Send us a suggestion!

Slightly off topic: Canyoneers Trash & Recycling

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by bruce silliman, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Just attended a 2 day conference in Cedar City that was sponsored by the Southern Utah Recycling Coalition for the purpose of creating a working group among interested parties in southern Utah and possibly northern Arizona (Page, Fredonia, North Kaibab NF), to investigate ways to transport our recyclables to the new facility in Cedar City that accepts almost everything you may have including glass (a very big item on visitor comment cards in the parks)

My question to the forum is: Do you transport your recyclables back to the first available recycling point or just dump them in a trash bin in Hanksvill or Escalante or Green River?

Are there recycling points in Green River, Grand Junction, etc.

Where are these points on your way home from canyons in southern Utah?

Do you care?

Thanks,

bruce from bryce
  2. adkramoo

adkramoo Guest

As the king of outdoor seltzer drinking, this is what I do. The visitor centers, Arches, Cap Reef, Zion, Escalante have recycling of aluminum. Arches almost everything else. I crush the cans and await my next natural passage by these places when on long trips. Works OK. Cap Reef makes you crush your cans.

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "bruce silliman" <weabruce@...> wrote: > Just attended a 2 day conference in Cedar City that was sponsored by > the Southern Utah Recycling Coalition for the purpose of creating a > working group among interested parties in southern Utah and possibly > northern Arizona (Page, Fredonia, North Kaibab NF), to investigate > ways to transport our recyclables to the new facility in Cedar City > that accepts almost everything you may have including glass (a very > big item on visitor comment cards in the parks)
    My question to the forum is: Do you transport your recyclables back > to the first available recycling point or just dump them in a trash > bin in Hanksvill or Escalante or Green River?
    Where are these points on your way home from canyons in southern > Utah?
    Do you care?
    Thanks,
    bruce from bryce >
  3. Chris Reeves

Chris Reeves Guest

Well anybody passing through St. George afterwards, there is the Rocky Mountain Recycling in the St. George Industrial area just off of the freeway, which is where I take all our office paper and my alumninum cans. They don't require you to crush your cans first. They take pretty much everything except for glass unfortunately. They also pay you for your paper and aluminum and copper, etc.

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "bruce silliman" <weabruce@...> wrote:
    Just attended a 2 day conference in Cedar City that was sponsored by > the Southern Utah Recycling Coalition for the purpose of creating a > working group among interested parties in southern Utah and possibly > northern Arizona (Page, Fredonia, North Kaibab NF), to investigate > ways to transport our recyclables to the new facility in Cedar City > that accepts almost everything you may have including glass (a very > big item on visitor comment cards in the parks)
    My question to the forum is: Do you transport your recyclables back > to the first available recycling point or just dump them in a trash > bin in Hanksvill or Escalante or Green River?
    Do you care?
    Thanks,
    bruce from bryce >
  4. restrac2000

restrac2000 Guest

Just attended a 2 day conference in Cedar City that was sponsored by > the Southern Utah Recycling Coalition for the purpose of creating a > working group among interested parties in southern Utah and possibly > northern Arizona (Page, Fredonia, North Kaibab NF), to investigate > ways to transport our recyclables to the new facility in Cedar City > that accepts almost everything you may have including glass (a very > big item on visitor comment cards in the parks)
    Do you care?
    Thanks,
    bruce from bryce >

Hey Bruce,

How are they weighing the cost (environmental and economic) of transportation to the benefits of recycling? Always been curious about that in places like Utah and the Arizona Strip.

Anybody have any good literature or links about this subject? Seems like his been an ongoing dialog the last ten years.

Youth
  5. A.J.

A.J. Guest

I know for our trips that I'll try to take the recycling items (glass, plastic, metal) back home with me to Boulder, CO. Lots of recycling options out here. Would be nice to ditch it closer if the option existed, but I haven't really noticed a good option out there. (Haven't really looked that hard either though.)

Take care, A.J.

Do you care?
    Thanks,
    bruce from bryce >
  6. In concert with SUU, a study will be conducted to ascertain the monetary benefit versus the cost of transportation. We (the parks) are required by executive order to recycle so we have been looking for that transportation link since the establishment of the coalition in 2005.

