment about canyon police. How constructive was that? Some advice. If you don't want to be treated like a wanker, don't act like one. :)

Gordon
  16. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

Have you given thought to making a designated shell for the bladder?

it just seems to me that once you've "installed" the bladder in the sandtrap, that you wouldn't be inclined to remove and replace it as anchor options change through the canyon. When I set about designing the Waterpocket, I realized that carrying and extra sandtrap just to nest a water anchor in had its inconvenience. I also realized that I could get a much larger margin of safety in an anchor much larger than would fit inside a sandtrap. I just felt like I didn't want to be limited by the geometric constraints of the sandtrap. I was able to make a very streamlined, simple, and effective design.

I do like the fact that the Wanchor opens on both top and bottom though. I can see value in that for sure.
  17. Canyonero

Canyonero

I like the idea of the bag not having to fall over to drain. I'm a little skeptical about the cables, but I'm skeptical of lots of things at first.

I'd like to test it head to head against the water pocket. Can you send me one?
  18. Rapterman

Rapterman

Ah- the light bulb finally went on-
    You are THE Steve Woodford, the originator of the sand trap.
    Good work! :twothumbs:
    Your Wanchor is really interesting
    Combination of "dry bag seals" and parachute cable release system is pretty cool.
    Some complex technical sewing, me thinks.
    Getting such a device from concept to working prototype is a BIG achievement.
    Congratulations!
    :) Todd
  19. Steve Woodford

Steve Woodford

Thanks to all who have shown interest and presented some questions. I only have one that my wife Maria sewed up and we are down in Arizona for the winter. I work here at www.skydiveaz.com as a skydiving organizer in the winters now. Planning on doing some wet canyons in the area on our days off(Monday, Tuesday). If anyone is available to show us around the Tucson, Phoenix area(have only done Illusions so far in AZ.) 435-669-3094.
    As for the sewing complexity, we did not think it was too complicated. The loops/cable concept has been used thousands of times in skydiving and I have used it 13 times to disconnect from a malfunctioned parachute. My wife has also used in in that scenario too. It is very simple.
    When using the Wanchor in the taco configuration, it is not even necessary to close the top. To fill it, a potshot can be used to pour water into it while hanging in a pothole.
    As for using it in the Sandtrap, many of the canyons on Powell had water in some potholes and sand in others. It is easy to attach the Wanchor to the Sandtrap when needed. In the previous video I posted (hanging from the tree), the attachments can be easily seen.
    I like the Water Pocket idea too. Looks very solid even when flat. Curious about the weight as the Wanchor weighs about the same as a Sandtrap.
    If anyone is interested I can send you info on making one. sasteve49@gmail.com
    Be safe out there....
  20. Canyonero

Canyonero

My water pocket is smaller and weighs less than my sand trap. It also is very easy to fill by sloshing it around in the pothole. I would hate to have to fill it with potshots, that would be a major downside of using the wanchor. I mean, that's probably a dozen or more potshots, maybe two dozen, dunno.

I'm probably not qualified to make my own, and certainly not interested. But if you do decide to make more, I would gladly compensate you for material, shipping, time, and something extra.

I've only done one canyon in AZ, last November, but will be spending this Thanksgiving in Texas instead. It was Sierra Canyon. http://www.canyonchronicles.com/sierra-canyon

It was okay, but certainly nothing special compared to what is available in the Glen Canyon area. You should have no difficulty finding it and getting down it as there is a lot of beta out there and the routefinding is pretty straightforward. I wouldn't count on being able to use the Wanchor there though.