Send us a suggestion!

Shinob, Nighthawk fork Conditions?

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Mac Wray, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Mac Wray

Mac Wray

Is it required to build an anchor/use deadman? from what I've read a deadman/cairn anchor needs to be used for the second to last rap, and that the sand/rocks that need to be used could be washed down with a big flow and there could be a scarcity of stuff to use to build the anchor. I read in the beta base that a group had to ferry rocks down from the previous rap to build the cairn anchor? Just curious to what other methods have been used. I'm planning on doing this canyon next weekend. Also wondering about water conditions if anyone has been through this canyon recently.
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  2. Austin Farnworth

Austin Farnworth

I went through nighthawk last month and the 200ft rappel had a good deadman anchor. I didn't really see any other possibility for alternate anchor methods on the last rappel due to its extended and complicated nature. There are some good rocks before the second to last rappel that you could ferry down just in case, though the conditions of the other deadman anchors in the canyon would let you know what to expect for the last anchor.
  3. Mac Wray

Mac Wray

Thanks! my only concern is that deadman could have possibly washed out along with the dirt/sand that was holding it, in which ferrying rocks would be the only option. Plus this will be my first canyon with pothole escapes. I'm a competent climber/down climber but that being said it might take a little extra time to get past the pot hole sections depending on water level. Then, if we have to end up ferrying rocks down that will take a bunch of extra time as well. The beta did say that this is good pot hole "practice" so i assume they aren't too difficult compared to poe or some of those powell canyons.
  4. Austin Farnworth

Austin Farnworth

The pothole section doesn't have any keeper potholes as of last month. We showed up with multiple potshots and did not ever get them out. It would take a serious flood to make the potholes in there require potshots. Having a group of at least 4 would make the pothole section nice because when I did it with only one other person, the down-climbs were really sketchy. You could bail off the route at the start of the pothole section, so if the first deadman right there is washed away I would be worried about the final anchor and bail.
  5. Mac Wray

Mac Wray

I could build a cairn anchor if necessary for the big one. If you had enough rope do you think you could sequence the last two rappels off of the log jam(2nd to last) without too many retrieval complications(getting rope stuck)? I know that its already a super long pull with a crack that can possibly jam up the rope.
  6. Austin Farnworth

Austin Farnworth

The log jam is too far away around a couple corners to get a good pull from. The deadman is pretty much they only option there. Nighthawk isn't quite worth it in my opinion. A very short technical section with some scary risks for a few good views. The squeeze in the Swell is far better introduction to potholes and a lot more enjoyable than nighthawk.