Send us a suggestion!

News The new bolt in Poe canyon

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by EvergreenDean, Oct 29, 2018.

1. EvergreenDean

EvergreenDean OK with what happens

The new bolt that recently sprung up at the Pit of Despair is no longer there. Although the Pit has been a swim across for the last two weeks, water is dropping daily and most of our group struggled to escape without help on Saturday. Go prepared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bill and ratagonia like this.
  2. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

Dean, is the subsequent hole in need of revision or repair?

I’m considering a trip to go patch it up and perhaps take on some other maintenance issues in there.

Any idea who placed it? Wondering if it was used to aid in the throw and/or rappel into the pit when water was very low this past spring/summer.
  3. John Diener

John Diener

Can't speak to the (unknown) placer's reasoning, but it was located such that it could be used to both assist the throw and the rap. When our group was there a couple weeks ago we found a couple of other interesting things. One was that I believe both pendulum bolts had quickdraws on them, so it looks like the high route is getting some use. Second, there was webbing on a small arch RDC just below the Pit, with 30-40 ft. of 6mm cord attached - we believe someone had left the problem fixed, but subsequent flooding had blown the line out of the Pit and downstream into the next pothole. We cleaned all that out.
    -john
    Bootboy likes this.
  4. mattwilliams

mattwilliams

Taylor, if you are doing maintenance, it'd be good to remove/replace that one manky old bolt where about a third of it is exposed. I cringe every time I rap on that thing. Being in the watercourse, it looks to be causing some significant erosion as well.
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  5. EvergreenDean

The bolt/hanger was high on canyon left at the throw location. It would allow you to lean into the throw and get a lot of leverage I’m sure. Actually the bolt has not been chopped but the hanger and nut are gone. If someone is going in soon it would be good to bring a bolt removal kit and patch it up. There is rumor that a known, skilled group got stuck there for five hours recently and placed the bolt in desperation. It would be nice to hear directly from them, and I’m pretty sure they are on this forum. I understand bolting in emergency situations and we could all learn from their experience I’m sure.

6. ratagonia

ratagonia

So there is a stud sticking out?
  7. Mike Zampino

Mike Zampino Canyon season never ends.

I would be interested if you are looking for others to join. :)
  8. EvergreenDean

Yup

9. Evan Christensen

Evan Christensen Evan C

Is it better to leave the stud in place to allow others to potentially use it if they become desperate or to remove it/cut it and possibly see the same thing appear later?
  10. Ram

Ram

Bolting within GCNRA is illegal. It is good that it was removed. I suspect the job will be finished soon and patched, hopefully to near invisibility. If indeed it was an emergency placement, then perhaps responsibility for it's removal, directly or by proxy, should have been undertaken by the group that placed it.

Friends told me that the bolt, with sling, did make the throw easier. Other methods are available to pass this very real challenge, without fixed anchors.
    Hints....Support the left foot of the thrower, with a shoulder. Toss rope in front of the potshot, to reduce drag. Lower trajectory equals longer throws, compared with what feels instinctive. Practice before you go...It is 44 feet. Practice to get better. The Boot, fell short on one trip, practiced like crazy, at home and increased his length substantially, to good effect, on subsequent trips. Use that new method shared on this group recently. Where a person behind the thrower, adds thrust on the toss (Where is that thread? Could not find it).

A lot of people have done the canyon now. Many have been stuck for a period. Real challenge and adventure lay in the uncertainty. Bring talent. Prepare well. Innovate. Be safe.

Become bigger. Don't make the canyon smaller.
    R
  11. ratagonia

ratagonia

My experience in canyons is that, in general, when retro-bolts are placed, and then removed, they do not appear again.

Tom
  12. Evan Christensen

Evan Christensen Evan C

You are a wise man Ram. I hope to do a canyon with you some day.
  13. Ram

Ram

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  14. Sandstone Addiction

Sandstone Addiction Headed South

EvergreenDean, Morgerator and Ram like this.
  15. Evan Christensen

Evan Christensen Evan C

16. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

Everyone’s different, but that’s what I use. Just make sure it’s a new one with no holes in it.
    Evan Christensen likes this.
  17. John Diener

John Diener

That is all really good stuff. A few weeks ago when we found the Pit full, we still spent time there playing around. One of our group did find that the using an etrier for their left foot, hanging off the now removed bolt, was the difference between making and not making the toss for them. Done right, that should be equivalent to the shoulder approach, which is cool teamwork (and brings the group up to the canyon, rather than the canyon down to the group). We experimented with the new thrown pendulum technique, and although it made for some longer throws for the individual(s) trying it, none made it. Which tells me (a) Anthony is crazy talented, and (b) it is hard to be really effective at it without some solid practice, unless (a). Also, I made some throws for the fun of it, and found my first few to be horribly lame, not having done a toss in 6+ months... a nice in-the-face reminder that there is a little coordination involved and practice is a good idea!

My first visit to the place was in 2012. As a likely tosser, I spent time practicing and coming up with little things to eke out some extra distance. For example, I found by throwing the bag using a webbing strap rather than the rope, and by tying up the empty part of the bag (approx. 2/3+) with some string to reduce air drag, I could add 4-6+ ft to a throw. Not that much, but it could be all that was needed. Not necessarily recommending those exact techniques, but rather that some prep be done beforehand to gain knowledge with what works and what doesn't. In the case of that 2012 trip, that stuff turned out to be overkill, but I'm a canyon scaredy-cat and prefer to be overprepped rather than under! ;)

-john

Attached Files:

• poe.jpg
      File size:
      151 KB
      Views:
  18. ratagonia

ratagonia

Super support that.

Here is John's picture. Looks like he is throwing it past the sunlit ridge... (hmmm, would not post into the post for me, either... Jeremy????????)
    diener Poe.jpg

Attached Files:

Ram likes this.