Send us a suggestion!

Sandthrax Crux Video

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by adkramoo, Sep 27, 2007.

1. adkramoo

adkramoo Guest

This from the last FreezeFest coutesy of Buckeroo. Note the difficulty of jugging off widths into squeeze chimneys. Also note the difficulty of being me. Just pitiful. Thanx again Spidey for holding up your end. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfpQizRX_UM
  2. crux indeed ... compelling. excellent work on the video. thanks for sharin' it

stefan

On Sep 27, 2007, at 6:33 PM, adkramoo wrote:

> This from the last FreezeFest coutesy of Buckeroo. Note the difficulty > of jugging off widths into squeeze chimneys. Also note the difficulty > of being me. Just pitiful. Thanx again Spidey for holding up your end. > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfpQizRX_UM
  3. Dan Ransom

Dan Ransom Guest

Great video. Good to finally see some footage of the chasm of doom. Confirms what I've always thought... I have no interest in going into there.

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "adkramoo" <adkramoo@...> wrote:
    This from the last FreezeFest coutesy of Buckeroo. Note the difficulty > of jugging off widths into squeeze chimneys. Also note the difficulty > of being me. Just pitiful. Thanx again Spidey for holding up your end. > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfpQizRX_UM
  4. JoeB

JoeB Guest

Thanks for sharing Ram. So... you're getting a little crazy with technology these days; first you're shooting digital and now you're starring in a youtube video! Pretty soon you'll be doing wireless podcasts on your blog. :) -Joe

This from the last FreezeFest coutesy of Buckeroo. Note the difficulty > of jugging off widths into squeeze chimneys. Also note the difficulty > of being me. Just pitiful. Thanx again Spidey for holding up your end. > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfpQizRX_UM
  5. Randi Poer

Randi Poer Guest

OMG that was tooo funny! You did good Ram! How long was that jug? And spiderman...geez...that didn't look like and easy task being the anchor.

Kudos to you guys!

That looked kinda like fun, only different ~ :)

I think that the "chickfesters" outta try this next year! Any of you chicks game for that kind of torture, eeer, Imean "experience?"

Malia?????

~R

--- adkramoo adkramoo@aol.com> wrote:

> This from the last FreezeFest coutesy of Buckeroo. > Note the difficulty > of jugging off widths into squeeze chimneys. Also > note the difficulty > of being me. Just pitiful. Thanx again Spidey for > holding up your end. > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfpQizRX_UM
    >
  6. adkramoo

adkramoo Guest

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "JoeB" <joe@...> wrote:
    Thanks for sharing Ram. So... you're getting a little crazy with > technology these days; first you're shooting digital and now you're > starring in a youtube video!

Aaron's camera. Bucky's video. I am just a bystander

Pretty soon you'll be doing wireless > podcasts on your blog. :) -Joe

Not until I find out what any of that is, at least ;-)
  7. adkramoo

adkramoo Guest

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, Randi Poer <advntr_inxs@...> wrote:
    OMG that was tooo funny!

Pitiful is more like it. Did better in April. Stevee B was the anchor that time, I think.

How long was that jug?

Oh maybe 20 feet max. Here is a look. The last 2 pic are of a silo and the pic is looking down canyon. You go past Aaron and descent the elevator 40 feet or more http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/rave/0701freeze/index302.htm Then you land on a sloping ledge. Pretty comfortable one, really. A very important ledge, also. There is a slot 15-20 feet below you, adding to the exposure. Lucky one doesn't have to start from down there. We are standing on the ledge, in the next link. Again the photo is looking down canyon. The crack in the back wall is what the crux looks like from the other side of what the video showed. Seen here in the first picture http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/rave/0701freeze/index303.htm

> And spiderman...geez...that didn't look like and easy > task being the anchor.

Everyone was faster and smoother than I. I lost my leg loops twice. Dang awkward spot. Spidey was beet red in the face by the time I lumbered over into the wedge. He always down plays his efforts.

> That looked kinda like fun, only different ~ :)

The canyon is visually charming for the X genre and some of the climbing is really fun. Easy for an X, except for the crux which is as hard a spot as I have been.

> I think that the "chickfesters" outta try this next > year! Any of you chicks game for that kind of torture, > eeer, Imean "experience?"

