Send us a suggestion!

News THE GREAT CONJUNCTION OF JUPITER & SATURN

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ram, Dec 12, 2020.

1. Ram

Ram

THE GREAT CONJUNCTION OF JUPITER & SATURN: It's only 9 days away--The Great Conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn. The two giant planets are converging for their finest naked-eye pairing in nearly 800 years. Here they are, shining through the slit of John Chumack's backyard observatory dome in Yellow Springs, Ohio:

[​IMG]

"A very rare event is starting!" says Chumack. "Because of COVID restrictions, I can't host an event at my observatory, so I texted several of my friends to watch it. The planets are so bright, you don’t need a telescope to enjoy this event. Texting is a great way to enjoy it with others."

On Dec. 21st, the two planets will lie just 0.1 degrees apart. That’s so close, some people will perceive them as a single brilliant star. Viewed through binoculars or a small telescope, ringed Saturn will appear as close to Jupiter as some of Jupiter’s moons. Other dates of special interest include Dec. 16th and 17th when the crescent Moon briefly joins the conjunction. Look west at sunset and enjoy the show! Sky maps: Dec. 16, 17; Dec. 21.

Realtime Spaceweather Photo Gallery
    Free:
    Spaceweather.com Newsletter
    Yellow Dart, Kuenn, hank moon and 2 others like this.
  2. Ram

Ram

REMINDER...THE SHOW EARLY TONIGHT.
    Happy solstice.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
    Rapterman likes this.
  3. 2065toyota

2065toyota

Just looked through my spotting scope. Can easily identify the moons and Saturn
    Rapterman and Ram like this.