Send us a suggestion!

The Chamber of The Basalisk

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by wisconnyjohnny, Mar 11, 2017.

1. wisconnyjohnny

wisconnyjohnny Stemming Minions

Girlfriend and I headed out Monday From Escalante for a little canyoneer vacation before season starts in earnest in these parts. We had attempted to find The Goblins Lair about a month ago with no luck. Our GPS cords we got online as well as route was 100s of yards off. (Not gonna mention websites) This time however we took the non sketchy way and found it immediately. Someone has placed two 6 foot sheaths of plastic padding over the rope grooves so core shot is not a problem on your pull.
    Girlfriend had never done a rap over 30 feet much less a free hang so she was an entertaining wreck as I got on rope and started to go down. Very beautiful rap. Nobody in the chamber. Girlfriend was next and I double checked verbally once and twice that she was in the rap line correctly. She assured me she was at which point we had agreed that she would then throw the rope bag with the pull side so as not to confuse what rope she was getting on.
    IT WORKED.!!! She did well for her first free hang. We hung out in the chamber a bit while I polished down a PBR.
    On the way back to the car we were followed by a red tail hawk I assumed was waiting for us to disturb a small rodent.

IMG_4763.JPG IMG_4772.JPG
  2. wisconnyjohnny

3. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

Actually you should mention which websites so they can be corrected. Most website writers would be happy to get corrections if the coordinates are off and they would be happy to make the correction.
  4. wisconnyjohnny

IMG_4982.JPG
    ok i posted right cords on page where we got wrong ones from. if ya look at stuff marked RTR in picture that is wrong. not marked rtr is correct. you can see how off the cords are.
  5. Moab Mark

Moab Mark

Did this the other day. Climb-Utah beta takes u right to it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
  6. Kevin

Kevin

Thanks, can you please specify the site you pulled the incorrect coordinates from?
  7. hank moon

hank moon lovely ligatures

Hi @wisconnyjohnny

It sounds as if you and your girlfriend were the only people on this trip? If so, would you mind describing your rescue plan in case your girlfriend had gotten stuck on rappel with you at the bottom? Also, echoing others' requests that you post where you obtained the wrong GPS coordinates. Doing so may immediately help others avoid the same mistake.

hank
    Kuenn and Kevin like this.