Send us a suggestion!

TECH~ Book Recommendation

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by K. McNitt, Apr 6, 2005.

1. K. McNitt

K. McNitt Guest

Hi All,

I have been lurking for a little while trying learn about canyoneering.

I am looking for suggested reading materials.

What book would you recommend on knot tying and uses?

What book would you recommend on rapelling?

Is there a must read on climbing?

Any cayoneering books that you would recommend for a novice that explains technique?

Thanks for any and all information.

Kevin in Michigan

2. "K. McNitt" mcnitt@yahoo.com> wrote: Hi All,

+++ 'Knots for Climbers' by Craig Lubben (This is the best basic knot book by far!)

What book would you recommend on rappelling?

++++ I DO NOT HAVE A SOLID RECOMMENDATION HERE / Getting personal instruction from a qualified source is best.

Is there a must read on climbing? ++++ 'Freedom of the Hills' / 'Climbing Anchors' - John Long

Any cayoneering books that you would recommend for a novice that explains technique?

+++ Natural anchors article @ Canyoneering.com by Dave Black / Most comprehensive technical reference found on the net is the forums @ Canyoneering.net / If the ACA ever gets their technical canyoneering book finished it should be good.

++++ If you read French or German I will add to this list of books.

Kevin in Michigan

Better first dates. More second dates. Personals
  3. Randi Poer

Randi Poer Guest

On Rope is a good book. Most of the book is geared for cavers, but there's a wealth of information that will cross over into canyoneering. So many of the techniques are similar.

Something that just came across the wire which looks interesting (also geared toward caving) http://www.draftlight.net/lifeonaline/

I don't think there are any canyoneering technique books on the market yet (In English), but lots of folks are waiting on the ACA to publish one.

Knots: There are all kinds of books on knots, but you can probably get most of info. on the net. I own and like "The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Knots and Ropework by Geoffrey Budworth" It's got easy to follow instructions and pictures.

Have fun. Be safe.

~Randi

K. McNitt" mcnitt@yahoo.com> wrote: Hi All,

Kevin in Michigan
  4. onkaluna

onkaluna Guest

> What book would you recommend on knot tying and uses?

Knots for Climbers by Craig Luebben

> What book would you recommend on rapelling?

How to Rappel by Craig Luebben

> Is there a must read on climbing?

How to Rock Climb by John Long and/or Mountaineering: The Freedom of the Hills by many authors and editors

> Any cayoneering books that you would recommend for a > novice that explains technique?

Wait to buy manuals coming out later this year from ACA and Stefan Hofman . In the meantime, read the ACA canyoneering primer

http://www.canyoneering.net/pdf/canyoneering.pdf

and the anchors article by Dave Black:

http://canyoneeringusa.com/mag/issue1/natural.htm
  5. Donna Mc

Donna Mc Guest

Books!!

"Mountaineering: Freedom of the Hills" - great reference for mountaineering and climbing, emphasis on very safe, basic systems, covers everything from knots, anchors, belaying and rappelling to rescue systems, and a whole lot more.

Falcon publishes a collection of climbing books that are pretty good

"Rock Climbing: Mastering Basic Skills" by Luebben - my other half and I are reading this one now, and it is very well written.

The only technical Canyoneering book I've been able to find (in English) so far is "Canyoneering: Basic to Advanced Techniques" by Tilburg. I'm not sure that I would recommend this. There's nothing wrong with it, it's a good overview if you're starting out with nothing, but I found it to be very very basic.

There are good tech tips on most of the canyoneering websites:

Yahoo Groups - Canyons and Canyoneering Canyoneering.com Canyoneeringusa.com Canyoneering.net

to name a few.

"K. McNitt" mcnitt@yahoo.com> wrote: Hi All,

Kevin in Michigan

When you post, please change the Subject appropriately, to make reading and searching easier. You can use the following abbreviations: TRIP = Trip Report; BETA = Canyon Beta; PARTNER = Partner and/or Rides; ETHICS = Ethics; TECH = Technical Questions and Tips; BIZ = E Group Business; SALE = Stuff for Sale. Please use a Tilde ~ after the abbreviation, so we know you are coding for us, such as:

Subject: BIZ~ New Abbreviation List - working?

To change your delivery options, go to the Canyons Egroup page on yahoo: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canyons/

This will require logging into Yahoo. Click on the "Edit My Membership" link, and change your delivery option. Press "Save Changes".

WEB ONLY OPTION will not deliver email; you must visit the web site to view messages.

Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canyons/

To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: canyons-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

Your use of Groups is subject to the Terms of Service.
  6. Rick

Rick Guest

Randi, thanks for the lifeonaline reference - good stuff.

Rick

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, Randi Poer <advntr_inxs@y...> wrote: > On Rope is a good book. Most of the book is geared for cavers, but there's a wealth of information that will cross over into canyoneering. So many of the techniques are similar.
    Something that just came across the wire which looks interesting (also geared toward caving) > http://www.draftlight.net/lifeonaline/
    > I don't think there are any canyoneering technique books on the market yet (In English), but lots of folks are waiting on the ACA to publish one.
    Knots: There are all kinds of books on knots, but you can probably get most of info. on the net. I own and like "The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Knots and Ropework by Geoffrey Budworth" It's got easy to follow instructions and pictures.
    Have fun. Be safe.
    ~Randi

> K. McNitt" <mcnitt@y...> wrote: > Hi All,
    I have been lurking for a little while trying learn > about canyoneering.
    Any cayoneering books that you would recommend for a > novice that explains technique?
    Kevin in Michigan
  7. K. McNitt

K. McNitt Guest

I just would like to thank Neil, Randi, onkaluna, Donna Mc for responding for my request for suggested reading.

Neil my German is a little week but If there is some really good text I can always ask my wife to read it.

Thanks Again.

Kevin McNitt

__________________________________ Small Business - Try our new resources site! http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/resources/