Send us a suggestion!

Storm in the Grand Canyon

Discussion in 'Accidents and Near Misses' started by Ram, Aug 12, 2018.

  1. Ram


    Found this report. This weekend apparently. WOW!

    I had a beautiful helicopter flight out of the Grand Canyon yesterday... the south rim medical clinic to stitch up a large laceration on my arm. ----- 2 kids were with me (---- was hit in the elbow and has a bruised bone.........we hope that's all). ---- came up from Goodyear and brought us home. We were at Fern Glen about 10 miles upstream from Lava when it was hit with a microburst; hurricane force winds followed by intense hail and an hour of the most heavy rain I'd ever seen and then a flash flood. A commercial group camping upstream a mile at National campsite lost everything. They barely made it to the rafts with PFDs and took off. Their flash flood rose the river level by us by 4-5 feet. We camped together that night and helped each other out. Normally after an event like that you'd see waterfalls off the rim. This time it was a complete pour over along the rim bringing water, debris and rocks. Yes, lots of rocks. While running to safety, I was hit by a rock tearing a chunk out of my arm. Another lady in our group was hit by a rock that broke her clavicle in 2 places and broke the same arm in 2 places. She was med evacuated to St. George Utah for surgery. The rest of the group is still on the river hoping to cut the trip short......except that the take-out at Diamond Creek also "flashed" and it washed out so they will have to go to Pierce Ferry. Today they run lava. Wish them well.

    The following posted 8-12-2018

    WRA was at Tuckup, GCE at National and a private at Fern Glen. The storm was next level gnarly with silver dollar size hail and literally every drainage flashing huge. National camp looked like a bomb went off there when we rowed by the next morning. Gear, tents, bags, kitchen, everywhere. It was haunting and eerie. We had our entire kitchen taken out at Tuckup but managed to recover most of it. Seeing the scene at National made of realize we got off relatively easy compared to the other two camps. I’ll be interested to hear more about how the other two groups fared. Glad that no one died and hopefully everyone can get reunited with their personal gear.
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  2. Rapterman


    Hope everyone is ok....
  3. Rick Demarest

    Rick Demarest

    An Update from Tom Martin
    UPDATE 8-13-2018 Just spoke with one of the trip participants that was camped at Fern Glen. The group had set up kitchen tarps to get out of the rain. They first experienced extremely high winds, and set one of the tarps down. Then they were hailed on, with hail up to and exceeding 3/4 inch. This was followed by heavy rain, sending sheets or water cascading off the overhead cliffs. This let loose rocks which peppered their camp. A 71 year old female suffered a compound fracture to her clavicle and a shattered humerus, a 70 year old male sustained a lacerated upper arm, a 60 year old male sustained a minor head laceration, and one minor sustained an elbow injury. Grand Canyon National Park dispatch was notified, but as it was almost dark, and the injuries were non-life-threatening, evacuation plans were set for first light the following morning. Meanwhile, a Grand Canyon Expeditions two boat motorized tour boat trip was camped upstream 1.5 miles at the mouth of National Canyon. They had finished dinner when their camp was inundated by a flash flood. The group evacuated to the two boats and headed downriver, abandoning their camp sleeping and bathroom equipment. When they arrived at Fern Glen, one of their motorboats had experienced a motor failure and was under tow by the second boat. The two trips worked together to make sure everyone had as comfortable sleeping arrangements as possible for the night. A doctor on the GCE trip assisted in the overnight care of the inured. At first light on Friday, August 10, multiple National Park Service helicopter evacuations occurred to remove those injured. The GCE trip took their passengers to Whitmore Wash where all were passengers were helicoptered out of the Canyon by private helicopter. The do-it-yourself group was unable to take out at Diamond Creek as planned due to flooding which closed the Diamond Creek access road, and the group headed on to Pierce Ferry where they plan to take out tomorrow, August 14.

    The rain map. A direct hit on National. Purple is a big time hit!

    national storm.
    ratagonia and Rapterman like this.
  4. Rapterman


    Seems like some EPIC weather the last few years....
    We may have caught part of your storm cell while driving to flagstaff this weekend.
    Pulled over in biblical rain then got pounded by hail (some damage to paint and trim).
    While huddled in the back seat, dog between us, with packs over our heads in case the windshield burst, I was wondering:
    what would a canyon be like right now? :eek:
    Now we know! REALLY BAD!
    Is your arm ok Ram?
    Todd and Desi
  5. Canyonero


    I had a pretty impressive 15 minutes of hail in Salt Lake Valley a couple of days ago. My street flashed and my phone was screaming about a flash flood warning.

    I'm assuming that arm is going to be fine for our upcoming trip eh Ram? Stitches should have been out for a couple of weeks by that time.
    Rapterman likes this.
  6. Ram


    OK, here is video of the event.
    WARNING----F and S bombs prevalent. Listen at your own risk. These pour, I mean poor people. Powerful stuff

  7. ratagonia


    Mount Carmel, Utah
    Here is a more thorough report from Sean Britt

    Trip Report

    On August 9, 2018 at approximately 5:00pm while camped at Fern Glen Camp (mile 168.8) on the Colorado River at the bottom of the Grand Canyon a severe weather event occurred that radically changed the course of our river trip. We were enjoying a layover day at the camp on our 11th day on the river. Around 2:30 - 3:00 pm, the typical afternoon clouds began to form above the canyon.There was some light rain during dinner, then shortly after dinner the winds picked up with sustained gusts over 30 mph requiring us to take down our tarps & sunshades. The winds were followed by heavy rain & hail. The hail stones quickly grew in size & frequency from pea sized to marble sized and finally to golf ball size with significant accumulation of hail occurring.