The operator of the recycling center in Cedar City is going to be purchasing green trucks (propane @ $.61 per gallon) and will be setting up pickups from various locations in this area. Springdale being the one place that is ready to go forward -- and the pickup will be at no cost.

We at Bryce are hoping to use the Highway 12 Committee to get us into the local city governments to encourage them to start programs and then establish a transportation system that will take it to a collection facility probably in Panguitch.

It will be small steps at first but we hope to incorporate many towns in southern utah.

If interested in a major success story google "HEADWATERS" that operates north of Yellowstone.

bruce from bryce

To: canyons@yahoogroups.comFrom: Happyfeet00@Hotmail.comDate: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 17:28:35 &#43;0000Subject: [from Canyons Group] Re: Slightly off topic: Canyoneers Trash & Recycling

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "bruce silliman" <weabruce@...> wrote:>> Just attended a 2 day conference in Cedar City that was sponsored by > the Southern Utah Recycling Coalition for the purpose of creating a > working group among interested parties in southern Utah and possibly > northern Arizona (Page, Fredonia, North Kaibab NF), to investigate > ways to transport our recyclables to the new facility in Cedar City > that accepts almost everything you may have including glass (a very > big item on visitor comment cards in the parks)
    Do you care?
    Thanks,
    bruce from bryce>Hey Bruce,How are they weighing the cost (environmental and economic) oftransportation to the benefits of recycling? Always been curiousabout that in places like Utah and the Arizona Strip.Anybody have any good literature or links about this subject? Seemslike his been an ongoing dialog the last ten years.Youth

_______________ Share life as it happens with the new Windows Live.Download today it's FREE! http://www.windowslive.com/share.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_Wave2_sharelife_112007
  7. Thanks for yours and everyone else's replies and its nice to know that you are taking your recyclables with you. Not sure if we could get over to Hanksville but an entrepreneur might get something going.

bruce from bryce

To: canyons@yahoogroups.comFrom: adventure_geek@yahoo.comDate: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 19:00:41 &#43;0000Subject: [from Canyons Group] Re: Slightly off topic: Canyoneers Trash & Recycling

I know for our trips that I'll try to take the recycling items (glass, plastic, metal) back home with me to Boulder, CO. Lots of recycling options out here. Would be nice to ditch it closer if the option existed, but I haven't really noticed a good option out there. (Haven't really looked that hard either though.)Take care,A.J.--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "bruce silliman" <weabruce@...> wrote:>> Just attended a 2 day conference in Cedar City that was sponsored by > the Southern Utah Recycling Coalition for the purpose of creating a > working group among interested parties in southern Utah and possibly > northern Arizona (Page, Fredonia, North Kaibab NF), to investigate > ways to transport our recyclables to the new facility in Cedar City > that accepts almost everything you may have including glass (a very > big item on visitor comment cards in the parks)
    Do you care?
    Thanks,
    bruce from bryce>

_______________ Your smile counts. The more smiles you share, the more we donate.  Join in. www.windowslive.com/smile?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_Wave2_oprsmilewlhmtagline
  8. adkramoo

adkramoo Guest

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "bruce silliman" <weabruce@...> wrote: > Just attended a 2 day conference in Cedar City that was sponsored by > the Southern Utah Recycling Coalition for the purpose of creating a > working group among interested parties in southern Utah and possibly > northern Arizona (Page, Fredonia, North Kaibab NF), to investigate > ways to transport our recyclables to the new facility in Cedar City > that accepts almost everything you may have including glass (a very > big item on visitor comment cards in the parks) > My question to the forum is: Do you transport your recyclables back > to the first available recycling point or just dump them in a trash > bin in Hanksvill or Escalante or Green River? > Are there recycling points in Green River, Grand Junction, etc. > Where are these points on your way home from canyons in southern > Utah?

More

Summit focuses on recycling initiative

ST. GEORGE - Many Southern Utah and northern Arizona organizations involved in recycling gathered for a recycling summit on Nov. 28 and 29 to begin planning a regional recycling initiative. The conference attendees reported on individual local efforts for recycling and discussed future growth and needs in their areas. Marie Zanowick of the Environmental Protection Agency moderated the discussions to develop coordination and planning among groups. A highlight of the summit was the presentation by Jim Evanoff of Yellowstone National Park and Headwaters Recycling Coalition. Over the past decade, Yellowstone has diverted up to 70 percent of waste from landfills, sending it to recycling centers or compost facilities. Headwaters Recycling Coalition is a group of cities, counties and national parks and forests covering an area of more than 35,000 square miles that coordinate efforts to provide recycling in rural areas in Montana and Idaho at a low cost of $1.55 per person per year.

