Send us a suggestion!

Sandthrax Mouse steals sleep and cookies!

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by Luke, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Luke

Luke Guest

The Sandthrax Mouse that Stole 2.5 Hours of My Sleep!

September 17th 2011 I was out with friends in the North Wash area playing in some canyons. There had been rains that week that had washed out some roads around Ticaboo Mesa and soaked the area in general. We took advantage of a break in the clouds and rain that day and had a lot of fun splashing around in Woody Canyon which was tippy top full and a fun romp.

After we completed Woody Canyon it began to rain again. With the recent rains and now having more rain, we decided camping near the highway would be a good idea, so we went over to the Sandthrax Camp. Since this is a popular camp area it attracts some small rodents to prey on the accidental food spills from campers (this is the first hint of what will happen later).

As the skies got dark and our eyes heavy it was nearing bed time but we still had some visiting to do. While milling around in my food bag, I noticed my half empty package of Pecan Sandies. I love these cookies and started offering them to everyone at camp. After everyone, including me, had their fill I was ready to put the package away but found there was only one cookie left. I decided to down it just to finish things up. As I took the first nibble, Doug jokingly mentioned I should save it for morning. My mind immediately went to my morning cup of coffee and I decided that was a good idea.

I placed the cookie on the driver side front floor board of my car. Being a little lazy I decided to just stuff the empty Pecan Sandie package in the floor board behind the driver seat. When I sleep in my car, my head is right over the top of where the empty package now sits (hint number two).

As I was preparing for bed I decided the night was nice enough to enjoy so I left the driver's side door open. This gave me lots of fresh air and allowed me to fall asleep looking up at the stars in the now clear skies. The view of stars in the sky when you are far away from any major city never ceases to amaze me even though I see it frequently.

I was able to fall asleep rather quickly since I had an 8 hour drive out to the area after work the night before and incidentally did not get a full nights rest. After an hour or so of sleep I started hearing a little rustling around in the car. Each time I would move around as I woke up. When I moved the rustling would stop. Since I was still half asleep it took a few times to start wondering if it was real or if I was imagining it.

A few more moments of rustling made me think it was real and I needed to investigate. As I sat up on one elbow I noticed my head grazed the seat belt which in turn rubbed on the empty cookie package below. When I heard it and saw what it was I wondered "maybe it was me all this time".

I decided to stay still and sit up for a few minutes. As I sat there it didn't take long before I started hearing movement below me. At that moment I knew I had company but I had no idea what it was. I had a few guesses but no real information. I started looking around and soon found the Pecan Sandie in the front floor board was now gone! That confirmed I was not alone. The question now was what is it and how do I get it to go away?

I got out a flash light and started looking around the car and found nothing. While I looked I heard brief movement a couple times but couldn't pin point where it was coming from. After looking for a while I took a break to go pee. As I was going Doug looked out of his truck and jokingly said go for me too. I started telling him what was going on.

After our talk I went back over to the car and shined the flashlight in the driver side door and saw a small mouse sitting right in the middle of the passenger side front seat. A mouse is hardly a shocking thing to see but seeing it sitting on my passenger seat kind of shocked me and I froze just staring at him. What I found funny was the mouse froze too and we locked eyes for a second. I know I was thinking "Shit there he is"! And from the way the mouse froze I assume the same thought went through his head "Shit there he is"!

After 1 or 2 seconds of us staring at one another the mouse bolted for cover. He moved so fast I honestly have no idea which way he ran. I immediately started looking for the mouse. I shined my light everywhere and looked under everything I could. I found nothing. Looking around a car for a mouse is like looking for a marble in a full grain silo. The mouse could be anywhere!

After a bit of looking I decided to give up. I moved all food items to a storage bin outside the car. I hoped this would leave nothing of interest and the mouse would leave of his own free will. I went back to bed and hoped for the best.

A few minutes later I started to hear the mouse running around in the car checking thins out. I got up again to look around and of course found nothing. As I looked under the seats I realized how much trash I had under them so I decided to get it all cleaned out. I hoped this would make it easier to find the mouse. But in the back of my head I knew that even if I found the mouse there is no way I could get him out. There are just too many places to run into for a small mouse. After clearing my trash and looking for a long time I decided once again I would try to go to sleep.

After few minutes I thought here we go again as I started hearing the mouse looking around. As I lay there I remembered I had a function generator app downloaded to my phone. I pulled up the app and turned on a sine wave to about 14khz. I wanted to use a higher frequency since I know mice can hear very high frequencies. Unfortunately I had to keep it in a range where I could hear it too. If I went too high I would not know if I couldn't hear it because my ears would not register something that high or if the phone speaker was not able to produce the sound.

