Send us a suggestion!

UT: Zion Spry Canyon - Zion N.P. UT, 6-7-2013

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Jeff Guest, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Jeff Guest

Jeff Guest

Be sure to watch at 1080p!

After doing Keyhole in the morning with our group of 5, we then hit up Spry in the HOT 100+ degree weather in the afternoon which was a mistake that we suffered through. We got dropped off near the Pinecreek canyon parking and hiked up the road till we reached the Trail head. The approach takes anywhere from 1-2hrs before you hit the top of the canyon. Once you reach the top, enjoy the views!! They are incredible! From there, it is all downhill with a little bushwhacking at the beginning. Continue following the watercourse all the way down the canyon. There are about 9 rappels with the biggest being 165ft at the beginning. From the last rap, continue boulder hopping down to Pine Creek and boulder hop upstream to either the Pinecreek swim hole which is a little farther or continue downstream to the other parking lot. Please stay in the boulders and the entire way down and do NOT skip the last rappel and traverse over to the sand. There are many signs posted by the park about this. Spry is a pretty fun canyon, but the steep approach sucks!

I shot this video with my GoPro HERO3 Black Edition camera at 1080p at 30fps and edited with iMovie. I had my GoPro mounted to my GoScope Extreme which is a telescoping pole and it works great with the J-Hook mount! Get your GoScope at http://go-scope.com.
    Ram likes this.
  2. Ram

Ram

Nice. That is the most rope grooved canyon i have ever seen! Maybe it should be bolted? Oh yeah, it is! Fiddlesticking is the answer to the grooves if people won't extend their webbing:moses:

BTW the 4th rap (I assume you used the big tree? is nicer in the watercourse. It pulls easily by theat near 90 degree turn, which surprises me. Often the deepest hole in the canyon is in that dogleg
  3. Ram

Ram

Here is a nice piece of info...right behind the start of the 4th rap is a low pass to the south. It then descends a 3rd and 4th class rib down the other side. One rap, maybe 65 feet leads to more 3rd and 4th class downclimbs, connecting ledges right, looking out and right to the bottom of the final rap. In bad weather or other problems, this escape is straight forward and easy. Bet the 2 groups that got washed out the 7th and 8th raps in those floods wished they knew of that option. How did those folks survive that at all. Wild
    ratagonia likes this.