Send us a suggestion!

Subway Waterboarding

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Yellow Dart, May 13, 2021.

1. Yellow Dart

Yellow Dart It's only hubris if I fail.

We all know canyons evolve; especially those with constant flow.

The evolution highlighted here today is the former-eddy turned chute LDC of the basalt boulder of the Keyhole Falls obstacle in Subway.

I recall getting my foot wedged in that small hole in 2013 on my first day in Subway.

Fast forward to yesterday, one of my mates assumed it was a pot, went to step into it, and her whole body slipped in; somehow turning 180 and facing upcanyon (into the strong current), her hips and pack wedging her in the hole with her face below the flowing water level. Stuck in this position she was waterboarded for a goodly 5-10 seconds before our other partner and I took her wrists, hoisting her up and out. I now know the face of an actively drowning person. To say it took the starch out of her is an understatement; she was very quiet the rest of the day.

I'm the last person who will tout that Subway is dangerous. It's rather innocuous. Though even walks in the park can get sideways with the slightest misstep. That said, this new trap could eventually turn into the future downclimb of this obstacle, given a few more years of erosion - how handy.

All this to say, when you're out for a rip with the kiddos in Subway, keep that newly deepened/carved chute in mind, lest your 8 year old undecidedly takes the fast way down.

PS: Car to car in 2h49m59s (not that anybody cares)

2. boot18.
    Kuenn, nkanarik and Kip Marshall like this.
  2. ratagonia

ratagonia

Whoa!!!!!!

Also note: the best rigging for that rappel, (in my never-humble opinion), is two rapid links on the humungo glue-in bolt - rather than a manky piece of webbing 'equalizing' the 10,000 lbf glue in bolt with a manky 1200 lbf (if you're lucky) relic from the past...

Jus' sayin'...
    Yellow Dart likes this.
  3. Yellow Dart

Aye, I removed webbing from the relic. The pictures are not my own.
  4. Jman

Jman

Thanks for the update. I'll be taking my two step kids (Just turned 8 years and the other is 10) soon and that's good to know.

You were so close to beating this guy too - his time was 2:45.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  5. Brian in SLC

Brian in SLC Brian in SLC

Whoa...frightening!

Good watchout reminder!
  6. Yellow Dart

Seeing your post really ruined the rest of my day.

Honor demanded I beat that non-local's time, so went in and crushed it yesterday:
    44min to boulder
    41min to the strip-n-slide
    59min to LFTH

Crushed the uphill in 8m22sec, which is a whopping 30 seconds faster than my previous PR.

2hours 24minutes car2car; and that's including the time waiting for my partner on the jog down and at raps - I figure without, would be been 2:19 or so.

Coughed up a little blood when I got back to the trailhead... really dug deep and pushed hard to finish the whole exit in under an hour. Because if you didn't bleed, did you even try? :happy: Least I didn't ralph.
    ratagonia, Muad'Dib and NevadaSlots like this.
  7. Ryan C

Ryan C

Did you get that on Strava? ;)
  8. Kuenn

Kuenn

Scary, yet not unexpected anytime in moving water. Good on y'all for being Johnny on the spot...or James as it be.

The biggest future challenge will be getting her back on the horse. Good luck with that!

We don't... ;) Show off!!

Then again, the reason she may have been so quiet is she was exhausted and wondering if y'all were sadists.
    Yellow Dart likes this.