Send us a suggestion!

Summertime Canyoneering

Discussion in 'Meet Up' started by grc, Mar 13, 2018.

1. grc

grc

I'll be in Durango, CO this summer from the beginning of May until the middle of June, and then from mid July to late August, and am looking for canyoneering partners during that timeframe. I'm interested in going on trips not just in Colorado, but anywhere in the southwest (Zion, North Wash, Escalante, Ouray, etc).

I have a moderate amount of canyoneering experience; I've done many of the class 3 canyons around Zion, as well as a number of canyons in Escalante and North Wash. I prioritize safety and environmental ethics, and have all of the needed gear (canyoneering ropes, rope bags, wetsuits, pot shots, etc). I'm also always interested in learning new techniques from more advanced canyoneers.
  2. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

Don't go to North Wash in summer. Those other areas have some summer type canyons.
  3. grc

grc

Yeah I've made the mistake of going to the North Wash during summer before. My plan is to do some of those canyons (along with ones in Escalante and the Swell) in May and early June, and then aim for more wet canyons in July and August.
    ratagonia likes this.
  4. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

Even May and early June can be bad (heat wise) in North Wash, plus it's peak season for biting flies. Escalante can have them too, but only in certain areas.
  5. grc

grc

Thanks for the heads up; I'll be sure to keep your comments in mind!
  6. Ali Miller

Ali Miller

Would you say the same for the Roost? As in, don't go to RR in May?
  7. ratagonia

ratagonia

Roost, North Wash, Escalante...

There are canyons in these areas that can be done in summer, but, more generally, not the best place to be in summer. If it is unusually cool out, then doing specific canyons in these areas can be OK. When it is unusually hot out, or perhaps usually hot out, it is WAY too hot to do stuff.

Then there are the Cedar Gnats. I consider June 1 the closeout date for these areas because of the Cedar Gnats if nothing else. They chew you to pieces. DEET does not even slow them down. They are awful. When you get down into a watery area, then the Yellow Flies take over, and they are even worse. Summer in the Utah desert. Go to the mountains. Or Zion. Not Roost, North Wash, Escalante or the Swell. Usually.

Then the question is, what about May? May may or may not be full summer in these areas. Depends on the weather.

Tom
    Yellow Dart, grc and Ali Miller like this.
  8. grc

grc

Thanks for all of the replies; I'm flexible in terms of trips for the spring and summer depending on interests, weather, etc. I'll be planning some trips in May, and will post more specifics as the dates get closer - I'm happy to keep others in the loop if they are interested. I'm also happy to brave the heat and bugs in early to mid June if others are willing. As I mentioned before, if any more experienced canyoneers would be willing to team up with me to tackle some more advanced canyons (maybe Kolob or Imlay?), that would be great!

This discussion brings a certain past trip in July down Fence Canyon to mind - sweating in the sun while being eaten by yellow flies was not the vacation that I had in mind!
    ratagonia likes this.