Send us a suggestion!

SQWUREL vs CRITR2 : a very basic first impression from a big guy

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Gear' started by Mike Oxford, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Mike Oxford

Mike Oxford

Initial impressions on a quick hang-test...

Me: 6'6" 250 (street clothes + harness)
    Rope: Brand new BW Canyon Extreme 8mm

SQWUREL docs: http://www.bg-gear.com/downloads_non-product/Instructions-SQWUREL__Size8-5X11.pdf
    CRITR2 docs: http://www.canyonwerks.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/CRITR2-Insert.pdf

SQWUREL: I have to set it to "Behemoth + 2" for it to hold me.
    CRITR2: I have it set to effectively* 2+ for it to hold me.

Both devices leave me one (1) additional friction setting.

That either one will hold/control me on a brand new 8mm (granted, Technora sheathed) is impressive.

Both swing out of the way about the same. I plan on trying them on extenders because, for me, being able to switch from descender <-> ascending-gear is frequent and the extension gets them out of the way.

Huge thanks to both CanyonWerks and BG-Gear for keeping the development push going! I've tried both Piranas and ATS rigs previously (on broken-in ropes); the former wouldn't hold me and and latter would but was tough to maneuver/work around due to the horn design.

Will post up after some actual field-use this weekend.

-mox
    hank moon, Deagol and Rapterman like this.
  2. Rapterman

Rapterman

Hi Mike!
    The 'dueling devices' thread has begun.... do I hear banjos? :D
    Thanks for your impression of the 'high' range of these devices (more, more!).
    For the CRITR2 you should still have a couple more friction options above your initial setting of TWO(2):
    hooking the rope up over the arm (Position B), or for even MORE friction wrap the rope around both the leg and arm
    (Position A+). The second option is a bigger 'bump'- could end up being a 'soft- lock'.
    Side note:
    Desi and I went out last evening practice rappelling with the CRITR2s to test the 'low' range of the device.
    We were testing double strand (toss and go) on the fattest, stiffest ropes we had (talking about YOU, Canyonero 9.2!)
    and a WEIRD thing happened.....
    We were really ENJOYING ourselves! :wavespin:
    The CRITR2 is now formulated to run PIRANA- like smooth on thicker, stiffer ropes double strand making it a great choice for beginners, kids,
    scouts, guides, and lighter people in general.
    Best, Todd
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
    Dave Melton and hank moon like this.
  3. Rapterman

Rapterman

4. canyoncaper

canyoncaper

*snicker*

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
  5. Rapterman

Rapterman

Bill at ZAC busted us right away and fixed the display.
    So much for 'guerrilla marketing'
    :D

Attached Files:

• clear[1].
      Filename:
      clear[1].png
      File size:
      95 bytes
      Views:
    • clear[1].
      Filename:
      clear[1].png
      File size:
      95 bytes
      Views:
    • clear[1].
      Filename:
      clear[1].png
      File size:
      95 bytes
      Views:
    • clear[1].
      Filename:
      clear[1].png
      File size:
      95 bytes
      Views:
  6. canyoncaper

canyoncaper

I also fixed the display - someone must have had your same thought. LOL!

Sorry I missed your visit. Look forward to seeing you soon. Cheers!

Felicia

7. Stillnoeyeddeer

Stillnoeyeddeer

That either one will hold/control me on a brand new 8mm (granted, Technora sheathed) is impressive.--Mike Oxford

Felicia insisted that I HAD to try the Sqwurel on the final sequence in Heaps, and with it's plethora of friction settings (Do I look THAT BIG?) and it was truly an awesome little animal. The final drop was on an "older" Imlay 8.0, and the Sqwurel was as smooth as silk. I tried and tested the descender on a few earlier drops, but I found it difficult to "flow" in behemoth mode. The device held my petite little self (205 lbs.) perfectly in Jumbo mode between friction setting one and two. Yet to try the Crittr2.
    canyoncaper and Rapterman like this.
  8. canyoncaper

canyoncaper

Harmony! uploadfromtaptalk1440541051745.

