Send us a suggestion!

Tech Tip: Question Stop Me From SPINNING! (on long rappels)

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Gear' started by ratagonia, Nov 24, 2014.

1. barleywino

barleywino

The double figure 8 which Rich used to sell had the twist created from one wrap of the rope around the 8 cancelled out by the twist created by the second wrap of the rope. I no longer remember how the wraps were done, does anybody have a diagram?
  2. ratagonia

ratagonia

3. Rapterman

Rapterman

Tom mentioned rapping lefty as a solution: in a couple of practice sessions I have rigged for left handed brake:
    really seems to work to counter rope twist from right handers.
    Assuming most of your crew is rapping right handed.
    Anyone try this in the field?
    (Safety note- Please do NOT rap opposite your dominant hand unless you have practiced with belay!)
  4. Moab Mark

Moab Mark

A little off the original topic but I have noticed that the squirrel sure seems to put a lot more twist in the Rope than any of the other Figure 8 devices we've ever used? We did the 300-foot Rappel in Egypt 2 I could not believe how much the squirrel twisted the Rope. Most of the other devices were the critter 2. Substantial difference.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
  5. Deborah Davis

Deborah Davis

I rappel lefty most of the time, because I am left handed. I have never noticed that I spin less on rappel than right handers. I think I am more than likely mainly pushing the twists down the rope as I rappel, rather than untwisting them for myself. I think the untwisting that does happen would mostly benefit the next person down.

Just a note to say that many (if not most) rappel stations have a right-hand bias to them, and can be a pain to work with as a left hander. I practice rappelling right handed when convenient, so if I'm intimidated by a right-handed station, I can switch to a right handed rappel, rather than having to switch sides on the rope or do the weird rope twist to get it set correctly on my device.
  6. Rapterman

Rapterman

Hi Deborah
    While right handed, I have found it to be a useful technique (using a CRITR2) to switch hands for
    awkward starts and weird canyon geometry.
    Deborah Davis likes this.
  7. Rapterman

Rapterman

Canyon-Fu Master Moon
    has NEVER twisted a rope or spun in space while rappelling...
    Regardless of the device: Eight, SQWUREL, CRITR, Tube, ATS, Biner Wrap, Munter, etc.....
    And regardless of the rope.....
    Perhaps he could share his technique?

(If it does not require an arduous apprenticeship)
    :D
  8. hank moon

hank moon lovely ligatures

Moon refer you to master list caveat. Since that post, I did have one fun rope twirl in Court of Patriarchs: 1 am, knot pass in space about 300' off the deck, spinning like a top. Could have been a problem had the spin caused any major discomfort. It was a SQWUREL, so maybe I should update that caveat list.

I wonder if this guy (about to drop a 300' free hang in a cave) had any issues? Love the classic Prusik safety.

67446_1671480264839_3222146_n.
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    Rapterman likes this.