Send us a suggestion!

News THE BIGGEST FULL MOON IN ALMOST 70 YEARS

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ram, Nov 12, 2016.

1. Ram

Ram

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

THE BIGGEST FULL MOON IN ALMOST 70 YEARS: On Monday, Nov. 14th, there's going to be a full Moon--the biggest and brightest in almost 70 years. The best time to look in North America is before sunrise on Monday morning, while in Europe the best time is after sunset on the same day.

"The last time we had such a close full Moon was January 26, 1948," says Geoff Chester of the US Naval Observatory, "and it won't happen again until November 25, 2034."

[​IMG]

Full moons vary in size because the Moon's orbit is not a circle, it's an ellipse: diagram. One side of the Moon's orbit, called "perigee," is 50,000 km closer to Earth than the other side, "apogee." This Monday's "supermoon" becomes full about 2 hours away from perigee, a coincidence that makes it as much as 14% bigger and 30% brighter than lesser moons we have seen in the past.

But will we be able to tell the difference ... just by looking? A 30% difference in brightness can easily be masked by clouds or the glare of urban lights. Also, there are no rulers floating in the sky to measure lunar diameters. Hanging high overhead with no reference points to provide a sense of scale, one full Moon looks much like any other.

"I think that the hype over the term 'supermoon' is a bit overblown," says Chester. "In my book every full Moon has something to offer!"

To get the most out of Monday's apparition, try to catch the Moon just as it is rising or setting. This will activate the Moon Illusion and make the perigee Moon of Nov. 14th look super, indeed.
    Rapterman, Kuenn and John Styrnol like this.
  2. Kuenn

Kuenn

Taking advantage of the Supermoon event this evening with #1 and #2 grandchildren, Sipsey and Brindlee, celestial body gazing. Good times with the young'uns!

Besides, it could be raining the next time she shines like this... in 2034.

IMG_20161114_182258.
    IMG_20161114_182348.

"The only thing worse than being blind is having sight and no vision."
    ― Helen Keller
  3. Dan Ransom

Dan Ransom Staff Member

Ever seen a sunset from Herriman? Yeah, me either. Hopefully never again. But I was stuck in town and figured I had to get as far west as possible to have any chance of twilight before the sky faded to black. Lone Peak in the foreground.

SuperMoon.
  4. Deagol

Deagol too many hobbies

Kuenn,

Is that a 6" reflector ??
  5. Kuenn

Kuenn

8"

An Orion Skyquest XT8. What was amazing to me was the pic quality. My son took the moon shot by holding his smart phone up to the eye piece - Google Pixel phone.
    Deagol likes this.
  6. Deagol

Deagol too many hobbies

Nice. I have a 5" Schmidt Cassagrain...

I saw the star behind (or in front) of the Veil Nebula last night, but there was way too much light pollution (from human sources, not the moon) to see the slightest hint of it.
    Kuenn likes this.