Send us a suggestion!

FAQ Survival Hydration - What is safe to drink?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kuenn, Jan 29, 2018.

?

Should You Drink Beer in a Survival Emergency?

1. Yes

38.5%
  2. No

23.1%
  3. Yes (even though it's against my principles, but then so is avertible death)

38.5%
  1. Kuenn

Kuenn

Ran across a brief article on this subject in Outside online titled,

Should You Drink Beer in a Survival Emergency?
    (For perspective, I don't think a 15" pizza constitutes a survival emergency.)

What "to" and "not to" drink when combating hydration issues has been a moving target over the years. I recall back in the late 70s a popular wilderness survival book (that I literally read to shreds) said you should never drink urine. Today's wisdom is just the opposite, since pee is about 90% water and sterile.... cheers!

This article cites a study in the United Kingdom where 72 test subjects in a state of normal hydration were asked to consume one liter of either water, milk, coffee, 4-percent beer, tea, orange juice, Coca-Cola, Powerade, or an oral hydration solution over the span of 30 minutes and then measured discharge volume.

"Conventional wisdom has it that drinks containing alcohol and caffeine are diuretics: by making you have to pee, you lose more water than you’re consuming."

Before you peek at the article take the poll.
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  2. 2065toyota

2065toyota

Especially Utah beer. It is mostly water anyways
  3. hank moon

hank moon lovely ligatures

I have no idea about the effects of beer-level alcohol in a "survival emergency" (whatever that is). If drink-or-die was afoot, I'd drink the beer (assuming it's a good beer). Worst case, a more pleasant death?
    Preston Gable and Dave Melton like this.
  4. spinesnaper

spinesnaper

Just a questions here. Are we talking warm beer? If it is warm beer, I think I would prefer to die.
  5. Jimmy Olsson

Jimmy Olsson

the answer to the question “Does it hydrate or dehydrate you?” is that it actually dehydrates you.

It’s actually thought that if you drink 200 ml of beer, that you don’t just urinate 200 ml of water. You actually urinate 320 ml of water, which is a 120 ml of dehydration.

The first thing you have to understand is how your body deals with alcohol. Alcohol is a very small molecule and it gets through the lining of your cell membranes very quickly. The liver has to deal with it very quickly because it’s a toxin. Second thing you have to understand is that if you weigh 80 kilos then your body generates about 80 ml of urine per hour. If you’re 100 kilos, it’s a 100 ml of urine – 110 is a 110 ml of urine per hour. And also the alcohol you’re taking into your body interferes with the mechanisms that regulate the water in your body.

So basically there’s a chemical inside your body called ADH (Antidiuretic Hormone) which regulates the amount of urine that you excrete, so you’re trying to keep water inside your system. This is put out by the pituitary gland in your brain.

Alcohol works the opposite way around – it stops this ADH from working. Or at least, it prevents your body from producing enough ADH and forces your kidneys to expel much more water than it would normally do. Just like caffeine.

However, I would rather die drunk then sober anyway. ;)
    Preston Gable likes this.
  6. spinesnaper

spinesnaper

Jimmy Olsson- do you have a reference for your opinion. If you believe the Outside article, which I agree is of uncertain scientific accuracy, beer and coffee do not dehydrate you.
    Rapterman likes this.
  7. 2065toyota

2065toyota

This is an absolute myth that beer causes dehydration.

To quote your saying. "It’s actually thought that if you drink 200 ml of beer, that you don’t just urinate 200 ml of water. You actually urinate 320 ml of water, which is a 120 ml of dehydration."

The key word is "thought". Beer may not hyrdate you as quickly and as efficientyly as water, but it does not cause dehydration. Search online you will quite a bit of evidence of that.

http://www.physiology.org/doi/full/10.1152/jappl.1997.83.4.1152
  8. Kuenn

Kuenn

I accept the test's accuracy at face value, nothing more nothing less.
    I was more surprised that the other liquids were equally hydrating as "plain old water."

Since the amount of fluid retained by the body is controlled primarily by the kidneys, and that has a lot to do with how they retain and eliminate sodium and chloride, it's a complex interaction - more so than I can comprehend. Maybe our resident drug interaction expert can shed some light on this, "Paging Dr. Lawrence to the Op-inion Room!"

Bottom line from my training, when sodium and chloride are retained by the body, so is water.

On the lighter side, not sure how you consume a liter of orange juice in 30 minutes and keep from curling up in the corner in the fetal position. Or if you've ever taken the gallon milk challenge (one of the crazy stunts pulled when young), even drinking a liter is quite impressive. Keeping it from being dispensed via any path other than the urinary system is equally impressive.

Suffice it to say there's a large measure of hypothesis with this case study. Quite sure a group that squabbles over 6 extra ounces in a descending device is not going to be packing in the wilderness a keg or case of Yoohoos.
  9. hank moon

hank moon lovely ligatures

6 grams !
    Bill and Rapterman like this.
  10. Craig

Craig Feeling My Way

My extensive research (15 minutes on Google), says that caffeine is not dehydrating, alcohol is only dehydrating if you drink so much that you vomit or have diarrhea.

Drinking urine is more insidious. If you can actually drink it without barfing then your survival instinct is better than mine. Sure it is mostly water and your body might actually welcome that water for a day or two. But your kidneys, which are responsible for removing toxic waste from your blood, will not be amused. They will shutdown and die within two or three days of drinking urine. So, either you die of dehydration or kidney failure. You choose!
    Bill and Dave Melton like this.
  11. Iceaxe

Iceaxe

Brian in SLC and Kuenn like this.
  12. Bill

Bill ... Staff Member

I think more applicable questions would be.... Should You STOP Drinking Beer in a Survival Emergency?
  13. Andrew J Farrow

Andrew J Farrow

it depends :p

i do not believe that beer has a " net dehydrating effect "

but alchahol DOES intoxicate - leading to greater risk of errors of judgement and or failure to correctly preform physical tasks

if i had a known [ and acheivable ] distance to reach saftey - i would consider it
    Bootboy likes this.