After turning on the function generator I held it so the sound went down into the floor boards. As I moved it around I would occasionally hear the mouse run around more than he was before. I thought it was awesome that the sound was affecting him and maybe it would cause him to leave. No such luck! I could get him to move around but after about 15 minutes it was evident he was not leaving.

I left the function generator running, set it down on the floorboards and tried to go back to sleep. As I lay there I kept hearing the mouse run around in the car again. I got up and resumed the search knowing it was pointless but I could not sleep so

I had to try.

Each time I gave up looking and went to sleep I was torn on closing the door or keeping it open. I did not want to close the door and lock the mouse in with me. But I also did not want to leave it open so other mice could come in and play too.

After a couple more rounds of trying to sleep, being kept awake by a hyper active mouse and getting up to look for the mouse, I decided to sit in a nearby camp chair and watch the door of the car. I hoped I would see the mouse leave. After sitting there for about 10 minutes the mouse did jump out of the car. I was very happy to see this. Now that the mouse was gone I had no worries but was enjoying the stars and decided to hang out in the chair for a couple more minutes. As I sat there I was frustrated to see that mouse run over and jump back up in the car!

I patiently waited another 5 minutes and saw the mouse jump out again. After running under the car he started back toward the door again. When I saw the mouse going back toward the door I got up and made a run for the car. As I ran over to the car the mouse turned around. When I got to the car I crawled in, shut the door and sat still. I sat there for a few minutes listening to see if that was the only mouse or if he had friends in there too. I heard nothing, which felt real good.

As I lay there trying to sleep, I started hearing more rustling around. My heart sank thinking there was another mouse in the car. As I laid there listening I noticed the sound was different. It sounded like the sounds were coming from outside the car or up in the wheel wells. I could hear the sounds on the body of the car this time. I started to think there was nothing actually inside the car but wasn't completely sure.

I decided to use the flash light to look around again just in case. As I sat up on one elbow my face was about 8 inches from the driver side window. As I looked over to the window with no flash light I saw a mouse run along the base of the window. I let out a gasp and jumped back before shining my light on the window. The mouse was still there but not on the inside of the window. He was on the outside running around. I then decided nothing was in the car and all the sounds were coming from outside the car.

I lay there for another 30 minutes or so listening to mice (yes more than one) running around on the top of the car. I could hear their feet thumping quickly along the top of the car and sometimes on the side. I finally was able to fall asleep while the mice were playing.

All in all I think I came out the looser. The mouse had fun checking out my car and got a damned good cookie out of the deal too! I lost about 2.5 hours of sleep and was tired the next day because of it.

I fought the mouse and the mouse won!

2. Mice in vehicles can be bad news. Keep the doors shut at all times. Mice once set up house in my land cruiser. They got savvy to the traps & poison. Over the months, they chewed up much of the sound & headliner insulation for their nests. It was a loud drive at the end of it's life.

Some areas have jumping mice. They can jump from the ground all the way up & through open windows. Squamish, BC is an example. We'd hear a mouse running followed by some jumping then silence .... (the silence meant it was airborne) .. then a plop as it hit our sleeping bags. Bastards!

-steve

________________________________ From: Luke luke@bluugnome.com> To: Yahoo Canyons Group Sent: Tuesday, September 20, 2011 8:40 PM Subject: [from Canyons Group] Sandthrax Mouse steals sleep and cookies!

September 17th 2011 I was out with friends in the North Wash area playing in some canyons. There had been rains that week that had washed out some roads around Ticaboo Mesa and soaked the area in general. We took advantage of a break in the clouds and rain that day and had a lot of fun splashing around in Woody Canyon which was tippy top full and a fun romp.

After we completed Woody Canyon it began to rain again. With the recent rains and now having more rain, we decided camping near the highway would be a good idea, so we went over to the Sandthrax Camp. Since this is a popular camp area it attracts some small rodents to prey on the accidental food spills from campers (this is the first hint of what will happen later).

As the skies got dark and our eyes heavy it was nearing bed time but we still had some visiting to do. While milling around in my food bag, I noticed my half empty package of Pecan Sandies. I love these cookies and started offering them to everyone at camp. After everyone, including me, had their fill I was ready to put the package away but found there was only one cookie left. I decided to down it just to finish things up. As I took the first nibble, Doug jokingly mentioned I should save it for morning. My mind immediately went to my morning cup of coffee and I decided that was a good idea.

