Send us a suggestion!

The Return of the Aussies - timing/suggestions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rachel_from_oz, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Rachel_from_oz

Rachel_from_oz

Hi everyone,

My husband, Tom, & I spent 4 weeks canyoneering in Utah in 2013 (see the linked thread or bottom of this post for what we did then) and had such an amazing time we've been talking about coming back ever since. So we're planning another 4 week trip this year. This time we're hoping to spend around a week in the Escalante area and a week in Robber's Roost, we'll also try and get to Arches NP & the Grand Canyon as we missed out last time due to the Federal Government shutdown.

Specific questions at the moment are:
    - Is there likely to be much difference in canyoneering conditions if we visited for all of September compared to mid-Sept to mid-Oct? We need to book in leave from work and book flights so it's our most pressing decision!
    - Any thoughts on an itinerary for a few days in Escalante and Robber's Roost? We figure we're comfortable with anything graded 3A/3B, and possibly some 4A/4B depending on what the additional difficulties are that bump things up to 4 (we don't tend to have many canyons in Australia which would qualify as a 4). We do a lot of a multi-day off track bushwalking (backpacking I think is US terminology) so are comfortable with navigation / longer approach hikes.

Thanks

Rachel

Canyons from our 2013 trip
    - Pine Creek
    - Birch Hollow
    - Russell Gulch & The Subway
    - Middle Echo
    - Orderville
    - Spry
    - Behunin
    - Mystery
    - Fat Man's Misery
    - Cassidy Arch
    - Middle Leprachaun
    - Slideanide
    - Arscenic
    - Zero Gravity
    - a look at Pleaides but a bit too much snow / water
    - Medieval Chamber (Morning Glory Arch)
    - Ding & Dang
    - Blarney (left and right)
    - Hogwarts
    - Black Hole of White Canyon
    ropeslinger, Ram and John Styrnol like this.
  2. Ram

Ram

While flash flooding can and does happen any month of the year, the monsoon's most likely times are July thru mid September. October is a lovely canyoneering month too. Also sometimes the more eastern areas you are going to, has daytime and evening bugs still lingering into early October. Less likely to be annoyed by these if you go your later date options and go to your eastern destinations last. TR's when you get back please:thumbsup:
    Ram
    ropeslinger and Rachel_from_oz like this.
  3. ratagonia

ratagonia

I concur, Dr. Ramoo. But to state more simply: Mid-September to Mid October is most likely better than 2 weeks earlier.

Tom
    Mike Rogers and Rachel_from_oz like this.
  4. ropeslinger

ropeslinger

Hi Rachel - Congrats on your trip! I realize that you asked for recommendations specifically for Escalante and Robbers Roost but while you're in Arches NP, you might want to check out U-Turn and Elephant Butte. Both are relatively straightforward yet very rewarding canyons. It's possible to spend most of your day visiting all of the noteworthy parts within the main Park and then on your way out, you can do U-Turn which offers great views at sunset. Also, it only takes a couple hours. Elephant Butte is more of a hike with some upclimbs and two rappels mixed in but you get a great view of the park and the La Sal Mountains. Good luck with the trip planning!

https://www.roadtripryan.com/go/t/utah/moab/uturn
    https://www.roadtripryan.com/go/t/utah/moab/elephantbutte
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
    Rachel_from_oz likes this.
  5. Canyonero

Canyonero

I'm just curious what the doctorate is in? Canyoneering? Or is there something I don't know about El Ramster?
  6. Rachel_from_oz

Rachel_from_oz

Perfect, thanks for the feedback. We'll do mid-Sep to mid-Oct.

Happy for suggestions anywhere! Given the landscape/environment is all unusual for us we're happy with things not having to be super-technical for them to be fun. Plus Tom is pretty keen on his photography so sunset/sunrise view recommendations are particularly good.
  7. John Styrnol

John Styrnol

Checkout the White Roost area, Robbers Roost area.
    Rachel_from_oz likes this.
  8. Kuenn

Kuenn

Also nearby are a couple favorites, Tierdrop and Dragonfly.

If Tom likes sunrise ops, Mesa Arch (about an hour drive from Moab and short hike in) is a favorite photographer's place.
    ratagonia and Rachel_from_oz like this.
  9. Rachel_from_oz

Rachel_from_oz

Thanks to everyone who gave me tips was back in January. We have now been and gone.
    We ended up with a reasonable haul of canyons, though between the weather being a bit iffy and Tom having various injuries we didn't quite get everything we'd planned done.

I've put some photos up in the Trip Report thread http://canyoncollective.com/threads/3-week-tour-of-se-utah.24981/ Tom will no doubt take weeks if not months to finalise his photos but once he does I'll post a link.

Canyon list from this trip:
    Keyhole, Zion
    Deadeye Dick & Mighty Mouse, Zion
    Diana's Throne, Zion
    Kanarra Creek (non-technical)
    Zebra and Tunnel, Escalante (non-technical)
    Eqypt 3, Escalante
    Neon, Escalante
    Upper Red Breaks, Escalante
    Bell and Little Wild Horse, San Rafael Swell (non-technical)
    Baptist Draw & Upper Chute, San Rafael Swell
    Elephant Butte, Moab
    White Roost (East Fork), Robbers Roost
    Hog 2, North Wash
    Monkey Business, North Wash
    Morocco, North Wash
    North Fork of Robbers Roost, Robbers Roost
    Larry, Robbers Roost
    Little West Fork & up Main Fork of Blue John, Robbers Roost
    Fry, Cedar Mesa
    ratagonia likes this.
  10. tom_brennan