Send us a suggestion!

Stuck Rope in Imlay

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by deathtointernet, Jan 22, 2018.

1. deathtointernet

deathtointernet

P1630303.JPG

Alright, fess up, who stuck this thing here? I was going to suggest that with the government shut down someone with a rifle could go and shoot it down, but looks like it'll be back to business as usual tomorrow (and yes I'm just kidding anyhow), so it'll have to be gotten rid of the old fashioned way.
    Ram, spinesnaper, Rapterman and 4 others like this.
  2. GravityWins

GravityWins

I'm glad that a stuck rope is the only bad news from Zion during the shutdown. I was worried someone would attempt to poach canyons and require rescue. Imagine the black eye that would have given the canyoneering community!
    Ram and deathtointernet like this.
  3. Ram

Ram

Ummmm. I remember a few Christmas' ago, when we rallied to Telephone, there was a rope stuck there, at the top. And I mean stuck! Encased in snow and ice, it was going nowhere for a long time. Saw the same thing in Mystery one winter. Hate to think that rope coming out of Imaly will hang there all winter. If someone goes, be careful. You can contact me here and I can give you some information and advice, such as the Left Sneak is safer in winter than the right, as it has no north facing slab, when nearing the canyon proper.

Can you see the rope from the tree, in Telephone? We couldn't even get to that tree ;-D
    [​IMG]
  4. deathtointernet

deathtointernet

Yeah I figured it will probably be there awhile. Sliced off probably about fifty or sixty feet of rope that had been piled off to the side... a little less trash in the canyon plus cutting away as much of it as I could from the bottom will hopefully discourage tourists from trying to climb it... a possibility I'm all too cognizant of if anyone recalls my Mystery Canyon story from years back :wtf: I tried to get a photo of the anchor from further back, but my camera just isn't good enough to really make out why it's stuck.
    Ram, ratagonia and Kevin like this.
  5. Yellow Dart

Yellow Dart It's only hubris if I fail.

It's been mentioned here and there in past threads about ascension, but is there any real close-to-surefire way to ascend an icy rope?
  6. Teeeeva

Teeeeva

Thank you for the post. My friend saw this and the two of us ran thru Imlay sneak yesterday and retrieved this rope. The last drop was rigged with a biner block tied to a line orange/red pull cord. The pull cord was not touching the ground (far from it..). I believe it was the third to last rappel had *what may have been* the extension of the pull cord tangled and twisted around the anchor (same orange/red cord). Bada bing, bada boom? That being potentially solved and the rope carried out, below is a photo of rope/pull + carabiner (more like chew toy?)... yikes!

PS. If anyone is interested, conditions in Imlay are FULL with thin-to-weight-supporting ICE in the open corridors (last photo). IMG_0579. IMG_0578. Screen Shot 2018-02-03 at 10.15.14 PM.
    Brian in SLC, Ram, Morgerator and 7 others like this.
  7. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

I'm just making sure I am understanding correctly. It sounds like the party may have lost part of their pull cord on the third to the last rappel and thus didn't have enough pull cord to retrieve the rope on the last rappel?

If so, yikes.
  8. ratagonia

ratagonia

Good on ya! Thanks Teeeeeeva!

How you survived wearing Teva's through Imlay yesterday I have no idea!

T
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    Teeeeva, Ram, Yellow Dart and 2 others like this.
  9. spinesnaper

spinesnaper

Fortunately there is plenty of life left on that biner.:twothumbs:
    Scott Patterson likes this.
  10. Teeeeva

Teeeeva

My friend pulled the rope all the way through the last anchor just to see and it didn't get stuck so that's what we're guessing happened?

Tom-Haha I barely survived with 4 top layers under a drysuit sooo...
    Ram and Scott Patterson like this.
  11. Canyonero

Canyonero

I feel like such a wuss after reading this thread.
    Skyloaf likes this.
  12. Brian in SLC

Brian in SLC Brian in SLC

Wow...Imlay in winter...proud!

"Ran through"...nice.

Makes me wonder how much traffic Zion gets in these canyons in the winter...crazy...

Let's see some more pics!
  13. Yellow Dart

Yellow Dart It's only hubris if I fail.

This year you could do it comfortably, even. The water that's there is cold, but least there's practically no snow. ^_^
    Teeeeva likes this.
  14. NevadaSlots

NevadaSlots

Recent Imlay conditions anyone?