Send us a suggestion!

SQWUREL Corrosion

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Gear' started by NateFlet, Feb 2, 2020.

1. NateFlet

NateFlet

After owning my SQWUREL V2 for just about a year now, I have noticed some odd corrosion of some sorts forming along the side of the device. I'm not familiar with how 7075 Aluminum acts in certain conditions, but my device has started to form these "metal flakes" of some sorts. The pictures provided below were taken after I had scraped off the protruding metal flakes. What seems odd is that this "corrosion" is occurring mainly on only one side of the SQWUREL. Any insight as to what this is, how it's occurring, and if it's safe for continued use?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Michael W likes this.
  2. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall

7075-T6 is not the best aluminum against corrosion but it does have a high tensile strength so a lot of rescue and recreational rope gear is made out of it. I machine 7075 a lot and prefer it over 6061 for machining and for strength. With all that said, the corrosion can be from several things. Since it seems to be only on one side I would first look look at galvanic corrosion being the cause. Here's a good website that explains a lot about various ways aluminum corrodes that may help you narrow it down: https://www.totalmateria.com/page.aspx?ID=CheckArticle&LN=EN&site=ktn&NM=187
  3. Brian in SLC

Brian in SLC Brian in SLC

Looks like pitting and some exfoliation corrosion. Not sure what type of surface treatment the device started out life with, but, if that was worn off (or maybe not robustly applied)... and you exposed the device to especially a salty water solution and it stayed damp for awhile...that's probably what is expected.

Let me guess...you're near the ocean? And chance this got stored wet with seawater? Maybe side down that shows corrosion?

I'd scrub off the surface with scotchbrite and clean it good so the pits are not showing any black and all loose, flaky material was gone. Then apply a corrosion inhibitor made specifically for aluminum.

Looks like there's plenty of meat left on that rap device.

After every use, rinse off device with clean (non salt) water and dry and reapply corrosion inhibitor.
  4. NateFlet

NateFlet

Thanks guys! I looked into the different types of corrosion and it seems like exfoliation corrosion or surface corrosion. I do live somewhat close to the ocean but my gear never touches ocean water. My guess is that the big swells that have been rolling in have pushed salt into the air and I guess making its way to my gear. Yikes! Ill definitely look into a corrosion inhibitor.
  5. JakeH

JakeH

Haven't had that problem in Arizona...
  6. ratagonia

ratagonia

Looks like at one point you set it down on a salty wet surface.

Tom