Rapterman, Dave Melton and hank moon like this.
  9. Rapterman

Rapterman

10. hank moon

hank moon kinetically bulbous

hopefully thick coat of dust will help Pirana survive winter
    Eamon, ScottM, Matt Snow and 2 others like this.
  11. Lane

Lane

Hey folks, I've been lurking for a while, but this is my first post on CC. Just wanted to put in my .02 regarding the Sqwurel (haven't tried CRITR2). After testing it in the garage, I decided it was time to give it some real world experience. I set up for a 70' single rope free rap into a cave on a 10 mm rope using friction setting fs2 and could barely get the rope to feed, so changed (on the fly) to fs1 and that was perfect for my 5'10", 185 lb frame. Changing to FS3 mid-rap would actually hold me in place (granted, new-ish fat rope). I also tried a double rope rap, again using the 10 mm rope, and found that fs0 worked ideally. The instructions state that 'Simple Mode can be used with double ropes 8mm to 9mm' but I had no issues using my 10 mm rope.

My previous rap device was a Pirana which I liked well enough, but was a little fast when wearing a full pack. Can't wait to get the Sqwurel down in the canyons! IMO, Sqwurel rocks!
    Kuenn, ratagonia and hank moon like this.
  12. hank moon

hank moon kinetically bulbous

Lane, thanks for posting up and welcome to CC. What's the make and model on that 10 mm rope of yours?
  13. Lane

Lane

Hi Hank,

The rope is an Edelweiss 10 mm 200' Canyon rope.
    hank moon likes this.
  14. Dean_Sh

Dean_Sh

I kept having problems with the Sqwurel twisting the rope, enough that I went back to my ATS even though I loved adjusting friction on the fly. Anybody else have this problem? Anytime I rappelled without first setting the rope length I would have to untangle the rope before reaching bottom. I thought at first that part of the problem was that I rappel left handed and twist the rope in the opposite direction to everyone else, but it still appears if I am first or not.

----
    Dean S
  15. Rapterman

Rapterman

Hi Dean.
    This would be one of the advantages of the CRITR2-
    it has a larger head opening and the places where the rope must make sharp bends are more "spread out".
    This helps the rope flow smoother (and twist less), especially for stiffer ropes.
    Rope twist can be VERY subjective and can vary from person to person, even on the same rope, same device.
    But we have found in our testing that the CRITR2 is a champ for minimizing rope twist.
  16. Lane

Lane

Hey Dean,

I took the Sqwurel through Spry on Saturday and did not experience much rope twist at all. I was using my 10 mm rope with out rope bags and all of the raps were DRT. I don't know if that makes a difference or not. My biggest issue was too much friction when starting the rap, but that is due to the fat rope. Once over the edge, though, it worked like a champ. What size of rope were you using and were you doing SRT or DRT or both?

Raptorman, how is the Critr2 with fat ropes? I might have to get my hands on one of those...
  17. Rapterman

Rapterman

Hi Lane
    We came out with the new CRITR2 so it would run better on fatter, double ropes (while still working great for the 8mm stuff!).
    So it works great on the fat and older, stiffer ropes.
    Thanks for asking.
    :D
  18. canyoncaper

canyoncaper

I finally got to use the CRITR and I liked it. I need to learn how to lock off.

Rapterman likes this.
  19. Dean_Sh

Dean_Sh

I was using SRT on 8-9 mm ropes of various kinds. Final and worst rappel was in Deadwood Gulch. I had to stop about five feet from the bottom in a waterfall while I untwisted the rope before I could finish. No pool or hydraulics at the bottom so the rope length was not set. Quite a mess until untangled.

Again - anyone else have this problem or is it just me?

----
    Dean S
  20. Alias_Rice

Alias_Rice

Happens to me as well, though it's much more pronounced on my buddy's Edelweiss Canyon 9.6mm rope. It knots that rope pretty bad on long SRT or DRT rappels. It doesn't really have a problem on my Canyon Fire though.
    ratagonia likes this.