Send us a suggestion!

The Little Colorado, the ride!

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by canyoncrazy, Oct 1, 2009.

1. canyoncrazy

canyoncrazy Guest

Hello All,

On this group a few months ago we were told of the Navajo's outrageous plans for the little Colorado. Things that involve a escalator, most likely stairs to Blue Pool Spring, tours of the spring, a hotel, helicopter flights, rafting and other ridiculous "attractions" in the pristine canyon.

So I cross checked these claims with a friend of mine who is an attorney for the Navajo, she confirmed all the plans are in the "planning" stages now.

So people, this may become a reality. What can we do to stop it. . . . well not much because Navajo's have complete jurisdiction over the land that the United States has given them.

But wait! There is hope! I contacted the Navajo parks and rec via email and I did get a response. A rather interesting few at that. So one way to get the hiking community's feelings acknowledged is to contact them! Here are the adresses if any members of the group would like to write a letter of concern over the commercialization of the Little Colorado. Here are the two contact addresses: navajoparks@yahoo.com

mlbegaye@hotmail.com

Also I was told by my Navajo friend, to contact the Nature conservatory, Sierra Club- Grand canyon chapter as well. Those organizations have the capitally of blocking the construction proposed for the Little Colorado- because it is a water way that flows into a National Park.

Worldwide Office The Nature Conservancy 4245 North Fairfax Drive, Suite 100 Arlington, VA 22203-1606

Sierra Club, Grand Canyon Chapter, 202 E. McDowell Rd, Suite 277 Phoenix, AZ 85004 (602) 253-8633

Please send a letter and a email if you would like to stop or try to stop the Little Colorado from becoming a theme park rather than a place of solitude. -Sara
  2. ratagonia

ratagonia Guest

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "canyoncrazy" <canyoncrazy@...> wrote:
    Hello All,
    On this group a few months ago we were told of the Navajo's outrageous plans for the little Colorado. Things that involve a escalator, most likely stairs to Blue Pool Spring, tours of the spring, a hotel, helicopter flights, rafting and other ridiculous "attractions" in the pristine canyon.
    So I cross checked these claims with a friend of mine who is an attorney for the Navajo, she confirmed all the plans are in the "planning" stages now.
    So people, this may become a reality. What can we do to stop it. . . . well not much because Navajo's have complete jurisdiction over the land that the United States has given them.
    But wait! There is hope! I contacted the Navajo parks and rec via email and I did get a response. A rather interesting few at that. So one way to get the hiking community's feelings acknowledged is to contact them! Here are the adresses if any members of the group would like to write a letter of concern over the commercialization of the Little Colorado. > Here are the two contact addresses: > navajoparks@...
    mlbegaye@...
    Also I was told by my Navajo friend, to contact the Nature conservatory, Sierra Club- Grand canyon chapter as well. Those organizations have the capitally of blocking the construction proposed for the Little Colorado- because it is a water way that flows into a National Park.
    Worldwide Office > The Nature Conservancy > 4245 North Fairfax Drive, Suite 100 > Arlington, VA 22203-1606
    Sierra Club, Grand Canyon Chapter, > 202 E. McDowell Rd, Suite 277 > Phoenix, AZ 85004 > (602) 253-8633
    Please send a letter and a email if you would like to stop or try to stop the Little Colorado from becoming a theme park rather than a place of solitude. > -Sara >

Email addresses need to be written out ( myemail at gmail dot com ) in order to escape the yahoo email address suppression robot.

Tom
  3. ratagonia

ratagonia Guest

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "canyoncrazy" <canyoncrazy@...> wrote:
    because Navajo's have complete jurisdiction over the land that the United States has given them.

Interesting version of history, there.

May I suggest:

The Book of the Navajo (Paperback) by Raymond Locke

sad story, excellent story telling.

http://tinyurl.com/ycfo6u8

Tom