Send us a suggestion!

Tech Tip: Question Summer wetsuit thickness in Zion

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Gear' started by miller.alice.d, Jul 13, 2017.

1. miller.alice.d

miller.alice.d

OK guys, you've convinced me to go to Zion. What thickness wetsuit would y'all recommend?

I'm real tall, super skinny and very, very cold in the water. I'm that lady who carries a sweater in the summer for AC indoors.

Is 5mm going to do it for me? Or is that just insane considering the 100 degree summer temps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. Alias_Rice

Alias_Rice

If you get cold easily I would go for a 5mm if you are doing a canyon with a lot of swimming. No point being miserable for a small savings I weight and bulk.

BTW: for my money, Tommy D has the best bang for your buck on wetsuits. They aren't the fanciest, but for what you use them for they work well.
    miller.alice.d likes this.
  3. miller.alice.d

miller.alice.d

OK cool, that's what I was thinking. I'd rather sweat than freeze.

Wow, those Tommy D suits sure are priced right. Thanks for the tip!

4. 2065toyota

2065toyota

I personally prefer the hyper flex suits. All wetsuits are not creates equal
  5. Alias_Rice

Alias_Rice

The hyper flex are nicer, but for me I don't see a huge gain to justify the price when you consider how quickly they can get destroyed. Though if you are only staying in Zion canyons the suits suffer much less abuse than other places and can last a while longer.
    2065toyota likes this.
  6. miller.alice.d

miller.alice.d

I'm sure I'll destroy it in no time. :) And I definitely will take it outside of Zion.
  7. 2065toyota

2065toyota

Totally agree. I have a suit for zion and old suits for everywhere else
  8. John Diener

John Diener

Definitely no expert on wetsuit designs/brands, but I do know I don’t want to wallow in my suit and get cold from excessive water transfer. As a tall/thin person part of my strategy is to deal with arms/legs on the short side to get a better core fit. I think a stretchier neoprene helps with this fitting issue. FWIW, I’ve used the hyperflex for 6-7+ years in a variety of canyons, and it has worked out pretty well. Toyota's zion / non-zion tip is pretty good once you are onto that 2nd suit and beyond.
    -john
  9. miller.alice.d

miller.alice.d

Regarding fit, that's definitely my plan John. Good to know that's worked for others. I've spent my whole life with ankles and wrists sticking out of my clothes.

10. ratagonia

ratagonia

I bought a Tommy D on the several recommendations. Put it on once. Unwearable.

Anyone want it? Size Large. Will sell for less than cost.

Tom
  11. miller.alice.d

miller.alice.d

Hmm. Mine's on the way, so fingers crossed. I'll report back for the edification of all the other tall skinny folks on here.
  12. miller.alice.d

miller.alice.d

Just in case anyone's following, my 5mm "comfort stretch" Tommy D suit arrived and fits great. I'm 6'3", very thin, and ordered a unisex size S. Link:

http://www.tommydsports.com/Wetsuit-Full-Length-p/5110.htm

It's a little short on the arms, but the legs almost meet my neoprene booties.

That said, this is my first wetsuit -- I may be unaware of the joys of a high-end suit.
    John Diener, Alias_Rice and ratagonia like this.