Send us a suggestion!

secondhand Heaps report

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by j b, Oct 1, 2010.

1. j b

j b Guest

Well, Tom gave a nice Imlay report, so I guess we might as well know about Heaps too. My brother Mark lucked into a leisurely 2-day trip this last weekend with two other people who had never been, but had recently acquired a 100-m rope. They saw one other party doing it in one day. His remarks (at least as I understood them): weather was "cruelly" hot, but the water was really pleasant in a wetsuit. And there was plenty of water, making for a complete romp. Maybe two locations that required a pack toss, except throwing the pack wasn't necessary, all he had to do was dangle it over the lip to gain sufficient leverage. As for the exit sequence, he said the penultimate rappel seemed sketchy with the exposed tree roots and all, but no problems. The final rap was of course exposed, but mostly just a long rap. His partners, however, were less accustomed to single strand rappels and were therefore more nervous, and Mark found that their nervousness eventually started to affect him as well. Interesting dynamic. Overall, a fantastic trip for him.

Jeff

2. RAM

RAM Guest

Thanks Jeff. Headed there soon so good to know. Say hello to Mark for me. Did his partners just never been in Heaps before or were they folks that he didn't know or have canyoneering history with?

That others (not necessarily Mark) are going to places like this with folks that aren't regular partners scares me a lot. There are many good canyons to meet new folks in, where if you find incompatibility in style, fitness or personality, the ramifications are small. Heaps? No thank you!! R

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, j b <pofr2004@...> wrote:
    Well, Tom gave a nice Imlay report, so I guess we might as well know about Heaps > too. My brother Mark lucked into a leisurely 2-day trip this last weekend with > two other people who had never been, but had recently acquired a 100-m rope. > They saw one other party doing it in one day. His remarks (at least as I > understood them): weather was "cruelly" hot, but the water was really pleasant > in a wetsuit. And there was plenty of water, making for a complete romp. Maybe > two locations that required a pack toss, except throwing the pack wasn't > necessary, all he had to do was dangle it over the lip to gain sufficient > leverage. As for the exit sequence, he said the penultimate rappel seemed > sketchy with the exposed tree roots and all, but no problems. The final rap was > of course exposed, but mostly just a long rap. His partners, however, were less > accustomed to single strand rappels and were therefore more nervous, and Mark > found that their nervousness eventually started to affect him as well. > Interesting dynamic. Overall, a fantastic trip for him.
    Jeff

> >
  3. j b

j b Guest

That's a good point. We've canyoned with one of his companions, and he's plenty capable. The other I know nothing about. All three of them are climbers before canyoneers, though, so single strand is not the usual technique. Jeff

________________________________ From: RAM adkramoo@aol.com> To: Yahoo Canyons Group Sent: Sat, October 2, 2010 2:09:15 PM Subject: Re: [from Canyons Group] secondhand Heaps report

Thanks Jeff. Headed there soon so good to know. Say hello to Mark for me. Did his partners just never been in Heaps before or were they folks that he didn't know or have canyoneering history with?

That others (not necessarily Mark) are going to places like this with folks that aren't regular partners scares me a lot. There are many good canyons to meet new folks in, where if you find incompatibility in style, fitness or personality, the ramifications are small. Heaps? No thank you!! R

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, j b <pofr2004@...> wrote:
    Well, Tom gave a nice Imlay report, so I guess we might as well know about >Heaps
    too. My brother Mark lucked into a leisurely 2-day trip this last weekend with
    two other people who had never been, but had recently acquired a 100-m rope. > They saw one other party doing it in one day. His remarks (at least as I > understood them): weather was "cruelly" hot, but the water was really pleasant

> in a wetsuit. And there was plenty of water, making for a complete romp. >Maybe
    two locations that required a pack toss, except throwing the pack wasn't > necessary, all he had to do was dangle it over the lip to gain sufficient > leverage. As for the exit sequence, he said the penultimate rappel seemed > sketchy with the exposed tree roots and all, but no problems. The final rap >was
    of course exposed, but mostly just a long rap. His partners, however, were >less
    accustomed to single strand rappels and were therefore more nervous, and Mark > found that their nervousness eventually started to affect him as well. > Interesting dynamic. Overall, a fantastic trip for him.
    Jeff

> >

---

When you post, please change the Subject appropriately, to make reading and searching easier. You can use the following abbreviations: TRIP = Trip Report; BETA = Canyon Beta; PARTNER = Partner and/or Rides; ETHICS = Ethics; TECH = Technical Questions and Tips; BIZ = E Group Business; SALE = Stuff for Sale. Please use a Tilde ~ after the abbreviation, so we know you are coding for us, such as:

Subject: BIZ~ New Abbreviation List - working?

To change your delivery options, go to the Canyons Egroup page on yahoo: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canyons/

This will require logging into Yahoo. Click on the &amp;amp;quot;Edit My Membership&amp;amp;quot; link, and change your delivery option. Press &amp;amp;quot;Save

Changes&amp;amp;quot;.

WEB ONLY OPTION will not deliver email; you must visit the web site to view messages. Groups Links