Send us a suggestion!

Sandthrax rescue, March 11, 2014

Discussion in 'Accidents and Near Misses' started by deeps, Apr 12, 2014.

1. deeps

deeps

Does anyone have any information about a recent rescue in Sandthrax? A father and two pre-teen kids, possibly in the canyon for several days?
  2. Deagol

Deagol too many hobbies

3. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

Holy hell, kids and a clueless guy in Sandthrax... This season is off to a great start.

Welcome to the future.

LNT
  4. PG Rob

PG Rob

This was posted on KSL:
    "Mr. Knight is an experienced in climbing,caving, and canyoneering. He did follow your prescribed list. His time table did expire and the proper authorities where notified promptly. Knight brings almost twice as much gear as needed. He just found a spot where his body shape didn't match the shape of the canyon; his boys are experienced enough to have gotten themselves to a save location and they followed their dad's instructions. We are grateful to have them home!"
  5. PG Rob

PG Rob

Following are the best ways to know that someone is a skilled and experienced canyoneer:

1: They take twice the necessary gear into Sandthrax... because we all know (those that have done Sandthrax) you just can't have enough gear. In fact, I wish I took 10 times the gear that is needed (you can't be too safe). Additionally, I am going to start doing this while mountaineering too. From now on, I will take 2 sleeping bags, an extra tent, a few extra pair of crampons, 1000 feet of rope, 4 helmets, etc... (again, you can't be too safe).

2: They are so awesome, that they can take young children into places less skilled and experienced canyoneers won't go.

3: They know how and where to find those secret spots in canyons where the canyons shape does not match their own shape. Additionally, they recognize this is nature, you can't change it, and the best thing to do is go straight into those places rather than climb over or under them.

4: If they have been climbing or caving before, they are probably an awesome canyoneer, since all you really do is hike and slide down ropes.

5: They are in the know on who to have their family call to bail them out. The good news with this is most SAR personnel have nothing better to do with their time or money than to go out to see the skilled and experienced canyoneers in the canyon environment.

6: They are so good that they don't need to bother with navigation or knowing which canyon they are in. That is for those less skilled and experienced than you.

7: Lastly, the skilled and experienced canyoneer will make sure his friends and family know of his/her skill and why they are so skilled and experienced. This way, they can defend their reputation when they are away or occupied in a deep canyon somewhere.

In summary, I have learned a lot in what I need to do to be a more skilled and experienced Canyoneer. I just hope I'm not the only one learning from this experience. Please evaluate this list carefully to assess your overall skill and experience.

Thank You!
    Kuenn likes this.
  6. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Is that an X slot?

I'm also curious on the planning steps taken and the claimed experience.

Perhaps the kids also had rescue and canyon training, and have done many R canyons in preparation?

I'm not nearly as experienced as many here, but the story resonates with me as I have a) done more than a hundred or so canyons, many with my kids over a few years b) have done several R, humbly acknowledging the risks c) have two kids that same age that have taken formal canyon training and d) do not have this canyon on my current list to do with my younger kids.

So perhaps his kids have a stronger resume? They need to, if they planned to do Sandthrax.

X canyons are not for every canyoneer. That is OK.

Yes, would be good to know Mr. Knight's canyon experience, kids experience, training, and prepatory process.

Hopefully more facts come out.
    Kuenn likes this.
  7. Mountaineer

I'll quote myself, benefit of the doubt still?

Slow judgement not needed given the current facts.

I can't think of any training and experience adequate for this scenario. Two small kids and one adult?

I can't imagine how scared they must have been. If that lady hadn't called.....
  8. Mountaineer

Rumor is that East Lep was the intent, and they navigated to the wrong canyon.
  9. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

Yeah, cuz eat Lep and Sandthrax are sooo close

LNT
  10. Lizzard

Lizzard

11. Mountaineer

They are very far apart, but makes the most sense right now as I can't imagine taking kids down Sandthrax.

Lots of information or a story that is passed from person to person but has not been proven to be true.

Glad they are all ok. And maybe we'll hear the story direct.
  12. trackrunner

trackrunner

interview on fox 13 Utah with the father about right now 9:00pm
  13. Mountaineer

14. darhawk

darhawk

hmmmm. well. That interview raises lots more questions and seems to cry out for some contextualizing and fact-checking. East Lep is "very easy" for children? "Did the canyon and got to the end"? Rescue teams just hope they have enough gas to get to the next rescue? And others. I'm trying to be understanding, but these comments don't seem particularly helpful or on-target, and I worry about how they underplay the seriousness of these issues. I did West and East Lep on Friday with my son without knowing of the family stuck in Sandthrax during that same time. I'm grateful for their safe return but think it crucial to get out excellent and accurate information.
  15. Mountaineer

Yes, it does.
  16. Mike Zampino

Mike Zampino Canyon season never ends.

Prepared? I don't think I have seen any Leprechaun maps that do not have Sandthrax marked with "Danger" or "Warning".
  17. Kuenn

Kuenn

GMA link:
    http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/father-sons-stranded-sandthrax-canyon-days-wrong-turn-23315320

Don't even know where to begin critiquing this father. For his sake, I hope his wife is not skilled in martial arts. At the very least she might want to put his canyoneering/climbing/caving gear on the top shelf of the closet for a few months and send him to the time out corner.

Somebody needs to award his sons with a citation of bravery, they're the heroes here...along with SAR.
  18. ratagonia

ratagonia

Good Morning America bit: short and to the point. After doing things wrong, Jason did things right. States that the rescue was initiated by his wife when they did not come back from their trip.

Tom
  19. Kuenn

Kuenn

Agree, she worked with what she was given, and I'm truly happy and relieved for them all. However, I'm surprised that a daily check-in was not part of their routine. I know cell reception is sparse in that area, but the stakes are high with the youngsters along. Had this been summertime, it would have not been good.
  20. Mountaineer

Or even a day later, big storms came through Saturday night. The weather was almost perfect during their time.