Send us a suggestion!

UT: Zion Spry 3/24/2017

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Krampus, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Krampus

Krampus

Did Spry with a group of six. When I was packing the vehicle in Hurricane there was frost on my windshields and I could see my breath. I figured it would be a cold and wet canyon since it rained the day before. We hit the trail and and it was perfect. The sun was shining and the climb up wasn't bad. There was a group ahead of us and we caught up with them on the first rap. There were snow drifts still in places and the water was flowing but we stayed dry until the hallway near the end.

The group ahead of us opted to bypass the rap into the dark canyon and avoid the two stage with the deep swimmer. They did the long 200 foot rap. We went into the dark canyon then off the tree to avoid the cold swimmer. Someone in another group tossed a rope bag across from the two stage and it got stuck in the wall. Looks like a fun challenge if anyone tries to retrieve it. I'd like to hear the story on that toss.

It took us about 6.5 hours from car to car. We had a couple newbies and we kept bumping into the other group. It was a great day and glad we went.
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
    Bill and dakotabelliston like this.
  2. dakotabelliston

dakotabelliston Living life to it's fullest

Sounds like a awesome trip. Thank you for sharing. I'm trying to figure out what rappel is a 200 ft rappel ??? Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
  3. Forrest Megargel

Forrest Megargel

Up to the right (looking down canyon) at that 2 stage rap in Spry there is a steel rod embed way up high on a very steep incline. If you stand by the tree you can see it. Does anyone know how this got there and why?
  4. Krampus

Krampus

Dakota, The best way I can describe where it is is if you don't rap down into the dark canyon with the smallish arch. You can stay to the right and rap off a tall cliff that bypasses the two stage swimmer. I've never done it but the group ahead of did it and said it was a 200 footer. Maybe someone else can chime in that knows a better way to describe it.
  5. ratagonia

ratagonia

Hmmmm. Trying to figure out where you mean. Very close to the end? Past the "2nd Flute" rappel which goes down into the hole (then a downclimb, then a swim, then a rappel... the second-to-last rappel IN the canyon).

Tom
  6. Krampus

Krampus

I'm terrible at locating spots in these canyons but let me give it another attempt.

There is a rap toward the end that has an anchor in a precarious location. You used to have to reach across the canyon to set the anchor. Someone has put in a new anchor that lets you avoid the sketchy one. It's a short rap, prob 30ft or so and very slippery on the wall. After that rap you hike down a short distance and follow the water to the rap that I'm referring to goes into a dark canyon then pops out at the two stage swimmer or off of the tree to avoid the swimmer.

So...if you come off the sketchy anchor rap and hike down a short distance you can bypass the "dark canyon" rap and stay to the right, you upclimb a bit and once at the top is where there is the "200 footer" It may be shorter but that's what the group told me. The longer rap puts you in the same place as doing the two stage rap or the optional tree rappel.
  7. ratagonia

ratagonia

Huh. Interesting.

Yes, I call that rap the "Black Slot Rappel", aka, the "Comb Rappel". A new anchor in there avoids the comb, stays in the watercourse.

T
    Krampus likes this.
  8. BobRoss

BobRoss Make them birds...

I painted a tree loosely based on the tree you anchor off of for that rapp.
    Yellow Dart likes this.