Send us a suggestion!

AZ: Superstitions Shaketree 2-15-17

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Ram, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Ram

Ram

Poised for our last day in Central Arizona, Wes showed us his and his dads short cut to Shaketree Canyon. Saved about 10 miles of hiking. BUT that road we went up? I am still trying to get my kidneys back where they belong. Ahhh but the canyon? That was REALLY sweet! Fair bit of water. The place took some thought to navigate safely. A bit more "face shots" but not super bad...and just "DROP.....DEAD.....GORGEOUS, to quote our partner in absentia, Rich Rudow. My thanks to Todd and Wes for the tour of the area. They managed logistics and transitions to a tee and we seemed always to be in the right place, at the right time. With as much water as we had, the canyons we did, were top shelf.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jenny? You in there?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Todd Martin

Todd Martin

3. Deagol

Deagol too many hobbies

interesting shoes/boot Jenny has on in those pics....
    Jenny likes this.
  4. ratagonia

ratagonia

Jenny and Deagol like this.
  5. srosander01

srosander01

I bought the Bestard Canyon Guides for some upcoming "Wet" canyons. Any feedback for how they performed for her?
  6. Jenny

Jenny

I really should be the poster child for these boots!
    They perform well for me in wet, dry, sandy, hot and cold conditions. I find them very SLIGHTLY less sticky than 5.10 rubber but I've found 5.10s to vary as well. I don't have sand accumulation and they drain beautiful. The drying time is less, as well. I find them light and comfortable to the point that I wear them as my backpacking desert and mountain boot (unless crampons are needed). The attention to small details is amazing to me and justifies the cost. Velcro tab that tucks away and can loop around the lace bow to secure against snagging branches/cactus, locking ankle lace-loop, clean tongue stitching, etc. etc.. I recently purchased a 3rd pair as I fear that the design may change as is often the case with boot design, eh? They now offer the same boot in an ankle high version, but at the same price.

I have heard that some folks find irritation with a rub at the heel that feels like a stiff spot. I've noticed that on one pair but with a dab of hockey/athletic tape on my heel, it worked soft over time.
    Ram, Deagol and Wes1 like this.