Send us a suggestion!

Some Roost Questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Steve Jorge, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Steve Jorge

Steve Jorge

Going to be in the Roost March 17-18. Had a few questions for the Collective.

1. Water: Anyone been through Alcatraz, BlueJohn, or Larry recently? How were the pools? If I had to guess I'd say the typical pools would be low since most of the recent Utah precipitation has been up north. Can anyone confirm?

2. Chambers vs Leprechaun: We are thinking of doing Chambers. There are members in our party that are right around the 180lb mark which is when the warnings I have seen start to apply. They have done West Fork of Leprechaun and did just fine with the squeezing and occasional need to go high. How does Chambers compare?

3. Road to Chambers: Beta says a high clearance vehicle is required. How about a Subaru Outback? Recommended or not?

Any info appreciated!!!!
  2. Dan Ransom

Dan Ransom Staff Member

Totally different league. Both in terms of difficulty and how narrow it is. 180 really depends on how tall said person is. Middle Fork of Lep is a much better comparison.

In the past a subaru would struggle on the last hill about a mile or two from the end of the road. Tends to wash out very badly and it's quite steep. People have done it, but it's a risk.
  3. cjhaines

cjhaines Chris

I’m around 180 lbs and 6’1” and recently did both Chambers and Middle Leprechaun. I made it through both, but in my opinion the upper section of chambers is a little tighter. It’s also much more of a challenge to go high over tight spots (and by that I mean it might not be possible in certain spots). If I were you I’d go through Middle Lep with your group first and see how they do before moving on to Chambers. That being said, I liked Chambers more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Steve Jorge likes this.
  4. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

As of two weeks ago, the road was in pretty good condition and passable in a Subaru. The sand did have some moisture in it though.

As of two weeks ago, the area's canyons had more water in them than expected. West Fork of White Roost was pretty wet. Little Wildhorse even had quite a few pools.

We did North Fork Robbers Roost two days ago and it was dry, but that canyon usually has a flat sandy floor and is seldom wet.
    Dan Ransom likes this.
  5. ratagonia

ratagonia

I consider Chambers (and Alcatraz for that matter) a big step up from Middle Leprechaun, and Middle Lep a big step up from West Lep. All four are quite good canyons.

Tom
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  6. hank moon

hank moon lovely ligatures

X2 ^^^

Chambers incidents (the reported ones):

http://canyoncollective.com/threads/chambers-canyon-robbers-roost-3-31-2015.21083/#post-90804
    http://canyoncollective.com/threads/woman-breaks-ankle-in-chamber-canyon.19093/
    http://canyoncollective.com/threads/the-blob-does-chambers.24230/
    http://canyoncollective.com/threads/sand.18442/
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    Jenny likes this.
  7. Austin Farnworth

Austin Farnworth

The upclimb in chambers is kinda rough and the canyon in general was significantly more difficult than middle leprechaun. In my opinion Alcatraz was easier than both middle leprechaun and chambers with only one spot I had to go over at 160 pounds.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
  8. ratagonia

ratagonia

The thing about Middle Lep is that there is nothing to it that is "off the ground". Well, if you are over 200 lbs, perhaps, but not under. So while it may be somewhat tight, there is no exposure, no sense of danger other than not getting through. (You could give an exception at the end, but that is an easy downclimb, rather than a difficult spot).

Tom
  9. Steve Jorge

Steve Jorge

Gonna start off with the BlueJohn loop then decide whether to do High Spur or try Alcatraz. Anyone been through BlueJohn or Alcatraz recently? Water levels? We'll prepare for the worst of course, just curious what people have been seeing.

[Edit]: Also, can someone tell me what rappel lengths there are in Alcatraz besides the first one off the car? Wondering if I can leave my 200' at the first rap and then get by on a shorter rope for the rest.

Thanks for the feedback everybody!
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  10. ratagonia

ratagonia

There is no "try". There is only "do" or "not do".

Alcatraz - Road Trip Ryan says:

RATING: 3B
    LENGTH: II (3-5 hours)
    GEAR: Wetsuit. 1-60 m ( 197 ft. ) rope, and 1-30 m ( 99 ft. ) rope. Wetsuit in most conditions, or long sleeves and pants in hot conditions. A headlamp can be helpful in the dark sections, but is not required.
    RAPPELS: 3-4 to 60 m ( 197 ft. )
    WATER: Generally a few small pools. Wetsuit in cool conditions. The canyon floor does not see much sun.
    FLASHFLOOD: High. The canyon has a small drainge, but is very narrow. It would not take much rain diretly over the canyon to flood.

https://www.roadtripryan.com/go/t/utah/robbers-roost/alcatraz

Tom says:

Wetsuit? If it is cold out, I can see wearing a wetsuit, but if warm out... there are only a few places that hold water, and the pools are short, very short. Mostly the one at the 2nd rappel, which is in the sun. BUT, the canyon is almost entirely shaded, and can be cold. In other words, "it depends". That second rappel is 50 feet so no, you do not need to bring a long rope. The first rap off the bumper is about 150 feet, but then, it depends how far back from the edge you park the car, and how you rig off the car.

We have had two weak storms pass through Utah recently, after an extended dry spell. Hard to say how much came down in this area. BlueJohn has a potential long swim/wade at the intersection of the East Fork and Squeeze Fork, but this seems unlikely. I would definitely bring a warm top and drybags, but probably not more than that.

Tom
    Steve Jorge likes this.
  11. Iceaxe

Iceaxe

A 100' rope will get you through Alcatraz after the first rappel.
    Scott Patterson and Steve Jorge like this.
  12. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

This. After you do the initial rappel, there is a rappel at the pothole. It isn't that long. There is another optional rappel (depending on conditions) after this and near the end, but it isn't very long either.
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  13. gajslk

gajslk

Weight is a poor measure of how tight you can go because fat compresses, or at least moves around. Your skeleton is what really determines your ability to go skinny. I've weighed as low as 150lb as an adult and get stuck where heavyweights routinely cruise through. I was blessed with a very thick ribcage, front to back. 8.5" gaps are not negotiable. 9" goes. Does weight correlate with skeleton size? Sure. But take it to the bank and it may not cash.
    ratagonia likes this.
  14. canyonpooper

canyonpooper

Will be heading to the Roost soon. Any updates on water conditions for those canyons?
  15. ratagonia

ratagonia

Big storm came through Zion last night. I don't know if it made it up that far - you might check precip in Hanksville.

Tom
  16. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

Hanksville didn't get any precip, but Hans Flat got 0.21 inches, so at least some of the Roost did get hit.
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
    ratagonia likes this.
  17. Steve Jorge

Steve Jorge

On 3/18/18 we woke up to some snow, then headed out. It didn't seem like it was accumulating very much.
    The sand dunes on the road between Hwy 24 and the Big T that were causing some problems a couple weeks ago were back to the normal level of difficulty, being that you just have to get some momentum as you drive into them.