Send us a suggestion!

Solo Canyons in North Wash?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ryan Hacking, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Ryan Hacking

Ryan Hacking

I may find myself --by myself in North Wash on Wed of this week. Was wondering what others thought of soloing through Morocco or Merry Piglet. Solo is definitely not my preferred method as I always take full safety precautions. But I'm not opposed to it either and I like the solitude sometimes. I feel confident in my skills but of course you don't always know for sure in canyons. Are there any required partner assists in these two? If it's a bad idea are there any other moderate canyons? I could always do the easier irish canyons...but done them a few times.
  2. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

There are no required partner assist in those canyons

If you get lonely, there will millions of biting flies/gnats to keep you company.
    ratagonia likes this.
  3. Flatiron

Flatiron

:twothumbs: Indeed altho my experience is they are not a big issue while moving through canyons but unbearable at Sandthrax campground, and many other possible camping spots. I avoid Sandthrax in the Spring - good place in the Fall. You can solo almost all canyons in NoWash depending on your skill level - Blarney's, Shill's, Leps, Hogs, Maidenwater's, etc. However if you are unsure about a Morocco Or Piglet solo then best be cautious.
  4. Tirrus

Tirrus Rope rider.

Rule #21: Bring a meat anchor.
    Ali Miller and 2065toyota like this.
  5. 2065toyota

2065toyota

Solo canyons. Too risky for me
  6. ratagonia

ratagonia

The approach to Merry Piglet has a boulder problem upclimb, I have always enjoyed a spot at that spot.

I would solo Morocco and Hogwarts, but not Merry Piglet... but then again, MP has never appealed to me. But I would not solo canyons I had not done before.

Tom
  7. Ryan Hacking

Ryan Hacking

I ended up soloing Morocco and up Right Blarney, down Left. Very fun and no problems. However don't really want to do solo again. Made me anxious.
    darhawk and ratagonia like this.
  8. Canyonero

Canyonero

Tirrus likes this.
  9. ratagonia

ratagonia

I have soloed a few canyons, but mainly ones I have done a couple of times. Which is one reason I found this a strange question. Except for almost-non-technical canyons (and even then), I would not solo canyons I have not done before.

But there is that Bluejohn loop that makes a good bike/running/canyoneering/extreme-survival training day.

Tom
    Dan H likes this.
  10. Flatiron

Flatiron

I think soloing gets a bad rap. Personally I solo, and run into many other soloists, whether hiking, skiing, or climbing. I prefer and usually have company but am not averse to soloing. I Nordic solo ski a lot mid week for lack of partners, hiked 13'r or 14'rs by self. Living in Boulder Co I free solo climb in the Flatiron's all the time, as do many many others. It all depends on your comfort, and skill level. I don't push to my limits, but free solo low 5th class and 4th class stuff - no problem. I have done a few canyons solo only because my partners on the trip were resting or something. East Lep, Epic(?) Blarney, Maidenwater. But then just like free solo climbing I only do if I have done b4, or have a partner along 1st time. Or someone I absolutely trust and knows me gives me beta. Went to Moab this Spring to get away from rain and soloed U-Turn and Elephant Butte. Done previously and easy enough.
    Many easy canyons are just scrambling on rock and rapping - why not?
  11. Tirrus

Tirrus Rope rider.

Because even an easy scramble, short jump, or nuisance rappel can turn into a life threatening injury or entrapment. Canyons are unpredictable.

https://canyonaccident.org/
  12. Flatiron

Flatiron

Same could be said for hiking, skiing, rope solo or free solo climbing, trail running, biking, etc. Canyons aren't anymore inherently dangerous than other sports. I would not do some canyons by self, but others no problem. I understand if you don't want to solo any sport - to each his own.
  13. townsend

townsend

Sometimes we solo because we can't a find partner, or because a partner doesn't show up, or because a partner backs out at the last minute. As always, be real careful and, at the very least, always tell someone where you are going, what you are doing, and when you most likely will be back.
  14. Brian in SLC

Brian in SLC Brian in SLC

Or...because the experience is so...different. And, can be pretty fun. Exhilarating even. Eye opening. Mind expanding.

Having to rely on only yourself for everything. Its a different mind set. Not as many heuristic traps. Especially if you've never done the canyon (or climb, or ski tour).

I'll have to say at times I quite enjoy it. Go at my own pace. Stop where I want. No arguments about how to rig an anchor. No debates. No one to blame for not bring the right snacks or forgetting the rappel device. It can be pretty good therapy to be in your own head space for awhile. Especially in an environment with interesting challenges. The focus is way different. The senses.

But, I guess I'm never really solo due to all those voices in my head...
    townsend and Flatiron like this.
  15. Tirrus

Tirrus Rope rider.

And they never saw him again...