I placed the cookie on the driver side front floor board of my car. Being a little lazy I decided to just stuff the empty Pecan Sandie package in the floor board behind the driver seat. When I sleep in my car, my head is right over the top of where the empty package now sits (hint number two).

As I was preparing for bed I decided the night was nice enough to enjoy so I left the driver's side door open. This gave me lots of fresh air and allowed me to fall asleep looking up at the stars in the now clear skies. The view of stars in the sky when you are far away from any major city never ceases to amaze me even though I see it frequently.

I was able to fall asleep rather quickly since I had an 8 hour drive out to the area after work the night before and incidentally did not get a full nights rest. After an hour or so of sleep I started hearing a little rustling around in the car. Each time I would move around as I woke up. When I moved the rustling would stop. Since I was still half asleep it took a few times to start wondering if it was real or if I was imagining it.

A few more moments of rustling made me think it was real and I needed to investigate. As I sat up on one elbow I noticed my head grazed the seat belt which in turn rubbed on the empty cookie package below. When I heard it and saw what it was I wondered "maybe it was me all this time".

I decided to stay still and sit up for a few minutes. As I sat there it didn't take long before I started hearing movement below me. At that moment I knew I had company but I had no idea what it was. I had a few guesses but no real information. I started looking around and soon found the Pecan Sandie in the front floor board was now gone! That confirmed I was not alone. The question now was what is it and how do I get it to go away?

I got out a flash light and started looking around the car and found nothing. While I looked I heard brief movement a couple times but couldn't pin point where it was coming from. After looking for a while I took a break to go pee. As I was going Doug looked out of his truck and jokingly said go for me too. I started telling him what was going on.

After our talk I went back over to the car and shined the flashlight in the driver side door and saw a small mouse sitting right in the middle of the passenger side front seat. A mouse is hardly a shocking thing to see but seeing it sitting on my passenger seat kind of shocked me and I froze just staring at him. What I found funny was the mouse froze too and we locked eyes for a second. I know I was thinking "Shit there he is"! And from the way the mouse froze I assume the same thought went through his head "Shit there he is"!

After 1 or 2 seconds of us staring at one another the mouse bolted for cover. He moved so fast I honestly have no idea which way he ran. I immediately started looking for the mouse. I shined my light everywhere and looked under everything I could. I found nothing. Looking around a car for a mouse is like looking for a marble in a full grain silo. The mouse could be anywhere!

After a bit of looking I decided to give up. I moved all food items to a storage bin outside the car. I hoped this would leave nothing of interest and the mouse would leave of his own free will. I went back to bed and hoped for the best.

A few minutes later I started to hear the mouse running around in the car checking thins out. I got up again to look around and of course found nothing. As I looked under the seats I realized how much trash I had under them so I decided to get it all cleaned out. I hoped this would make it easier to find the mouse. But in the back of my head I knew that even if I found the mouse there is no way I could get him out. There are just too many places to run into for a small mouse. After clearing my trash and looking for a long time I decided once again I would try to go to sleep.

After few minutes I thought here we go again as I started hearing the mouse looking around. As I lay there I remembered I had a function generator app downloaded to my phone. I pulled up the app and turned on a sine wave to about 14khz. I wanted to use a higher frequency since I know mice can hear very high frequencies. Unfortunately I had to keep it in a range where I could hear it too. If I went too high I would not know if I couldn't hear it because my ears would not register something that high or if the phone speaker was not able to produce the sound.

After turning on the function generator I held it so the sound went down into the floor boards. As I moved it around I would occasionally hear the mouse run around more than he was before. I thought it was awesome that the sound was affecting him and maybe it would cause him to leave. No such luck! I could get him to move around but after about 15 minutes it was evident he was not leaving.

I left the function generator running, set it down on the floorboards and tried to go back to sleep. As I lay there I kept hearing the mouse run around in the car again. I got up and resumed the search knowing it was pointless but I could not sleep so

I had to try.

Each time I gave up looking and went to sleep I was torn on closing the door or keeping it open. I did not want to close the door and lock the mouse in with me. But I also did not want to leave it open so other mice could come in and play too.

After a couple more rounds of trying to sleep, being kept awake by a hyper active mouse and getting up to look for the mouse, I decided to sit in a nearby camp chair and watch the door of the car. I hoped I would see the mouse leave. After sitting there for about 10 minutes the mouse did jump out of the car. I was very happy to see this. Now that the mouse was gone I had no worries but was enjoying the stars and decided to hang out in the chair for a couple more minutes. As I sat there I was frustrated to see that mouse run over and jump back up in the car!

