Send us a suggestion!

Still canyoning in the Canadian Rockies

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Gearhound, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Gearhound

Gearhound

Hi all! I've been lurking on this site for a while now picking up tips, guidance and just enjoying the beautiful scenery you have. I thought I'd share some vids from one of our recent adventures here in the north. Everyone in our group are divers, cave divers and dry cavers who are starting out into canyoning. Please forgive the srt kits ;)

First one is us scouting the canyon:

Second one is the night time photo and video shoot:

I hope that you enjoy them!

(It's kind of cool to have a videographer and published photographer in your group!
    Ram, Kuenn, Austin Farnworth and 6 others like this.
  2. townsend

townsend

Canadian Freezefest . . .
  3. Austin Farnworth

Austin Farnworth

Wow! That looks like too much fun! Nice videos!
    Gearhound likes this.
  4. Gearhound

Gearhound

Thanks Mr. Farnsworth! Darryl does do a great job with the videos! I do hope that it doesn't play into the stereotype that everything in Canada is covered with snow ;) Saying that, this canyon stays open throughout the winter. First time through for me, it was 0 degrees F. I had to thaw my drysuit zipper before it'd open. It was above freezing when we shot these vids.
  5. Austin Farnworth

Austin Farnworth

Well I think you have me convinced that I need to take a canyoneering trip up to Canada, in warm weather of course!

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
  6. yetigonecrazy1

yetigonecrazy1 yeti in the jungle

Whats the feasibility of getting a kayak down that? I know a few kayakers who willingly seek out chasms in the earth to boat down, just like this. Surely you are familiar with the notorious Dipper Creek near Squamish, and although they are both intense cracks in the earth, the geology seems to be quite different in this one compared to Dipper. Part of what makes Dipper work is the fact its all hard sculpted bedrock, whereas this canyon looks more sedimentary in nature? Great video and great canyon, thanks for sharing them both with us!
  7. Gearhound

Gearhound

I'm not too sure on the kayaking. We only do this canyon in the winter when the flow is down. A lot of it would be too shallow.

It's about a 35m rappel at the start. I suppose they could do that with kayaks.

Squamish is nice country!!!
  8. Gearhound

Gearhound

They had a canyoning meet up in Jasper this summer. It was a lot of fun with some great canyons! Hopefully its an annual thing.
    Austin Farnworth likes this.
  9. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

Heavy Snow.