    As a result of the intensity of the hail storm & rain, several people sought refugee under aluminum kitchen tables & the cliff overhang alone the back of the camp. Under the deluge of heavy rain ( approximately 5” in about 20 minutes per accompanying weather radar images), the 1500’ cliff face effectively became a functional drainage system funneling water and debris down its face & into our camp. There were two primary areas into which the debris was focused. At the west end of the beach, a small waterfall of rock & other debris fell forming a dump truck sized pile of rubble that narrowly missed three members of our party who sought protection under the overhanging face of a large boulder while severely injuring another member resulting in a complex fracture of the right upper arm. Meanwhile, those seeking shelter under the cliff at the rear of the camp, were hit by a number of small rocks & decided to abandon their position and run out onto the beach area & into the river. Immediately after doing so, a 30’ section of the overhanging cliff ledge collapsed burying the area along the cliff where they had been sheltering. The high volume of water coming off of the cliff also created several large drainage ravines that ran from the cliff on the north side of the beach to the western end of the beach & then into the river.

    Four members of our trip were injured as a result, 1 complex fracture of the right upper arm, 1 major laceration of the left forearm, 1 significant laceration of the head with no loss of consciousness, and 1 soft tissue injury to the elbow. The satellite phone was activated and the National Park Service as well as the Department of Public safety were made aware of our position, situation & request for medical evacuation of the wounded. We were advised that related to timing of our incident and impending fall of darkness, extraction of the wounded would not occur until the next morning.
    Immediately, an area for triage was designated where tents & sleeping bags were set up to administer aid to victims at the highest area in the center of the camp away from the cliff, river & historical flash drainages from Fern Glen canyon. A lookout was posted within view of the historical drainage to monitor conditions along that drainage & provide warnings should conditions merit.

    Concurrently, all the rafts ( 5 - 18’ NRS self-bailers ) were moved from the destabilized anchorage at the western end of the beach to a stable central location along the shore. Immediately after securing the rafts, a camp wide retrieval of all gear was initiated & the effected gear piled in an area adjacent to the triage area.

    As the water in the small cove began to rise, it brought with it two commercial “J” boats, 1 boat towing the other disabled boat, carrying 15 people total. The water level in the cove & river would rise a total of 4-5 feet and remain high for several hours thereafter. The commercial group had fled their camp at Lower National with only their PFD’s & the clothes on their backs. We offered & they accepted our aid immediately increasing the number of souls involved in the disaster from 15 to 30 individuals.

    In the commercial group there was a trauma surgeon, who volunteered to render aid & treatment to our wounded. As such, he managed the triage & medical response. All patients were treated & stabilized as best as possible given our situation.

    While our people had already eaten dinner, the people in the commercial group had not. Our kitchen was impacted during the collapse of the cliff face requiring us to retrieve the parts & re-establish a functional kitchen. The commercial group was fed & sleeping accommodations provided in a safe area adjacent to the kitchen. They were also given use of our groover & shown where it was as well as the protocol regarding its use.
    At this point in the disaster, we had established & set-up an area for medical triage and treatment, a functioning kitchen, sleeping areas for our private party as well as the commercial group, provided groover facilities, collected all gear effected by the storm in an area next to the kitchen and finally set-up & cleared a landing zone away from our people on the western end of our camp.

    At dawn, the commercial group left our camp on two functioning ‘J’ BOATS. it was our understanding that their intent was to travel to Whitmore Helipad to evacuate their people by helicopter.

    Shortly after dawn, the NPS helicopter arrived on scene, the oranges panels forming an “X” on the LZ were removed prior to landing the aircraft. The NPS personal accessed the scene, provided aid & evacuated the fracture, major laceration & two children to neighboring medical transport & the South Rim Clinic.

    The eleven remaining members of the trip policed up all manmade items from the camp. The majority of the remaining day was spent cleaning and packing gear for transport out of the canyon. Plans were made for takeout at Pearce Ferry on our scheduled takeout day. To reach our planned rendezvous with our outfitter Ceiba Adventures would require us to row 120 miles over three days which we were able to do.

    While what happened to us was an act of God disaster, we were able to mitigate the severity of the event with a quick, decisive and focused response to the adverse event. Our group was assembled with a mix of seasoned members with extensive Grand Canyon river experience, 30-40 year old males with substantial outdoor experience, a surgical nurse with level 1 trauma experience, a dentist, two young adult males & two 70 year old individuals with river experience. Prior to meeting on the river, group skills were accessed and noted. Immediately upon launch of our trip, river skill assessment continued and training initiated to bring all members up to speed. We had two raft flips before reaching Fern Glen Camp. Those flips provided “Z” drag training & implementation as well as further team building exercises. Our team came together early in the trip giving us the ability to easily make our miles, provide safety & perform as a unified team during our trip. The emphasis on training & team building coupled with extensive Grand Canyon river experience were major contributing factors to the successful deployment of our disaster response during this event.
    Rapterman and Ram like this.
Similar Threads: Storm Grand
Forum Title Date
Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group Storm Pictures Grand Canyon Jan 24, 2010
Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group Grand Canyon Winter Storm Trail Conditions Podcast from NPS Dec 7, 2009
Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group The Perfect Storm....Grand Canyon Feb 25, 2009
General Discussion Big Snow Storm, Southern Utah March 1,2,3 Mar 3, 2015
General Discussion Storms in Escalante Sep 6, 2014
General Discussion Conditions post Snow Storm? Nov 22, 2013