I patiently waited another 5 minutes and saw the mouse jump out again. After running under the car he started back toward the door again. When I saw the mouse going back toward the door I got up and made a run for the car. As I ran over to the car the mouse turned around. When I got to the car I crawled in, shut the door and sat still. I sat there for a few minutes listening to see if that was the only mouse or if he had friends in there too. I heard nothing, which felt real good.

As I lay there trying to sleep, I started hearing more rustling around. My heart sank thinking there was another mouse in the car. As I laid there listening I noticed the sound was different. It sounded like the sounds were coming from outside the car or up in the wheel wells. I could hear the sounds on the body of the car this time. I started to think there was nothing actually inside the car but wasn't completely sure.

I decided to use the flash light to look around again just in case. As I sat up on one elbow my face was about 8 inches from the driver side window. As I looked over to the window with no flash light I saw a mouse run along the base of the window. I let out a gasp and jumped back before shining my light on the window. The mouse was still there but not on the inside of the window. He was on the outside running around. I then decided nothing was in the car and all the sounds were coming from outside the car.

I lay there for another 30 minutes or so listening to mice (yes more than one) running around on the top of the car. I could hear their feet thumping quickly along the top of the car and sometimes on the side. I finally was able to fall asleep while the mice were playing.

All in all I think I came out the looser. The mouse had fun checking out my car and got a damned good cookie out of the deal too! I lost about 2.5 hours of sleep and was tired the next day because of it.

3. chris

chris Guest

It is quite possible that he got my cell phone, too, Luke. If you (or anyone else here) happens to find one in their gear or embedded in the sand at Sandthrax, drop me a note, please.

-Chris

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Luke" <luke@...> wrote:
    September 17th 2011 I was out with friends in the North Wash area playing in > some canyons. There had been rains that week that had washed out some roads > around Ticaboo Mesa and soaked the area in general. We took advantage of a > break in the clouds and rain that day and had a lot of fun splashing around > in Woody Canyon which was tippy top full and a fun romp.
    After we completed Woody Canyon it began to rain again. With the recent > rains and now having more rain, we decided camping near the highway would be > a good idea, so we went over to the Sandthrax Camp. Since this is a popular > camp area it attracts some small rodents to prey on the accidental food > spills from campers (this is the first hint of what will happen later).
    As the skies got dark and our eyes heavy it was nearing bed time but we > still had some visiting to do. While milling around in my food bag, I > noticed my half empty package of Pecan Sandies. I love these cookies and > started offering them to everyone at camp. After everyone, including me, > had their fill I was ready to put the package away but found there was only > one cookie left. I decided to down it just to finish things up. As I took > the first nibble, Doug jokingly mentioned I should save it for morning. My > mind immediately went to my morning cup of coffee and I decided that was a > good idea.
    I placed the cookie on the driver side front floor board of my car. Being a > little lazy I decided to just stuff the empty Pecan Sandie package in the > floor board behind the driver seat. When I sleep in my car, my head is > right over the top of where the empty package now sits (hint number two).
    As I was preparing for bed I decided the night was nice enough to enjoy so I > left the driver's side door open. This gave me lots of fresh air and > allowed me to fall asleep looking up at the stars in the now clear skies. > The view of stars in the sky when you are far away from any major city never > ceases to amaze me even though I see it frequently.
    I was able to fall asleep rather quickly since I had an 8 hour drive out to > the area after work the night before and incidentally did not get a full > nights rest. After an hour or so of sleep I started hearing a little > rustling around in the car. Each time I would move around as I woke up. > When I moved the rustling would stop. Since I was still half asleep it took > a few times to start wondering if it was real or if I was imagining it.
    A few more moments of rustling made me think it was real and I needed to > investigate. As I sat up on one elbow I noticed my head grazed the seat > belt which in turn rubbed on the empty cookie package below. When I heard > it and saw what it was I wondered "maybe it was me all this time".
    I decided to stay still and sit up for a few minutes. As I sat there it > didn't take long before I started hearing movement below me. At that moment > I knew I had company but I had no idea what it was. I had a few guesses but > no real information. I started looking around and soon found the Pecan > Sandie in the front floor board was now gone! That confirmed I was not > alone. The question now was what is it and how do I get it to go away?

