Send us a suggestion!

Survey: Sandthrax Campground

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scott Chandler, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Scott Chandler

Scott Chandler Wildness is a necessity-John Muir

Hey all!

As has been noted in a couple posts I've done here and there, I am studying Natural Resource Management at the University of Utah. One of my class's final project is to do a site assessment for impacts and I decided to do mine on Sandthrax Campground down by the irish canyons.

I got the thought the other day to ask users of that site (aka us canyoneers) what they think of the place. What you like and dislike about the place. Anything you would like that isn't there? Just your general opinions about the place. I think it would be a nice thing to include if I could get enough respondents.

And in case you fear this going to someone who cares (because some people do,) this is simply a class assignment for a grade. I'm not at a level yet in my career in which I can hand a report to the BLM and anything would be done with it.

Thanks in advance for the help!
  2. Jenny

Jenny

I will add my two cents worth in the form of two additions I'd love to see to the Sandtrax camp.
    1. Toilet facility at the kiosk sign. (Many use the facility down the road at Hog Springs, or bring a portable potty system, but more folks do not!)
    2. Designated fire pit(s)
    Scott, when you compile the results, why not take it to the uppity uppers? If not you, then who? If not now, then when? Thanks for pointing the spotlight on this.
    Scott Chandler likes this.
  3. Scott Chandler

Scott Chandler Wildness is a necessity-John Muir

If there is enough interest from the community in passing my report on I can inquire about it. One person doesn't have much of a voice but a group does.

[Edit: thought of the second sentence after posting]
  4. ratagonia

ratagonia

BLM Richfield is very friendly, and are very open to input on issues related to this campsite. Funds for building an additional toilet are rather unlikely in the foreseeable future.

Scott - you might want to figure out how to get a headcount each weekend for the upcoming season.

Tom
  5. Nick

Nick ---

How about a Kickstarter project for Sandthrax CG toilet funds? I'd contribute! :)
  6. Jenny

Jenny

:thumbsup: What a great idea, Nick. Maybe a great event for an American Canyoneers (www.americancanyoneers.org) conservation project.
    Nick Woolley and ratagonia like this.
  7. Mike

Mike epic blarneys

Nice toilet 5 miles away, can't smell it that way.
    Even being next to a road, its quiet.
    Convinient location

Dislikes:
    Big dumb sign
    New trails on crypto
    People still poop here
    Mice running across your face while you sleep
    I always pick up a lot of trash
    Scott Chandler likes this.
  8. Dan Ransom

Dan Ransom Staff Member

Nick is only advocating for a toilet because he an I have a bet going... I can't imagine them building and maintaining ANOTHER toilet when there is one five miles away...

I can only imagine the stink from that thing. Maybe if they put it away from the main camping area, that'd be cool. But who is going to maintain it?
    John Styrnol and Nick Woolley like this.
  9. ratagonia

ratagonia

I agree. Also, we probably have better uses for $ 50,000.

Tom
  10. Erik

Erik

Nick Woolley likes this.
  11. Ram

Ram

Ranger Tim Finger, since moved on to Montana, said that a toilet was not in the cards due to it not being out of the flood plain. Never seen water fill the camp, but according to studies, he said that was the issue. I do enjoy that ride to Hog to warm up in the cold weather and sneak a little more minutes of book on tape in, when I got a good one going. That is my carbon footprint:devil:
  12. ratagonia

ratagonia

I think we need to do a better job of encouraging people to take the drive. And shaming them if they don't...
    Deagol likes this.
  13. Dan Ransom

Dan Ransom Staff Member

or use a groover or wag bag? maybe there should be a betabase page specifically for sandthrax campsite...
    Mike and Zoemaster like this.
  14. Rick Demarest

Rick Demarest

Would that include a"How to use a wag bag" video?
    Nick Woolley likes this.
  15. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Is that an X slot?

I don't recall, but is there a posting and map on where the toilet is? If not, would be a great idea to post on the Irish Canyon sign where the toilet is w/ directions (5 miles down the road to Hog Springs).
    Mike likes this.
  16. Deagol

Deagol too many hobbies

It's been about 2.5 years since I've been to Sandthrax campsite, but I don't remember seeing a sign that says overnight campers should have and use a portable toilet system. Is there a sign there? Does that seem like a realistic thing to do? Everyone who camps out should have a system like that, that's not asking too much, right ?