Send us a suggestion!

Sandthrax vs Psycho D?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pagerocks, Sep 11, 2018.

1. pagerocks

pagerocks

Anyone here done both Sandthrax and Psycho D? How much easier/harder are the silo crossings and stemming in Psycho D?

I have done Sandthrax and the silos were at the edge of my comfort level for stretching. Without the OW section, it sounds like PD is less of a hassle.

Is the stemming longer?
  2. Austin Farnworth

Austin Farnworth

I've only done part of sandthrax but have done all of psycho D. Psycho D has only one serious silo, but even that can be downclimbed if you are unwilling to cross it at height. Sandthrax from after the crux to the end is harder than all of psycho D except the one silo crossing. It will honestly be no problem for you if you can handle sandthrax.
    hank moon likes this.
  3. Austin Farnworth

Austin Farnworth

This is a poor quality video of me crossing the crux silo in Psycho D. Entering the silo with your right shoulder facing down canyon is key, and the only part that feels a bit unstable is the move out of the silo back into the narrow slot.

wisconnyjohnny likes this.
  4. pagerocks

pagerocks

It looks like it is not so wide that you couldn't just go back-to-feet to cross the widest part. Thanks for the video!
    Austin Farnworth likes this.
  5. Austin Farnworth

Austin Farnworth

I would suggest star bridging the silo like I did in the video, it won't work out so well if you try back to feet.
    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
  6. ratagonia

ratagonia

Uh, well...

Sandthrax and PychoD are almost complete opposites, in the universe of X- canyons.

Sandthrax is an endurance piece, with very few actual difficult moves. The Silo crossing in Sandthrax is pretty easy. But there is so much off-the-ground time that it just grinds you down. And there is the crux up-climb that is the real difficulty in Sandthrax.

PsychoD on the other hand, has only a couple short X- sections. One silo crossing early is a bit of a stretch... and the late silo is quite reasonable, if you correctly figure out the torpedo-tube entrance to it. So, a couple short, spicy moments, not endurance.

The upper stretches of Psycho D are also good, so if you go out there, do those too!

And of course, ALL X canyons and all silo crossings may vary substantially with height. I am 5'10", so apply my evaluation with that in mind.

Tom
  7. pagerocks

pagerocks

Thanks folks! We are gonna do Psycho D as a warmup in a few weeks with Sandthrax the next day depending on team headspace.
    ratagonia likes this.
  8. Austin Farnworth

Austin Farnworth

I would also recommend doing glaucoma while your out there, it should only be an hour and a half of high-stemming, but is more sustained than psycho D and has very fun movement.
    Tom Collins likes this.
  9. pagerocks

pagerocks

Interesting, where can I find beta for glaucoma? Does it go by a different name?
  10. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

11. Austin Farnworth

Austin Farnworth

The X-rated downclimb near the beginning and the mouse trap feature are the main challenges of the canyon, both are less intense than the psycho d silo in my opinion. The down-climb is just a long elevator with a silo to step over at the bottom. The mouse trap is where a bombay opens up underneath and you have stretch a little bit going down the hallway back-to-feet.
    Tom Collins likes this.
  12. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

With the mousetrap its wide open underneath you so its a little heady crossing it, but the stretch is less than anything in Sandthrax if I remember.
    ratagonia likes this.