I got out a flash light and started looking around the car and found > nothing. While I looked I heard brief movement a couple times but couldn't > pin point where it was coming from. After looking for a while I took a > break to go pee. As I was going Doug looked out of his truck and jokingly > said go for me too. I started telling him what was going on.
    After our talk I went back over to the car and shined the flashlight in the > driver side door and saw a small mouse sitting right in the middle of the > passenger side front seat. A mouse is hardly a shocking thing to see but > seeing it sitting on my passenger seat kind of shocked me and I froze just > staring at him. What I found funny was the mouse froze too and we locked > eyes for a second. I know I was thinking "Shit there he is"! And from the > way the mouse froze I assume the same thought went through his head "Shit > there he is"!
    After 1 or 2 seconds of us staring at one another the mouse bolted for > cover. He moved so fast I honestly have no idea which way he ran. I > immediately started looking for the mouse. I shined my light everywhere and > looked under everything I could. I found nothing. Looking around a car for > a mouse is like looking for a marble in a full grain silo. The mouse could > be anywhere!
    After a bit of looking I decided to give up. I moved all food items to a > storage bin outside the car. I hoped this would leave nothing of interest > and the mouse would leave of his own free will. I went back to bed and > hoped for the best.
    A few minutes later I started to hear the mouse running around in the car > checking thins out. I got up again to look around and of course found > nothing. As I looked under the seats I realized how much trash I had under > them so I decided to get it all cleaned out. I hoped this would make it > easier to find the mouse. But in the back of my head I knew that even if I > found the mouse there is no way I could get him out. There are just too > many places to run into for a small mouse. After clearing my trash and > looking for a long time I decided once again I would try to go to sleep.
    After few minutes I thought here we go again as I started hearing the mouse > looking around. As I lay there I remembered I had a function generator app > downloaded to my phone. I pulled up the app and turned on a sine wave to > about 14khz. I wanted to use a higher frequency since I know mice can hear > very high frequencies. Unfortunately I had to keep it in a range where I > could hear it too. If I went too high I would not know if I couldn't hear > it because my ears would not register something that high or if the phone > speaker was not able to produce the sound.
    After turning on the function generator I held it so the sound went down > into the floor boards. As I moved it around I would occasionally hear the > mouse run around more than he was before. I thought it was awesome that the > sound was affecting him and maybe it would cause him to leave. No such > luck! I could get him to move around but after about 15 minutes it was > evident he was not leaving.
    I left the function generator running, set it down on the floorboards and > tried to go back to sleep. As I lay there I kept hearing the mouse run > around in the car again. I got up and resumed the search knowing it was > pointless but I could not sleep so
    I had to try.
    Each time I gave up looking and went to sleep I was torn on closing the door > or keeping it open. I did not want to close the door and lock the mouse in > with me. But I also did not want to leave it open so other mice could come > in and play too.
    After a couple more rounds of trying to sleep, being kept awake by a hyper > active mouse and getting up to look for the mouse, I decided to sit in a > nearby camp chair and watch the door of the car. I hoped I would see the > mouse leave. After sitting there for about 10 minutes the mouse did jump > out of the car. I was very happy to see this. Now that the mouse was gone > I had no worries but was enjoying the stars and decided to hang out in the > chair for a couple more minutes. As I sat there I was frustrated to see > that mouse run over and jump back up in the car!
    I patiently waited another 5 minutes and saw the mouse jump out again. > After running under the car he started back toward the door again. When I > saw the mouse going back toward the door I got up and made a run for the > car. As I ran over to the car the mouse turned around. When I got to the > car I crawled in, shut the door and sat still. I sat there for a few > minutes listening to see if that was the only mouse or if he had friends in > there too. I heard nothing, which felt real good.
    As I lay there trying to sleep, I started hearing more rustling around. My > heart sank thinking there was another mouse in the car. As I laid there > listening I noticed the sound was different. It sounded like the sounds > were coming from outside the car or up in the wheel wells. I could hear the > sounds on the body of the car this time. I started to think there was > nothing actually inside the car but wasn't completely sure.
    I decided to use the flash light to look around again just in case. As I > sat up on one elbow my face was about 8 inches from the driver side window. > As I looked over to the window with no flash light I saw a mouse run along > the base of the window. I let out a gasp and jumped back before shining my > light on the window. The mouse was still there but not on the inside of the > window. He was on the outside running around. I then decided nothing was > in the car and all the sounds were coming from outside the car.
    I lay there for another 30 minutes or so listening to mice (yes more than > one) running around on the top of the car. I could hear their feet thumping > quickly along the top of the car and sometimes on the side. I finally was > able to fall asleep while the mice were playing.
    All in all I think I came out the looser. The mouse had fun checking out my > car and got a damned good cookie out of the deal too! I lost about 2.5 > hours of sleep and was tired the next day because of it.

