Send us a suggestion!

STONE KNOT

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by Calvin Richardson, Nov 16, 2006.

1. What other purpose is the stone knot used for other than two persons raping at the same time with of course the third to untie it ?

Sponsored Link

Don't quit your job - take classes online and earn your degree in 1 year. Start Today

2. tom

tom Guest

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, Calvin Richardson <bellcyn@...> wrote:
    What other purpose is the stone knot used for other than two persons raping at the same time with of course the third to untie it ?

Lemme get this straight - Are the two people raping the third, or is there someone else involved in the party. My guess is that in this case the the stone knot is being used to tie up the third so they can be raped!

-t-
  3. Neil

Neil Guest

The stone knot isolates two strands of rope in any situation where you might want to do so. The point of the knot is that it can be loaded and then untied easier than it was tied.

It's a simple solution for isolating and loading two strands of the same rope. Once the strands are isolated, how you use them is limited only by your imagination.

Neil

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, Calvin Richardson <bellcyn@...> wrote:
    What other purpose is the stone knot used for other than two persons raping at the same time with of course the third to untie it ?
    > > Sponsored Link
    Don't quit your job - take classes online and earn your degree in 1 year. Start Today
    >
  4. TomJones

TomJones Guest

5. Stefan

Stefan Guest

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "TomJones" <ratagonia@...> wrote:
    I have added the Stone Knot to the new-new Tech Tips on the Canyoneering USA website...
    http://www.canyoneeringcentral.com/techtips/the-stone-knot-a-canyoneering-secret-weapon/
    > Tom >

Tom,

I have some additional information on this (as the "founder" of that knot) :

- the know is not called the "stone knot" but the "stone knot variation", as the original knot is tied downwards and only the variation for canyoning is tied upwards

- you should stop at picture 6 and NOT turn the carabiner Anyway the biner can't slip through ... but is much easier to release. If you continue like on picture 7 etc. you can have lot's of difficulties to get the biner out if the knot is very tight. If the large end of the biner is on top you can at least get it out of the loose "loop" and then turn the biner to "weak" the tighten part.

Always nice to see many technics i taught to Rich many moons ago found their place in the American canyoneering :)

Stefan
  6. TomJones

TomJones Guest

Thank you Stefan. Always interesting to hear from the source.

Points well taken, though I have not had trouble getting the carabiner out when I use a large-size carabiner.

Tom

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Stefan" <s.hofmann@...> wrote:

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "TomJones" <ratagonia@> wrote:

I have added the Stone Knot to the new-new Tech Tips on the Canyoneering USA website...

http://www.canyoneeringcentral.com/techtips/the-stone-knot-a-canyoneering-secret-weapon/

> Tom

> Tom,
    - the know is not called the "stone knot" but the "stone knot variation", as the original knot is tied downwards and only the variation for canyoning is tied upwards
    - you should stop at picture 6 and NOT turn the carabiner > Anyway the biner can't slip through ... but is much easier to release. > If you continue like on picture 7 etc. you can have lot's of difficulties to get the biner out if the knot is very tight. If the large end of the biner is on top you can at least get it out of the loose "loop" and then turn the biner to "weak" the tighten part.
    Always nice to see many technics i taught to Rich many moons ago found their place in the American canyoneering :)
    Stefan >
  7. kuenn_k2

kuenn_k2 Guest

Thanks to all for sharing your wisdom...this is great information (including the new-new tips visual) for those of us still expanding our knowledge in this discipline.

Newbie question: is there an advantage of using the OH vs 8 "stone"? They both seem bomb-proof to me and with the OH being slightly easier to tie and untie; its my knot of choice. And is the orientation (upward/downward) an important detail...am I missing something critical that I should know?

Thanks, -kuenn

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Stefan" <s.hofmann@...> wrote:

> Tom

> Tom,
    - you should stop at picture 6 and NOT turn the carabiner > Anyway the biner can't slip through ... but is much easier to release. > If you continue like on picture 7 etc. you can have lot's of difficulties to get the biner out if the knot is very tight. If the large end of the biner is on top you can at least get it out of the loose "loop" and then turn the biner to "weak" the tighten part.
    Stefan >
  8. MarkS

MarkS Guest

If you tie the OH or stone in the downward direction they seem to snug down differently and when you pull the pin the knot will not collapse. The upward fig 8 stone seems to collapse the easiest when the stick has been pulled.

Mark --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "kuenn_k2" <kuenn@...> wrote:
    Thanks to all for sharing your wisdom...this is great information (including the new-new tips visual) for those of us still expanding our knowledge in this discipline.
    Newbie question: is there an advantage of using the OH vs 8 "stone"? They both seem bomb-proof to me and with the OH being slightly easier to tie and untie; its my knot of choice. And is the orientation (upward/downward) an important detail...am I missing something critical that I should know?
    Thanks, > -kuenn
    > --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Stefan" <s.hofmann@> wrote:

> Tom

> Tom,

- you should stop at picture 6 and NOT turn the carabiner
    Anyway the biner can't slip through ... but is much easier to release.
    If you continue like on picture 7 etc. you can have lot's of difficulties to get the biner out if the knot is very tight. If the large end of the biner is on top you can at least get it out of the loose "loop" and then turn the biner to "weak" the tighten part.

Stefan
    >
  9. Stefan

Stefan Guest

Kuenn,

basically the OH would do the same than the figure of 8 knot. The original stone knot is tied with an 8 ... so this was taken over. I like the fact that the 8 has more bends to create more friction and to not tighten the knot to much.

The direction (up/down) is very important. If you tie the original knot (down) you "only" have the two (loose) strands to backup the carabiner. And most important: the point where people can attach their abseil device to the rope is many times very low and so very uncomfortable to start an abseil. By using the variation you can backup your biner in the closed loop "above" the knot or even clip the carabiner into the chain of the anchor (one of the reasons why you should not turn the biner as you can't unclip it from the chain or the loop). By tying the knot upwards the point where to attach the abseil device is mostly in a more comfortable height.

Stefan

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "kuenn_k2" <kuenn@...> wrote:
    Thanks, > -kuenn
    > --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Stefan" <s.hofmann@> wrote:

> Tom

> Tom,

- you should stop at picture 6 and NOT turn the carabiner
    Anyway the biner can't slip through ... but is much easier to release.
    If you continue like on picture 7 etc. you can have lot's of difficulties to get the biner out if the knot is very tight. If the large end of the biner is on top you can at least get it out of the loose "loop" and then turn the biner to "weak" the tighten part.

Stefan
    >