Send us a suggestion!

Soldier''s Grave

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by Shane B., Oct 15, 2001.

1. Shane B.

Shane B. Guest

Does anyone know the story behind the Soldier's Grave at the start of the Cheesebox Road? Where did it get it's name? Who is buried there? Anything at all?

My interest was peaked since we camped next to the grave Friday night after you guys tossed us out of the campground. And what do you mean that you only tossed us out to protect the women?

Shane
  2. I fella by the name of Larry Larsen was able to answer my Soldier's Grave question. I have included his respone below for anyone who is interested ~ Shane

To answer your question I refer to Standing Rocks and Sleeping Rainbows by K. E. Rivers. She says that some cowboys got into a dispute with some Paiutes about the ownership of a horse in 1884. The cowboys called in the cavalry. A chase ensued during which the Paiutes ambushed the soldiers and killed two. The Indians got away.