Send us a suggestion!

The future of canyoneering?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NateFlet, Dec 3, 2019 at 3:10 PM.

1. NateFlet

NateFlet

A friend of mine delving into the world of base jumping had recently shown me this really cool video. I quickly noticed that they're actually base jumping these waterfalls that they're accessing via canyoneering (Around 1:40 in the video). Figured that the canyoneering community would be as interested into the concept as I am. Any opinions/comments?

Jake Freimanis likes this.
  2. Jake Freimanis

Jake Freimanis Ours is a quiet fear

Dude that looks amazing!! I love how as more people gain access to rope activities the line between climbing, canyoneering, mountaineering, skiing, parasailing and everything else is blurring. Leading to some really cool innovations like this = )
    NateFlet likes this.
  3. NateFlet

NateFlet

I know right!! Really makes you think about whats really possible when it comes to larger canyons with massive drops
  4. yetigonecrazy1

yetigonecrazy1

There was a crew from Crested Butte that did something like that this past summer. Search on this site for it, "Purple People Eater". Flew in with parachutes, landed, and then descended a canyon.
  5. NateFlet

NateFlet

Ahh yea I saw that! That was also quite a cool way to access a canyon.
  6. ratagonia

ratagonia

A paraglider is only a parachute in the hugest tent interpretation of the word parachute.

Wikipedia: The glide ratio of paragliders ranges from 9.3 for recreational wings to about 11.3 for modern competition models,[16] reaching in some cases up to 13.[17] For comparison, a typical skydiving parachute will achieve about 3:1 glide. A hang glider ranges from 9.5 for recreational wings to about 16.5 for modern competition models. An idling (gliding) Cessna 152 light aircraft will achieve 9:1. Some sailplanes can achieve a glide ratio of up to 72:1.

T
    yetigonecrazy1 likes this.