Send us a suggestion!

Tech Tip: Question Shrinkage (ropes, canyoneering)

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Gear' started by ratagonia, Jul 22, 2016.

1. tom_brennan

tom_brennan

So what is the shrinkage factor for your rope? ;)
  2. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

That is yet to be determined but I would say getting an extra 5% might be prudent.
  3. Andrew J Farrow

Andrew J Farrow

hi - appologies - my first post may have been worded badly - but i did state that i cut all my ropes with a ASSUMPTION of 10% lifetime shrinkage

what my attempt at levity was really aiming at was the " over analysis " of why 2 ropes may be shrinking at different rates

thats what i am advising people to just accept

ropes shrink - and i have ropes off the same 200m roll that have shrunk at different rates - despite similar working lives

i know that they shirnk differently - cos i do an audit twice a year on all my kit

i dont know why they shrink differently - or care
    Rapterman likes this.
  4. ratagonia

ratagonia

I am an engineer, and I am in the canyoneering rope business. It is MY JOB to understand the shrinkage... well, at least try, or at least to understand all that is understandable. Which may or may not be a lot. But it is my job to discern what is discernible...

And I think generally, as canyoneers, those of us who care about the craft of canyoneering, should know what we CAN on the subject.

Although, I must admit, you make a good point. Excess navel gazing is not useful. Understanding cause is not necessary. Taking adequate steps to MANAGE one's rope, in light of the obvious fact of unpredictable shrinkage IS necessary. And for most, sufficient.

Tom
    Rapterman and Jenny like this.