Send us a suggestion!

Sterling Canyon Tech rope

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by Matt Maxon, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Matt Maxon

Matt Maxon Guest

I've been looking for a long rope and came across Sterling Canyon Tech

This "seems to me" to be a good compromise between weight, strength, cut resistance, and cost

specs 9mm Technora sheath, nylon core, MBS 5486 Lbf, 0.043 lb per foot

prices hovering around $1.04459... per foot

This seems to be a good compromise between my gold standard of BW Canyonline and BW Canyon per foot Rope size MBS weight Price _________________________________________ Canyonline 9mm 6800 19.5 g $1.44975 Canyon 9mm 5000 18.14g $0.74975 Canyon Tech 9mm 5486 19.5 g $1.04459

I have no direct experience with Canyonline but have used Canyon Xtreme and "assume" it is similar

With this in mind I rate Canyonline very high as to cut resistance does this cut resistance apply to Canyon Tech since it uses the same sheath material?

Any one have experience with this rope?

Right now I can purchase a 200m spool for 20% off at moosejaw or $485.20 (0.743¢ per foot!)

Matt
  2. Tom Jones

Tom Jones Guest

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Matt Maxon" <matt.maxon@...> wrote:
    I've been looking for a long rope and came across Sterling Canyon > Tech. This "seems to me" to be a good compromise between weight, > strength, cut resistance, and cost. specs:
    9mm Technora sheath, nylon core, MBS 5486 Lbf, 0.043 lb per foot > prices hovering around $1.04459... per foot
    This seems to be a good compromise between my gold standard of BW > Canyonline and BW Canyon > per foot > Rope size MBS weight Price > _________________________________________ > Canyonline 9mm 6800 19.5 g $1.44975 > Canyon 9mm 5000 18.14g $0.74975 > Canyon Tech 9mm 5486 19.5 g $1.04459
    I have no direct experience with Canyonline but have used Canyon > Xtreme and "assume" it is similar
    With this in mind I rate Canyonline very high as to cut resistance > does this cut resistance apply to Canyon Tech since it uses the > same sheath material? Anyone have experience with this rope?
    Right now I can purchase a 200m spool for 20% off at moosejaw or > $485.20 (0.743¢ per foot!)
    Matt > A pretty underwhelming response... I, too, am dissappointed that my minions have failed to rise to the occassion...

The core and the tightness of the weave also make a significant difference in the durability (and cut resistance) of the rope. I am, of course, somewhat biased, but here is my opinion on this subject:

1. The bouncy nylon core of the BW Canyon rope creates problems. Not only does the sheath necessarily slip in relation to the core, but the bounciness tends to encourage cutting where the rope touches the rock.

2. If the other ropes have nylon cores, they would suffer from this same phenomenon. If they have spectra or Technora or Polyester cores, they probably would not.

3. My 9mm rope has a polyester core and polyester sheath, and is tightly woven. It is maybe a bit stiff when new, but tends to loosen up and mellow out after a bit of use. It is very durable and cut resistant. Cost is $440.00 for a 610 foot spool. ($ 0.7213 per foot). Weight = 18.9 grams per foot.

4. While Technora and other high-tech/high-cost fibers may be appropriate for a small-diameter (8mm) rope, and may be effective at making a 'better' rope, the benefits largely go away on a larger diameter rope (9mm) where simple, working-class polyester produces a rope that is very durable, at a more modest price.

5. The Sterling Canyon Tech rope is listed as a nylon core, technora sheath. I imagine it has the same "feel" as the BW Canyon - ie "bouncy". I personally think that the bouncy is a huge disadvantage and prefer a rope that is static, rather than semi- static (bouncy); but this tends to be a matter of personal taste.

6. All Polyester construction tends to absorb the least amount of water (aided by a tight weave).

Tom
  3. gajslk

gajslk Guest

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Tom Jones" <ratagonia@...> wrote:
    A pretty underwhelming response... I, too, am dissappointed that > my minions have failed to rise to the occassion... > It must not be very popular stuff. I've got a pair of older, maybe four year old, Sterling 9mm static 200s that I like just fine. One of my friends had a brand new 9mm x 200 from Tom a couple of weeks ago in Zion. It absorbed a lot less water than my ropes, maybe a couple of pounds less. I considered this all the way up the MIA ... I'm going polyester when it's time for new ropes.

Gordon