>
  4. carol

carol Guest

Heehee. I too have had encounters with mice similar to yours. Starting out as a little scratching noise. And then slowly, seemingly taking over my space. Never have I ever seen the little guy retreat and leap back in. I usually give up, reach for my ear plugs and deal in the morning. Great effort!

September 17th 2011 I was out with friends in the North Wash area playing in > some canyons. There had been rains that week that had washed out some roads > around Ticaboo Mesa and soaked the area in general. We took advantage of a > break in the clouds and rain that day and had a lot of fun splashing around > in Woody Canyon which was tippy top full and a fun romp.
    After we completed Woody Canyon it began to rain again. With the recent > rains and now having more rain, we decided camping near the highway would be > a good idea, so we went over to the Sandthrax Camp. Since this is a popular > camp area it attracts some small rodents to prey on the accidental food > spills from campers (this is the first hint of what will happen later).
    As the skies got dark and our eyes heavy it was nearing bed time but we > still had some visiting to do. While milling around in my food bag, I > noticed my half empty package of Pecan Sandies. I love these cookies and > started offering them to everyone at camp. After everyone, including me, > had their fill I was ready to put the package away but found there was only > one cookie left. I decided to down it just to finish things up. As I took > the first nibble, Doug jokingly mentioned I should save it for morning. My > mind immediately went to my morning cup of coffee and I decided that was a > good idea.
    I placed the cookie on the driver side front floor board of my car. Being a > little lazy I decided to just stuff the empty Pecan Sandie package in the > floor board behind the driver seat. When I sleep in my car, my head is > right over the top of where the empty package now sits (hint number two).
    As I was preparing for bed I decided the night was nice enough to enjoy so I > left the driver's side door open. This gave me lots of fresh air and > allowed me to fall asleep looking up at the stars in the now clear skies. > The view of stars in the sky when you are far away from any major city never > ceases to amaze me even though I see it frequently.
    I was able to fall asleep rather quickly since I had an 8 hour drive out to > the area after work the night before and incidentally did not get a full > nights rest. After an hour or so of sleep I started hearing a little > rustling around in the car. Each time I would move around as I woke up. > When I moved the rustling would stop. Since I was still half asleep it took > a few times to start wondering if it was real or if I was imagining it.
    A few more moments of rustling made me think it was real and I needed to > investigate. As I sat up on one elbow I noticed my head grazed the seat > belt which in turn rubbed on the empty cookie package below. When I heard > it and saw what it was I wondered "maybe it was me all this time".
    I decided to stay still and sit up for a few minutes. As I sat there it > didn't take long before I started hearing movement below me. At that moment > I knew I had company but I had no idea what it was. I had a few guesses but > no real information. I started looking around and soon found the Pecan > Sandie in the front floor board was now gone! That confirmed I was not > alone. The question now was what is it and how do I get it to go away?