The Southern Utah and northern Arizona attendees were very interested in building on this model.

The conference was organized by Paul Roelandt, superintendent of Cedar Breaks National Monument, and Jay Boisseau, of the Environmental Management Division of the National Park Service, and co-sponsored by Southern Utah University. Event attendees included representatives from Southern Utah University, National Park units including Bryce, Zion, Glen Canyon, Cedar Breaks and Pipe Spring, Dixie and Kaibab National Forests, Xanterrra Resorts, Lake Powell Resorts, Escalante Petrified Forest State Park, the cities of Cedar City, Springdale, and Page, Ariz., the Recycling Coalition of Utah, Southern Utah Recycling Coalition, Waste Con Environmental, Blue Sky Recycling and Washington County Solid Waste.

Contact the SURC by e-mail at southernutahrecy clingcoalition@gmail.com or visit their Website at www.southernutahrecyles.org for more information.
  9. Our biggest obstacle is the ambivilance of the people toward recycling. Hopefully we can make major inroads in this area.

bruce

To: canyons@yahoogroups.comFrom: adkramoo@aol.comDate: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 17:40:35 &#43;0000Subject: [from Canyons Group] Re: Slightly off topic: Canyoneers Trash & Recycling

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "bruce silliman" <weabruce@...> wrote:> Just attended a 2 day conference in Cedar City that was sponsored by > the Southern Utah Recycling Coalition for the purpose of creating a > working group among interested parties in southern Utah and possibly > northern Arizona (Page, Fredonia, North Kaibab NF), to investigate > ways to transport our recyclables to the new facility in Cedar City > that accepts almost everything you may have including glass (a very > big item on visitor comment cards in the parks)> My question to the forum is: Do you transport your recyclables back > to the first available recycling point or just dump them in a trash > bin in Hanksvill or Escalante or Green River?> Are there recycling points in Green River, Grand Junction, etc.> Where are these points on your way home from canyons in southern > Utah?MoreSummit focuses on recycling initiativeST. GEORGE - Many Southern Utah and northern Arizona organizationsinvolved in recycling gathered for a recycling summit on Nov. 28 and29 to begin planning a regional recycling initiative.The conference attendees reported on individual local efforts forrecycling and discussed future growth and needs in their areas. MarieZanowick of the Environmental Protection Agency moderated thediscussions to develop coordination and planning among groups.A highlight of the summit was the presentation by Jim Evanoff ofYellowstone National Park and Headwaters Recycling Coalition. Over thepast decade, Yellowstone has diverted up to 70 percent of waste fromlandfills, sending it to recycling centers or compost facilities.Headwaters Recycling Coalition is a group of cities, counties andnational parks and forests covering an area of more than 35,000 squaremiles that coordinate efforts to provide recycling in rural areas inMontana and Idaho at a low cost of $1.55 per person per year.The Southern Utah and northern Arizona attendees were very interestedin building on this model.The conference was organized by Paul Roelandt, superintendent of CedarBreaks National Monument, and Jay Boisseau, of the EnvironmentalManagement Division of the National Park Service, and co-sponsored bySouthern Utah University. Event attendees included representativesfrom Southern Utah University, National Park units including Bryce,Zion, Glen Canyon, Cedar Breaks and Pipe Spring, Dixie and KaibabNational Forests, Xanterrra Resorts, Lake Powell Resorts, EscalantePetrified Forest State Park, the cities of Cedar City, Springdale, andPage, Ariz., the Recycling Coalition of Utah, Southern Utah RecyclingCoalition, Waste Con Environmental, Blue Sky Recycling and WashingtonCounty Solid Waste.Contact the SURC by e-mail at southernutahrecyclingcoalition@gmail.com or visit their Website atwww.southernutahrecyles.org for more information.

_______________ Your smile counts. The more smiles you share, the more we donate.  Join in. www.windowslive.com/smile?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_Wave2_oprsmilewlhmtagline