Send us a suggestion!

Supai Canyon Flatwater 2 personal boat

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Gear' started by Ram, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Ram

Ram

23.2 ounces??? For a boat...I mean pool toy on the Colorado River.

I have been doing the 4 lb, including paddles Sevlyor for a few years. I liked it. This boat? i loved it. It held air better, packed away small, was incredibly light and was stable in the river for what it is. It actually did better than the Sevlyor hitting eddy walls. I was right at the weight limit with huge pack, but felt like i could have added 30+ pounds to the rig and it still would have worked well. Once you packraft a Supai, you will never go back again.
    http://www.store.canyoneeringusa.co...=108#!/~/product/category=2754060&id=14344893

Then I took a look at the rental price and agreement. You only get charged for the days you use it. I used it on two out of 11 days on the river. Very generous terms. A winner. So says I
    http://www.store.canyoneeringusa.co...=108#!/~/product/category=2754060&id=26613544
  2. Mike Rogers

Mike Rogers

Wow. That's a tremendous deal for someone wanting to try this out for a day or two. I still have the Flytepacker, and I'm right at (or over) the weight limit depending on the trip length and gear weight for the Supai--but I like the Supai better. Highly recommend this rental deal for those interested in giving it a try.
  3. Erik

Erik

I need to update my life vest from the bulky model I have now. What have you guys found that works best?
  4. Mike Rogers

Mike Rogers

Erik likes this.
  5. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

I find that the kokatat Ronin is pretty low bulk as well, especially if it's not the pro model.
  6. ratagonia

ratagonia

Do you want it for boating? or for Grand Canyon pool-toying?

The point of the MTI Journey is that it is inexpensive ($47.50 on Amazon Prime) and light in weight (13.6 ounces). You do know that the bulk is what keeps your mouth and nose above the water, right??? Certainly lower-flotation pfds are available; but the MTI Journey has a lot going for it, in the realm of LESS.

Tom
  7. Rich Rudow

Rich Rudow

Another benefit of the MTI Journey is that it's a class 3 whitewater certified PFD that has been approved by the NPS. We used to wear those 9oz orange horse collar class 2 PFD's, and of course we portaged everything. Eventually we gained enough experience (er... courage :speechless: ) to run rifles. The NPS suggested that we weren't setting a helpful example by wearing the class 2 PFD's which can strangle you if you tumble in a rapid. My regular Astral boating PFD weighed 2.5 pounds. I have a problem with my PFD weighing more than my boat, so I found the MTI Journey and tried it out. I sent the classification tag to one of the river rangers who said is would be approved for use on the river. It's the lightest approved PFD found to date. And it's relatively very inexpensive.
    Josh Case likes this.
  8. ratagonia

ratagonia

Rich - is a class 3 required by the NPS for packrafting?

Tom
  9. Rich Rudow

Rich Rudow

Tom, the NPS has not put a formal rule into affect (yet) but my sources tell me that it's certainly going to be required in the Backcountry Management Plan due for comment this Summer. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets slipped into the Superintendent's Compendium next month. Technically, right now, you probably couldn't be cited for not wearing one or for wearing a class 2. But the rangers usually don't cite the bodies they recover anyway. Next of kin - a different story! ;)
  10. Erik

Erik

Thanks for the thoughts. I should rephrase that - it's really the weight of my current vest that I'd like to reduce.
    http://www.nrs.com/product/2178/extrasport-swiftwater-fury

Great jacket for big water, but too heavy to be packing around all of the time. Unfortunately, the weight of most PFDs isn't listed in an obvious spot. The MTI Jouney looks like a great minimalist jacket. I would miss the lash tab for a river knife.