I got out a flash light and started looking around the car and found > nothing. While I looked I heard brief movement a couple times but couldn't > pin point where it was coming from. After looking for a while I took a > break to go pee. As I was going Doug looked out of his truck and jokingly > said go for me too. I started telling him what was going on.
    After our talk I went back over to the car and shined the flashlight in the > driver side door and saw a small mouse sitting right in the middle of the > passenger side front seat. A mouse is hardly a shocking thing to see but > seeing it sitting on my passenger seat kind of shocked me and I froze just > staring at him. What I found funny was the mouse froze too and we locked > eyes for a second. I know I was thinking "Shit there he is"! And from the > way the mouse froze I assume the same thought went through his head "Shit > there he is"!
    After 1 or 2 seconds of us staring at one another the mouse bolted for > cover. He moved so fast I honestly have no idea which way he ran. I > immediately started looking for the mouse. I shined my light everywhere and > looked under everything I could. I found nothing. Looking around a car for > a mouse is like looking for a marble in a full grain silo. The mouse could > be anywhere!
    After a bit of looking I decided to give up. I moved all food items to a > storage bin outside the car. I hoped this would leave nothing of interest > and the mouse would leave of his own free will. I went back to bed and > hoped for the best.
    A few minutes later I started to hear the mouse running around in the car > checking thins out. I got up again to look around and of course found > nothing. As I looked under the seats I realized how much trash I had under > them so I decided to get it all cleaned out. I hoped this would make it > easier to find the mouse. But in the back of my head I knew that even if I > found the mouse there is no way I could get him out. There are just too > many places to run into for a small mouse. After clearing my trash and > looking for a long time I decided once again I would try to go to sleep.
    After few minutes I thought here we go again as I started hearing the mouse > looking around. As I lay there I remembered I had a function generator app > downloaded to my phone. I pulled up the app and turned on a sine wave to > about 14khz. I wanted to use a higher frequency since I know mice can hear > very high frequencies. Unfortunately I had to keep it in a range where I > could hear it too. If I went too high I would not know if I couldn't hear > it because my ears would not register something that high or if the phone > speaker was not able to produce the sound.
    After turning on the function generator I held it so the sound went down > into the floor boards. As I moved it around I would occasionally hear the > mouse run around more than he was before. I thought it was awesome that the > sound was affecting him and maybe it would cause him to leave. No such > luck! I could get him to move around but after about 15 minutes it was > evident he was not leaving.
    I left the function generator running, set it down on the floorboards and > tried to go back to sleep. As I lay there I kept hearing the mouse run > around in the car again. I got up and resumed the search knowing it was > pointless but I could not sleep so
    I had to try.
    Each time I gave up looking and went to sleep I was torn on closing the door > or keeping it open. I did not want to close the door and lock the mouse in > with me. But I also did not want to leave it open so other mice could come > in and play too.
    After a couple more rounds of trying to sleep, being kept awake by a hyper > active mouse and getting up to look for the mouse, I decided to sit in a > nearby camp chair and watch the door of the car. I hoped I would see the > mouse leave. After sitting there for about 10 minutes the mouse did jump > out of the car. I was very happy to see this. Now that the mouse was gone > I had no worries but was enjoying the stars and decided to hang out in the > chair for a couple more minutes. As I sat there I was frustrated to see > that mouse run over and jump back up in the car!
    I patiently waited another 5 minutes and saw the mouse jump out again. > After running under the car he started back toward the door again. When I > saw the mouse going back toward the door I got up and made a run for the > car. As I ran over to the car the mouse turned around. When I got to the > car I crawled in, shut the door and sat still. I sat there for a few > minutes listening to see if that was the only mouse or if he had friends in > there too. I heard nothing, which felt real good.
    As I lay there trying to sleep, I started hearing more rustling around. My > heart sank thinking there was another mouse in the car. As I laid there > listening I noticed the sound was different. It sounded like the sounds > were coming from outside the car or up in the wheel wells. I could hear the > sounds on the body of the car this time. I started to think there was > nothing actually inside the car but wasn't completely sure.
    I decided to use the flash light to look around again just in case. As I > sat up on one elbow my face was about 8 inches from the driver side window. > As I looked over to the window with no flash light I saw a mouse run along > the base of the window. I let out a gasp and jumped back before shining my > light on the window. The mouse was still there but not on the inside of the > window. He was on the outside running around. I then decided nothing was > in the car and all the sounds were coming from outside the car.
    I lay there for another 30 minutes or so listening to mice (yes more than > one) running around on the top of the car. I could hear their feet thumping > quickly along the top of the car and sometimes on the side. I finally was > able to fall asleep while the mice were playing.
    All in all I think I came out the looser. The mouse had fun checking out my > car and got a damned good cookie out of the deal too! I lost about 2.5 > hours of sleep and was tired the next day because of it.

>
  5. Luke

Luke Guest

Ouch! That sucks. I just looked around in my unpacked stuff and found nothing. Hope it turns up.

Maybe you will find some phone bill activity leading you to that mouse' home town!

From: Yahoo Canyons Group [mailto:Yahoo Canyons Group] On Behalf Of chris Sent: Tuesday, September 20, 2011 8:08 PM To: Yahoo Canyons Group Subject: [from Canyons Group] Re: Sandthrax Mouse steals sleep and cookies!

It is quite possible that he got my cell phone, too, Luke. If you (or anyone else here) happens to find one in their gear or embedded in the sand at Sandthrax, drop me a note, please.

-Chris

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group <mailto:canyons%40yahoogroups.com> , "Luke" <luke@...> wrote:

I had to try.

>
  6. Felicia

Felicia Guest

Great story Luke! Sorry you lost sleep, but you earned a great tale. :)

Felicia

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 20, 2011, at 7:40 PM, "Luke" luke@bluugnome.com> wrote:

> The Sandthrax Mouse that Stole 2.5 Hours of My Sleep!

I had to try.

