Send us a suggestion!

Subway Top-Down Permit Available 11/23

Discussion in 'Meet Up' started by babaro, Nov 21, 2018.

1. babaro

babaro

Hi All,

I know its super last minute but... I have a permit for 11/23 for the Subway top-down and my partner just bailed, so a spot opened up. I have a background in rock climbing, have done a few technical canyons in the past, but this would be my first time canyoneering in the area.

Let me know if you are interested.
    ratagonia and Ram like this.
  2. Canyonero

Canyonero

Is this actually a hard permit to get? I assumed that if you were willing to canyoneer in zion in late November that getting a permit was the least of your concerns. The one time I did it it was 22 degrees when we walked out of the hotel room and I thought we were going to die in a very dry Pine Creek.
  3. hank moon

hank moon lovely ligatures

subCapture.JPG

@babaro did you do it?
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
  4. Canyonero

Canyonero

Okay. So it looks like this has nothing to do with permits. You've never been in the subway and need a partner. Your rock climbing skills will be nearly useless on this. It is MOSTLY a hike. There are a couple of minor navigational challenges, 1-3 short rappels, and MOSTLY the challenge will be staying warm. There is also some potential to have to deal with icy footing. Focus your preparation on those two factors. This is NOT the same trip as doing the Subway with the hordes in August. In fact, I don't think I'd recommend anyone do it for the first time in late November.
    hank moon likes this.
  5. Canyonero

Canyonero

6. ratagonia

ratagonia

Welcome to the Canyon Collective Babaro.

The Subway is a common place for misadventure - thus the immediate turn to concern for your safety and happiness. Darn cold out there these days.

AS I type this, it is 5:23 pm on the 23rd. Hope you are charging up the hill back to your car, with a fantastic day under your belt.

Tom
    Tom Collins likes this.