Send us a suggestion!

The new 5.10 Canyoneers

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Gear' started by SCard, Jun 20, 2014.

1. SCard

SCard

[A discussion began in another thread about the new 5.10 Canyoneers; I've moved those posts to this new thread]

Another possible caption - "5.10 buckle defect" (Glad to see the new prototypes have laces.)
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2014
  2. Ram

Ram

I LIKE the buckle 5.10's!! New ones have laces? Ugh! Laces and the way I smear including the top of my feet? ugh again~! Will need to buy out the old ones. When the change coming?
  3. Deagol

Deagol too many hobbies

didn't wanna derail the thread but
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?72463-5-10-Canyoneer-3-shoes

Edit: I'm outa here till Tuesday, everyone have a great weekend.
    San Juans, here I come !
  4. SCard

SCard

Now you have me curious. How do you smear with the top of your feet? Need some tech tip photos on this subject! :) I too like the buckles but the cheap little strap holders seem to last about one trip then you have floppy buckle straps for the rest of the life of the shoe.
    Ram likes this.
  5. ratagonia

ratagonia

Counselor - I think you overstate your case. The buckle is working fine. The little holder break-away widget is no longer in place. It is not really needed as its primary purpose is to make the shoe look better in the showroom. If they wanted it to last, it would be so much sturdier.

I, too, am a fan of the buckles, and am skeptical of the laces. (Sigh)

Tom
    Ram likes this.
  6. Ram

Ram

I will take some pictures of this in the fall. Foot camming is a useful method, both in holding one nicely off the ground, but also for jamming in constrictions. I use EVERY part of my body in the art of what we call "controlled falling"
  7. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Is that an X slot?

Use a loose zip tie. Accepts the buckle, and prevents flop.
    SCard and Ram like this.
  8. Ram

Ram

Also I have seen people snip most of the buckle off. That seems to work too.
    SCard likes this.
  9. SCard

SCard

Good suggestions Mountaineer and Ram. I have had the floppy strap catch on things which is concerning. I was considering cutting the strap but hadn't thought about using a zip tie. Hmmm. Something to consider.

That being said, I like the buckle and strap just fine, just not floppy straps caused by a broken thingy that holds the strap in place. I see the biggest problem with laces to be at Freezefest or other similar insane winter canyonering adventures. Trying to untie frozen laces with numb stumps would be difficult. Also difficult would be trying to tie frozen laces. My other concern is that with the straps, me being one who has a narrow foot, I can make another hole in the strap if needed to cinch up the boot even more. With laces, that will probably not be possible.

Ram, I understand the foot jams, I have certainly done that (intentionally and unintentionally :blush:) and I can see where laces may not survive too much of that. Fortunately or unfortunately I don't do too much of that foot camming/jamming. I am just not good enough yet to scrape the top of my foot up enough to be too concerned with that particular potential lace issue. Where you speak of controlled falling, I worry too much about falling to get too crazy.
    Ram likes this.
  10. Ram

Ram

I have seen cut straps but never done it myself. I was concerned that it might be hard to get the leverage to cinch them down. The strap has caught rope more than anything else.getting on rap, bagging etc.

I just assume that I will tear up the laces because I am VERY hard on my gear. I am the place gear goes to die. Probably why i get asked to test new products.

You brought up something I had not considered. Sub freezing canyoneering with laces is sure to be problematic. Without even trying the new shoe, I will guess that I will save some buckle shoe for the dozen plus days of cold water/ice canyoneering.

Making another hole in the strap of the buckle is something I have considered often. My friends take anything sharp from me right away (And don't give it back latter). My shoes get looser with wear and harder cinch down. I think this is the #1 reason I get new ones. With Canyoneer 1's the tops would shred and the rubber was so soft. The 2's are much sturdier (slightly worse for climbing) but its when my foot starts rolling around inside the shoe (something my limited ability can ill afford) that I look for new ones.
  11. Doug Van Etten

Doug Van Etten

So are these out on the shelf for sale? If not, when are they expected?
  12. Ram

Ram

My understanding is that February 2015 is a firm date.