Send us a suggestion!

AZ: Superstitions Splash Down Canyon Labor Day

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by pyle762, Sep 7, 2017.

1. pyle762

pyle762

My kids and I had a packrafting/swimming/canyoneering adventure at one of AZ's busiest lakes on Labor Day. We had complete solitude, and except for a little bit of heat sickness in Dad/canyon guide (It was only 100-something that day), everyone had a great time.
    Enjoy!
    Jenny, Mountaineer and Kuenn like this.
  2. Ross Platt

Ross Platt

Looks like it was a fun trip! Great video!
    pyle762 likes this.
  3. Kuenn

Kuenn

Nice video. Great dad time with the family.

I'm impressed with your daughter's (?) aggressive style and stability - rappelling @ 2:08. Looks like this wasn't her first rodeo!
    pyle762 likes this.
  4. pyle762

pyle762

Thanks! She is my daughter and my oldest child. She does really well in canyons. She has been going for a little over a year now, but she is definitely my go-to for everything when I am taking the kids through a canyon. She will always go first and fireman belay everyone, and coach and guide the other kids on rappel, and lately she has been setting up all the rappels and pulling and bagging rope.

All the kids do well, even my youngest, who is 13. She is still a little apprehensive on big rappels but still does well on them and never complains no matter how sucky the approach may be.

This canyon's beta lists 4 raps but the kids and I downclimbed all of them except the first, which we discovered we could downclimb by going down into the hole (at least for the skinny ones) but only after the rap was already set up, and the last 140' rap. Everything else was downclimbed including a 30-40 foot one that was semi-spicy.

I do admit that I am pretty proud of my little canyoneering crew!
    Jenny, ratagonia, Kuenn and 1 other person like this.