Send us a suggestion!

Subway exit

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Attila, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Attila

Attila

Has anyone ever exited the Subway downstream past the traditional exit ramp? Granted, it's much more boulder hopping for a couple miles, but would it be possible? I HATE that exit climb out.
  2. ratagonia

ratagonia

Many years ago, I went past the normal exit just to see what was down there. Within 1/4 mile there was no trail, and impressively rugged, vegetation choked, very-difficult-travel terrain. Not recommended.

The climb out is not so bad. If you have ancestors that are Huns, they are very disappointed in you!

Tom
    darhawk and Kuenn like this.
  3. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

Yes. There is a route out at Grapevine Spring (which is a spectacular place).

It wouldn't be easier than the standard climb out. The standard route is the easiest way to exit the canyon.
    darhawk likes this.
  4. 2065toyota

2065toyota

I heard about an old route that exited the canyon just after the Subway and it looped back to the vehicles making a shuttle unnecessary also. Been going to look into it a little bit more.
  5. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

I have done that route, but it's a lot longer walk to back to the vehicles. You also have to cross some private land unless you make an effort to avoid it.

Anyway, the trail is still there, but the NPS has obscured the beginning of it with logs and branches so people don't confuse it with the standard exit. The route is a good one if you don't mind a long day.
    2065toyota likes this.