Send us a suggestion!

South Fork Robbers Roost Trash

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by A.J., Mar 30, 2009.

1. A.J.

A.J. Guest

I had forgotten to mention; we were also going to do the best we could to clean up trash in the canyon. Tom and Ram had mentioned a year or so ago that there was trash dumped near the 4th rappel. We kept our eyes open for any trash near the rappels, and happily, didn't really find a dump area. (I was wondering how someone would have dumped stuff there anyway, based on it's remote location.)

We did find, and clean, small trash items through the canyon. Much of it was likely from the group that was in front of us at the start. Don't know if they dropped other stuff after we passed them. We still found some cans and other items at the camp locations; but nothing that was significant. (Unless we totally missed something.) Anyway, just thought some folks might want to know that...

Take care, A.J.
  2. adkramoo

adkramoo Guest

The trash was supposedly (Bill Wolverton) in an alcove on the left, LDC, just a bit below the 4th or Lost Springs rap. The theory was boy scouts based on an insignia found, I believe, but can't confirm

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "A.J." <aj@...> wrote:
    I had forgotten to mention; we were also going to do the best we could to clean up trash in the canyon. Tom and Ram had mentioned a year or so ago that there was trash dumped near the 4th rappel. We kept our eyes open for any trash near the rappels, and happily, didn't really find a dump area. (I was wondering how someone would have dumped stuff there anyway, based on it's remote location.)
    We did find, and clean, small trash items through the canyon. Much of it was likely from the group that was in front of us at the start. Don't know if they dropped other stuff after we passed them. We still found some cans and other items at the camp locations; but nothing that was significant. (Unless we totally missed something.) Anyway, just thought some folks might want to know that...
    Take care, > A.J. >
  3. Jonas Fast

Jonas Fast Guest

We found some buried old black plastic sacks that we packed out, and it sounds like this was the trash place from the description. Sad to have to pick up trails of freshly dropped candy wrappers and water bottle in this remote location, but maybe it was a desperate attempt to lighten the load by tired kids carrying around truck-sized packs (man, they did not look like they enjoyed it!). Maybe little leave-no-trace for those boy scouts (sorry to generalize...)?

Garbage man

To: Yahoo Canyons Group From: adkramoo@aol.com Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 04:05:01 &#43;0000 Subject: [from Canyons Group] Re: South Fork Robbers Roost Trash

The trash was supposedly (Bill Wolverton) in an alcove on the left, LDC, just a bit below the 4th or Lost Springs rap. The theory was boy scouts based on an insignia found, I believe, but can't confirm

>

> I had forgotten to mention; we were also going to do the best we could to clean up trash in the canyon. Tom and Ram had mentioned a year or so ago that there was trash dumped near the 4th rappel. We kept our eyes open for any trash near the rappels, and happily, didn't really find a dump area. (I was wondering how someone would have dumped stuff there anyway, based on it's remote location.)

>

> We did find, and clean, small trash items through the canyon. Much of it was likely from the group that was in front of us at the start. Don't know if they dropped other stuff after we passed them. We still found some cans and other items at the camp locations; but nothing that was significant. (Unless we totally missed something.) Anyway, just thought some folks might want to know that...

>

> Take care,

> A.J.

>

_______________ Windows Liveâ„¢ SkyDrive: Get 25 GB of free online storage. http://windowslive.com/online/skydrive?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_skydrive_032009
  4. A.J.

A.J. Guest

That was likely one of the camp spots I was referring to. We did find some assorted cans and other stuff there; but not what I would call a "dumping." Found a large garbage bag partially buried and torn up. We cleaned up everything we found. Maybe the bulk of the trash Bill saw was already previously cleaned up, or maybe it got buried. (or maybe there's another spot we didn't see. We tried to keep our eyes open through the canyon though...)

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "adkramoo" <adkramoo@...> wrote:
    The trash was supposedly (Bill Wolverton) in an alcove on the left, LDC, just a bit below the 4th or Lost Springs rap. The theory was boy scouts based on an insignia found, I believe, but can't confirm >
  5. adkramoo

adkramoo Guest

I had pointed several folks toward the tras, including Joe and Sara. Bill did the same. The garbage bags fit the info I was given. Sounds like a collective effort got the job done. Thanks to all who pitched in!!

That was likely one of the camp spots I was referring to. We did find some assorted cans and other stuff there; but not what I would call a "dumping." Found a large garbage bag partially buried and torn up. We cleaned up everything we found. Maybe the bulk of the trash Bill saw was already previously cleaned up, or maybe it got buried. (or maybe there's another spot we didn't see. We tried to keep our eyes open through the canyon though...)
    --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "adkramoo" <adkramoo@> wrote:

>
  6. canyoncrazy

canyoncrazy Guest

It's too bad there is also lots of graffiti after about the third rap, dating 2005,2006,2007, carved into the navajo on canyon left. Ridiculous it seems that a canyoneer would do such a thing to mark their passing or turf, much like the common dog would do, seems some genes in the evolutionary chain doesn't get a chance to be weeded out as much as I would hope. -Joe

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "adkramoo" <adkramoo@...> wrote:
    I had pointed several folks toward the tras, including Joe and Sara. Bill did the same. The garbage bags fit the info I was given. Sounds like a collective effort got the job done. Thanks to all who pitched in!!
    > --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "A.J." <aj@> wrote:

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "adkramoo" <adkramoo@> wrote: