Send us a suggestion!

That was odd. Canyon happenings.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tayres, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Tayres

Tayres

This thread below made me think of unexpected happenings while in canyons...

My question for those willing to share...
    What is an event that occurred in a canyon that was very unexpected or out of the ordinary. Ill share a quick one...

Not sure of the year but we were in the black hole when there was the signage at the trailhead about not venturing in the black hole. We decided we would go as far as we felt comfortable and retreat if we felt like we were in over our heads. We were having a great time and every now and then we would get a quick whiff of camp fire smoke and thought that was weird but didn't think much of it. After one log soup section we came to a fire that was wall to wall. We couldn't believe what we were seeing. We looked at each other, thinking, you never know what is going to happen down in these slots. We sure never expected this. This was before we had nice drain holes in our packs so we emptied our packs and transported water for a solid hour trying to get enough confidence to skirt an edge of the blaze. We would periodically test the solidness of where we anticipated where our feet would need to be supported by throwing large rocks into the debris. More than not, the rocks would disappear thus eliminating that spot as a foot hold. We eventually built up enough courage in the areas where the rocks weren't disappearing and finally made it through the wall to wall blaze.

We later learned the next week that there was a rescue in the canyon a day or two before we entered the canyon. The sar decided to put the log jam to blaze per the article.

I know there are many a canyon tale out there...if your willing to share it would be fun to hear some.
  2. Ram

Ram

Troy

this from the yahoo archives

http://canyoncollective.com/threads/black-hole-update.5155/#post-16516

San Juan County was desperate to eliminate travel there. They were not qualified for rescues (except Dave Black, who they loathed). The Hole caused a lot of SAR under good conditions. The idea of setting fire to it was NUTS! No one talkin that had any idea of the scope of the thing.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Kevin likes this.
  3. Tayres

Tayres

Ram,
    Thanks for the link about this. It was quite a sight to see a fire wall to wall. Very unexpected.
  4. EvergreenDean

EvergreenDean OK with what happens

I have a couple.

A few years ago a group of us had just finished the final rappel from Imlay into the Narrows and were starting to hike out. There were two European tourists, a man and a woman, that had watched us rap out and had started hiking ahead of us. The skies were clear and we hadn't seen a cloud all day. Suddenly I heard a boom that sounded like a bomb going off right down the canyon. The canyon walls shook with the force. We then saw a cloud of dust rising from the canyon floor less than 100 yards in front of us and some rock debris tumbling down the left wall. We realized that we had just missed a very large boulder that had fallen from canyon left. Its remnants now lay in the river bed and the biggest hunk was about the size of a refrigerator. If we had been a minute faster, we would have been right in its path. The European couple was even closer and the woman was visibly shaken. They bolted down canyon as we stopped to marvel at our good fortune and timing.

Another unexpected discovery came during my only trip through Shenanigans. It was a beautiful fall day and temps had been in the 70s. We reached the slanted section, before the canyon gets seriously narrow, perhaps between the first and second narrows? and we ran into an eight to ten foot barrier of hail. It had the consistency of old snow and was covered in red dust so it was a few days old at least but we couldn't figure out why there were no other remnants of this storm anywhere in the canyon except in this one spot. It was actually a challenge to navigate as we post holed through and over it. Must have been a powerful storm to deposit a hail barrier that was perhaps 30 feet long and filling the entire slot well over our heads. Still unsure as to why this was the only place it built up. Strange stuff in those canyons.
    Tayres, MrAdam, Kevin and 1 other person like this.
  5. Sandstone Addiction

Sandstone Addiction Headed South

Do you think it could have possibly been washed down the canyon by flood water and then piled up in the same sort of way as a log jam? Regardless, that must have been a sight to see.
  6. Ram

Ram

Possibly an accumulation from flood. I think more likely, from my observations is... A very localized hail/sleet storm than came down a side drainage, not easily discernable from within the slot. This is sort of the way Echo gets those huge sniow accumulations in the same two locations, during every big snow year. In Echo's case it is the angle of the slope on Cable Mountain that consistantlty sluffs the snow into the canyon. In Happy Dog and Poe, it was clearly a side drainage accumulation. It is all so interesting, trying to make sense of what we see. :confused:
    EvergreenDean and Tayres like this.