Send us a suggestion!

~Tech ...pothole strategies

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by Matt Smith, Jun 18, 2003.

1. Matt Smith

Matt Smith Guest

I have carried my "Body Bag" system through several canyons over the past couple of years, but never had occassion to use it due to high water, convenient logs or rocks or getting rained out.

Essentially I made several ~1.5 liter size bags that I sewed out of cordura (light weight stuff, maybe 100D). I sewed webbing into the hem to try and prevent the grommets from ripping out. Ended up pretty robust. I have a 20' of 4 mm cord for each bag, that also comes in handy with a couple of other "tools" I carry. Having several short pieces of cord can be very useful. The bags and cord can be used in various combinations to achieve the desired result, and are strong enough that the grommets won't rip out when they are full of rocks or sand. Turns out that about 1.5 liters is about the right size bag if you have to throw it up over a lip full of rocks or sand. By using 5 or 6 bags, (at say 4 lb/L based on 113 lb/ft^3 sand) each bag weighing about 6 pounds, you can get between 30-40 pounds up over an edge pretty easily. The cordura gets pretty good friction on rock.

Like I mentioned, I have never had the need to use this in a real exit situation, but goofing around with it, I have come up with several ways it can be used. For the weight conscious canyoneer, Tom's rope silos are built pretty tough, and though he may not appreciate the suggestion, could make decent toss bags without having to carry extra gear.

BTW, a 1.5 liter bag is also about the right size for a Chihuahua. Once he lands he can pull the bag over and wrap it around a stump or a rock for a good solid exit.

MS
  2. tom

tom Guest

> BTW, a 1.5 liter bag is also about the right size for a Chihuahua. Once he lands he can pull the bag over and wrap it around a stump or a rock for a good solid exit. >

Aaah - This must be the canyoneering equivalent to the "disposable avalanche poodle" used in mountaineering to test crevasses, cornices, and the like...

-t-
  3. Randi

Randi Guest

Thanks a bunch for all the tech info on potholes! GREAT ideas, and methods. I especially like the small bag toss idea......and using parachute cord. I can't wait to find myself in a pothole predicament (that I'm well prepared to handle). Aside from all the debates (which I have a lot of fun with!) this is a great group for learning, sharing, and making new friends!

Which brings me to this question. Anyone want to volunteer (who has solid canyoneering skills, and has been there) to take myself and two skilled friends through Heaps? Sometime this year would be great!!!

IF anyone is remotely interested....e-mail me. Thanks in advance IF I hear from any of you! ; )

-R

tom tj_wetherell@yahoo.com> wrote: > BTW, a 1.5 liter bag is also about the right size for a Chihuahua. Once he lands he can pull the bag over and wrap it around a stump or a rock for a good solid exit. >

Aaah - This must be the canyoneering equivalent to the "disposable avalanche poodle" used in mountaineering to test crevasses, cornices, and the like...

-t-

Groups Sponsor When you post, please change the Subject appropriately, to make reading and searching easier. You can use the following abbreviations: TRIP = Trip Report; BETA = Canyon Beta; PARTNER = Partner and/or Rides; ETHICS = Ethics; TECH = Technical Questions and Tips; BIZ = E Group Business; SALE = Stuff for Sale. Please use a Tilde ~ after the abbreviation, so we know you are coding for us, such as:

Subject: BIZ~ New Abbreviation List - working?

Bombastic Bolt Debates are allowed to only a limited extent. Folks should go to the Canyoneer Group for a truly un-moderated forum. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canyoneer

To change your delivery options, go to the Canyons Egroup page on yahoo: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canyons/

This will require logging into Yahoo. Click on the "Edit My Membership" link, and change your delivery option. Press "Save Changes".

WEB ONLY OPTION will not deliver email; you must visit the web site to view messages.

Your use of Groups is subject to the Terms of Service.