Send us a suggestion!

SQWUREL

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Gear' started by Bluu, May 21, 2015.

1. bnwilso

bnwilso

I assumed that was true from looking at the new design and look forward to getting one Todd. I still have quite a bit of wear left on my original CRITR and that is one of the many things I like about your device. It's lasted much longer than anything else I've owned and I've put a lot of miles on it - which is also true of your other gear.
    Deagol and Rapterman like this.
  2. Rapterman

Rapterman

Thank you!
    Sadly, the original CRITR is now OBSOLETE.
    For a fair (and balanced!) comparison with the SQWUREL you will all have to purchase CRITR2s!
    :D :D :D
    Mountaineer, hank moon and Deagol like this.
  3. 2065toyota

2065toyota

The original critr works well for my weight. Anyone wanting to sell original ones to buy the new ones i would be interested in them even if there is some use on them. I would think $20 shipped to me

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Rapterman likes this.
  4. ratagonia

ratagonia

How much do you weigh, Kody??
  5. 2065toyota

2065toyota

I'm at about 195 right now
  6. spinesnaper

spinesnaper

For those of you who did not see this on Facebook, I am attaching a video showing an undocumented feature of the Sqwurel demonstrating its unprecedented versatility.
    townsend, Kevin, mattwilliams and 4 others like this.
  7. Bluu

Bluu

Yes you can lock it off. Just did a couple videos on that yesterday but have not had time to upload yet. Ill let ya know when those are up. :)

Yes holding device still with the non break hand helps keep things static. While actually on rappel i have found i rarely need to do that though. But thats likely because ive been using it a lot and am used to it? As a hint i find the adjustments easier if i do so with my break hand up closer to the device.

Luke
    Deagol likes this.
  8. Kuenn

Kuenn

This evening marks the second time this week I've had the opportunity to try out the Sqwurel at a rappelling tower close by. In total, I've used it on 5 different diameter static ropes, and 1 dynamic rope. And I must say, what a fantastic piece of ingenuity - love it. The on-the-fly friction adjustments are SUPER easy and VERY effective.

I do have ONE annoying beef with it, though. I let a friend borrow it this evening for a test drive...
    he wouldn't give it back! Kept saying, I've gotta get one of these things!!
    hank moon likes this.
  9. Cameron

Cameron Long Tall Texan by birth

Every time I am in the Rat....the Desert Rat that is...which has seriously been every single day this week.....someone has bought one!
    canyoncaper and ratagonia like this.
  10. canyoncaper

canyoncaper

Comments on extending the device with a dogbone? Any concerns/warning?
  11. Bluu

Bluu

12. Deagol

Deagol too many hobbies

nice job, Luke !!
  13. Bluu

Bluu

I cant think of any concerns with extending the device. It will allow the Sqwurel to pivot more easily, so in some cases you may need to stabalize it with your non brake hand while changing friction via the tail holes.
    Luke
    canyoncaper likes this.
  14. Wes1

Wes1

Used my SQWUREL in mystery and not imlay. Love it! Did great on the ~260 foot last rap. My only quarrel is that it does not do great on double strand, that's ok though easy to rig SRT.
    Rapterman likes this.
  15. Chris Grove

Chris Grove Yes, anytime.

To piggyback on Wes's comments since I was on the same trip :). Great device for all the reasons listed. I do find it really twists the rope where the CRITR did not twist as much. Now I will have to decide what device to take for each trip. SQWUREL is going on any trip with long raps. The final 250' mostly free rap on Not Imlay was a joy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rapterman likes this.
  16. Bluu

Bluu

Just thought I would let you guys know I added another video showing a second hard lock-off method. Todd Rentchler of Canyon Werks showed it to me. I like it better than the hard-lock off I have already shown. This one will make it in the next update of instructions.
    Deagol, Mountaineer and Rapterman like this.
  17. Bluu

Bluu

As for twisting of rope. I spent a lot of time trying to battle rope twist. At one time i thought i had beaten it. What i found was there are too many variables that effect this with devices like the Sqwure, Critr, ATS, Pirana, etc.

For a specific geometry rope twist can be minimal and almost eliminated. But skew outside of that geometry and you begin to get twist again. Many of the variables affecting this are user oriented. Things like if the device is extended or not, do you hold your hand high or low while on rapple, how wide are your hips, is your device secured to your harness horizontal or vertical, and the list goes on. Surprisingly a very subtle change can affect rope twist.

I have watched two people use the prototype Sqwurels rappel one right after the other and due to the above listed variables one would twist the rope and the other person did not. Ive watched it many times. I have also heard reports where the Sqwurel did little to no twisting while other devices did twist. And then there reports of the opposite.

I have come to realize that with this style of rappel device it is not just the device that does or does not twist. A lot has to do with a persons shape, how they hold the rope and how they mount the device.

On that note, during testing of previous models, had someone rappel with just the right friction set and rappel and noted no twisting. Then had that person rappel with not enoigh friction and hold thier hand in the same place. Guess what happened, they got rope twist. After playing with this for a while we figured it out. He was holding his hand behind his back in both cases. But when too lottle friction was rigged he compensated by bending his wrist to get the rope to bend more around his hand. Surprisingly he was creating twist by bending the rooe through his hand.

Its pretty crazy when you try to really figure this stuff out. So i will have to use a quote o see on line a lot. Your Mileage May Vary.

Luke
  18. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Is that an X slot?

Or keep the end a foot our two above the deck.
  19. townsend

townsend

I read one book about rappelling that emphasized that the angle the rope feeds into the rappel device (from brake hand to device) is crucial. And as Luke has suggested, others factors may come into play.
  20. CRNPRES

CRNPRES

Dang it! Tried one of these today just for a 50' rap and now I got to buy one. Like the feel and function.

I wish I had it for the 275' rap before the 50', had my ATS instead hate trying to wrap those little horns for addition friction.
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2015