Send us a suggestion!

Superstitions 11/15-20/2015

Discussion in 'Meet Up' started by Bill Parmenter, Nov 10, 2015.

1. Bill Parmenter

Bill Parmenter

Two relatively experienced (15-20 Utah canyons) canyoneers coming down from Colorado next week. Would welcome any locals that would like to come out and join us for any of those dates. Have beta on the following Class III canyons and will probably have time to do about half of them. Apache Trail, Damocles, Dionysius, Headdress, Hose, Ladder, Minnow, Prometheus, Punchbowl, Quartz, Sierra, Tango, Tortilla Creek, ZigZag.
    Does anyone have recent condition reports on that area or favorites they would recommend?
    Bill
  2. MrAdam

MrAdam

Punchbowl and Sierra are the must do canyons in the area. Ermahgerd is another good one, but isnt as close as the others and requires a 300' rope.

You can pick any two of Hose, Damocles, Apache Trail, Minnow or Headress and do two canyons in a day fairly easily. Tortilla Creek is just a hike and Zig Zag isnt really a canyon, just rappelling down a rock climbing route.

I was out in the area a couple weeks ago and it was pretty dry. Punchbowl holds a lot of water and will require a wetsuit, the rest of the canyons usually only require short wades if anything and can be usually be done with out a wetsuit. YMMV
    Anna and ratagonia like this.
  3. Bill Parmenter

Bill Parmenter

Thanks for sharing your experience. This is all very helpful.
  4. MrAdam

MrAdam

No problem. Im unavailable for canyons during your time in the Supes, but message me on here if you need any additional beta!
  5. Canyonero

Canyonero

Please post a conditions report, I'll be down there next week and hope to get at least one canyon in.
  6. Bill Parmenter

Bill Parmenter

Had rain Sunday and Monday so hiked up tortilla creek Sunday and did another hike on Monday. After that did Minnow, Apache Trail, Headdress, Punchbowl, and Hose. Temps were high 60s to mid 70s. All had waders to deep waders with a few swimmers. Puncbowl was full and I wore a 5mm wetsuit. 3mm was good for all the others. Some one warmer blooded would probably be ok with less.
  7. Canyonero

Canyonero

Thank you! Heading out in a couple of hours.
  8. Canyonero

Canyonero

Had a great time in Sierra today. One swimmer and several wades, temps in the 60s. A 3/2 was perfect (a little hot at first, but fine after the swim.) My 11 year old daughter was in a shortie and said she was a little cold for a while, but was barely shivering. Probably could be done pretty easily without a suit but with a change of shirt after the swimmer.