---
    When you post, please change the Subject appropriately, to make reading and searching easier. You can use the following abbreviations: TRIP = Trip Report; BETA = Canyon Beta; PARTNER = Partner and/or Rides; ETHICS = Ethics; TECH = Technical Questions and Tips; BIZ = E Group Business; SALE = Stuff for Sale. Please use a Tilde ~ after the abbreviation, so we know you are coding for us, such as:
    Subject: BIZ~ New Abbreviation List - working?
    To change your delivery options, go to the Canyons Egroup page on yahoo: > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canyons/
    > This will require logging into Yahoo. Click on the &amp;amp;quot;Edit My > Membership&amp;amp;quot; link, and change your delivery option. Press &amp;amp;quot;Save > Changes&amp;amp;quot;.
    DAILY DIGEST OPTION will deliver one email > to you each day summarizing that day's messages.
    WEB ONLY OPTION will not deliver email; you > must visit the web site to view messages. Groups Links
    >
  7. j b

j b Guest

Our research group sometimes runs trap-and-release studies of small mammal communties (rodents).  We used to use pecan sandies as bait. Jeff

________________________________ From: Luke luke@bluugnome.com> To: Yahoo Canyons Group Sent: Tuesday, September 20, 2011 8:40 PM Subject: [from Canyons Group] Sandthrax Mouse steals sleep and cookies!

8. KennethS

KennethS Guest

They do say: :Never Give a Mouse a Cookie.

I woke up to relieve myself one night while backpacking in the Paria River corridor. I looked over at my campsite with my headlight. A mouse was sitting on top of my turned over cup. It froze and then urinated on the cup. My thought was "great Huntavirus." I guess we both survived.

Ken

I had to try.

>
  9. richard berk

richard berk Guest

I had a mouse living in my van for four or five months once. After I gave up trying to evict him we actually got along quite well. I was also living in my van at the time moving back and forth between Leadville and Moab (he made the trip with me a couple of times). I got better at keeping my food sealed up and he cleaned up the small scraps I missed. He seemed to leave most of his droppings where I could sweep them out the side door. I learned to sleep through his rustling. I would occasionally talk to him - thankfully he never spoke back.

Kind of missed him when he eventually left.

10. Luke

Luke Guest

I will say the mouse was cute enough it would make a nice house pet if well mannered. Sounds like you got to do just that. J Everyone like small cute animals... If they aren't trying to steal your food, chew on your car, spread diseases etc.

From: Yahoo Canyons Group [mailto:Yahoo Canyons Group] On Behalf Of richard berk Sent: Wednesday, September 21, 2011 8:50 AM To: Yahoo Canyons Group Subject: Re: [from Canyons Group] Re: Sandthrax Mouse steals sleep and cookies!

I had a mouse living in my van for four or five months once. After I gave up trying to evict him we actually got along quite well. I was also living in my van at the time moving back and forth between Leadville and Moab (he made the trip with me a couple of times). I got better at keeping my food sealed up and he cleaned up the small scraps I missed. He seemed to leave most of his droppings where I could sweep them out the side door. I learned to sleep through his rustling. I would occasionally talk to him - thankfully he never spoke back.

Kind of missed him when he eventually left.
  11. Jenny

Jenny Guest

This is an irresistible thread. I will report (off the record) that I know of a pregnant North Wash mouse that was illegally transported across the border into Canuckastan. She gave birth while in route after making a cozy nest of paper towel bits and gorging on organic granola and wheat crackers. It is known that at least one of her lineage now resides on a wee island in the north Pacific. Illegal immigrantt and multiplying, no doubt. Survival of the fittest, eh? --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Luke" <luke@...> wrote:

I had to try.

>
  12. RAM

RAM Guest

Irresistible indeed. My tale from 7 years ago. Alas Hal's closed years ago and I know not what became of Hal. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canyons/message/15195

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Jenny" <jenny.carverbc@...> wrote:
    > This is an irresistible thread. I will report (off the record) that I know of a pregnant North Wash mouse that was illegally transported across the border into Canuckastan. She gave birth while in route after making a cozy nest of paper towel bits and gorging on organic granola and wheat crackers. It is known that at least one of her lineage now resides on a wee island in the north Pacific. Illegal immigrantt and multiplying, no doubt. Survival of the fittest, eh? > --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Luke" <luke@> wrote:
  13. Great tale, Luke!!

Jenny, I can't believe you're a Rodent Trafficker! Hope the wee descendants aren't getting all mildewy in the wet climate... :)

Kev

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Jenny" <jenny.carverbc@...> wrote:
    > This is an irresistible thread. I will report (off the record) that I know of a pregnant North Wash mouse that was illegally transported across the border into Canuckastan. She gave birth while in route after making a cozy nest of paper towel bits and gorging on organic granola and wheat crackers. It is known that at least one of her lineage now resides on a wee island in the north Pacific. Illegal immigrantt and multiplying, no doubt. Survival of the fittest, eh? > --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Luke" <luke@> wrote: