Send us a suggestion!

Sport climbing vs. Canyoneering

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by RAM, Nov 30, 2011.

1. RAM

RAM Guest

Can they share the same drainage? Should they share the same drainage? Do they need to share the same drainage? Something new under the sun. I need to give it more thought. Good question Phillip. Love to hear what others think.

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "phil" <Happyfeet00@...> wrote:

> But back to one of my points....do our ethics supersede those of sport climbing? Removing rappel bolts seems an entirely different ball game than removing someones climbing anchors. New dynamic for the community. Can sport climbers and clean canyoneers exist in the same drainage? Hope so.
    Phillip >
  2. RAM

RAM Guest

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "RAM" <adkramoo@...> wrote:
    Can they share the same drainage? Should they share the same drainage? Do they need to share the same drainage? Something new under the sun. I need to give it more thought. Good question Phillip. Love to hear what others think.
    --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "phil" <Happyfeet00@> wrote:
    > But back to one of my points....do our ethics supersede those of sport climbing? Removing rappel bolts seems an entirely different ball game than removing someones climbing anchors. New dynamic for the community. Can sport climbers and clean canyoneers exist in the same drainage? Hope so.

Phillip

Adding Phillips comment under the other related thread...." I get your statement and passion but also realize we are talking about a specific context. For me, I am most intrigued by the sport anchors. Safety is one of the parameters I support in bolt removal; if they pose a real hazard than they are worth removing. Nothing about safety plays into those sport bolts."

I don't know the histories of the establishment of sport climbing areas. I imagine there was a bit of contentiousness about the issue in that community. How many sport areas established already involve long and technical aspects to get too? And longer exits from? I assume the sport routes don't exit at the rim, thus the bolted rap anchors? Hard to know without seeing. Is there a lot of sport routes that are just one short line or in this case just 2 routes separated by technical terrain, far from easy access? Not sure it matters. Can they share the same ground? I suppose so...but WHY? Is it necessary?

There are canyons still out there to be seen, but the number dwindles. As far as climbing is concerned, the surface has barely been scratched. Steve mentioned North Wash. I assume he alludes to the long line of Wingate cliffs, stretching miles, with lord knows how many routes on them, all road side? Yes people are working this area but its barely known. And this is the roadside ones too! The shear volume of Wingate and red Navajo cliffs that are untouched is enormous. The climbing options will be probe4d for who knows how long, before running out of new stuff. I mean Indian Creek type quality just there for the taking.

That said, why squeeze in next to canyoneers, with short, spread out, hard to get to, routes on inferior rock? So you can do combo sports? Make exits shorter, if one can get up top? Its not like we are in Europe where everything needs to be crowded on top of each other. Heck, the Euro's will camp 3 feet from you with a few 100 yards of options nearby. They can't seem to fathom having room. We have abundant space. And good reasons to establish more. Why not stretch out a little and add some wilderness experience, through privacy, to our experience? Just a thought. Interesting subject. R
  3. RSpanel

RSpanel Guest