I know of two talented ChickFesters who have their eye on it. Can't wait for that TR. Ram
  8. Bo

Bo Guest

Awesome Ram! You need a set of Purcell Prusiks to set up your ascenders, then you wouldn't be huntin' and peckin' for your feet! Have Tom show you the set I rigged for him? Or maybe better yet I'll be able to show you in person one day! That canyon looks like a LOT Of WorK!

Bo

9. Neil

Neil Guest

Sweet, thanks for sharing. I am left with one question ... was the spiderman anchor, uh, safe? I mean, how can we know for sure what the load rating on the spiderman anchor was?

Anyhow, sweet, sweet stuff ....

Have fun out there, Neil

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, Randi Poer <advntr_inxs@...> wrote:

> And spiderman...geez...that didn't look like and easy > task being the anchor.
    Kudos to you guys! >
  10. adkramoo

adkramoo Guest

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Bo" <bomabro84738@...> wrote:
    Awesome Ram!

Thanx

You need a set of Purcell Prusiks to set up your > ascenders, then you wouldn't be huntin' and peckin' for your feet!

For sure, I need something. How does Purcell's work?

Have > Tom show you the set I rigged for him? Or maybe better yet I'll be able > to show you in person one day!

That would be great. Sometime soon, I hope

That canyon looks like a LOT Of WorK! > Bo

You would eat it up. Only a few spots are truly physically challenging. Most of the lateral stuff just takes patience and concentration. Ram PS Oh and thanx for the call to action on the wilderness issue
  11. beadysee

beadysee Guest

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Bo" <bomabro84738@> wrote: > You need a set of Purcell Prusiks to set up your
    ascenders

Naw, get a set of Yates speed stirrips and adj. daisies...

Or go for a "RADS" set up.

-Brian in SLC
  12. Chris Reeves

Chris Reeves Guest

I'm with Bo. Purcell's are light, inexpensive and can be used for a few things, not just ascending rope, plus all it is is rope without extra straps, ascending devices, etc. Plus if you break one or one gets damaged they're fairly easy to make just out of another piece of rope. They're also fast and easy to set up to ascend ropes. I've gone out to practice using them a couple times and they are great! I'm not bashing on your idea Brian, just explaining why I like Purcell's Prusiks and their advantages.

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "beadysee" <beadysee@...> wrote:
    --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "adkramoo" <adkramoo@> wrote:

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Bo" <bomabro84738@> wrote:
    You need a set of Purcell Prusiks to set up your
    > ascenders
    -Brian in SLC >
  13. Bo

Bo Guest

Not to forget. They can be used in conjunction with your mechanical ascenders as the "daisies and foot stirrups". :)

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Chris Reeves" <creeves@...> wrote:
    I'm with Bo. Purcell's are light, inexpensive and can be used for a > few things, not just ascending rope, plus all it is is rope without > extra straps, ascending devices, etc. Plus if you break one or one > gets damaged they're fairly easy to make just out of another piece of > rope. They're also fast and easy to set up to ascend ropes. I've > gone out to practice using them a couple times and they are great! > I'm not bashing on your idea Brian, just explaining why I like > Purcell's Prusiks and their advantages.
    --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "beadysee" <beadysee@> wrote:

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "adkramoo" <adkramoo@> wrote:

> You need a set of Purcell Prusiks to set up your

ascenders

-Brian in SLC
    >
  14. Brando

Brando Guest

I got tired just watching you do that... nicely done Ram.

-Brando
  15. octavianc4

octavianc4 Guest

Heres a site showing relatively clearly how to tie a Purcell prusik, you can just clip this to your prusik loop or make it long enough to use as is.

http://www.pbase.com/phil_box/purcell_tie_in

-John Varn

Awesome Ram!
    Thanx
    You need a set of Purcell Prusiks to set up your
    ascenders, then you wouldn't be huntin' and peckin' for your feet!
    For sure, I need something. How does Purcell's work?
    Have > Tom show you the set I rigged for him? Or maybe better yet I'll > be able > to show you in person one day!
    That would be great. Sometime soon, I hope
    That canyon looks like a LOT Of WorK!
    Bo
    You would eat it up. Only a few spots are truly physically > challenging. Most of the lateral stuff just takes patience and > concentration. > Ram > PS Oh and thanx for the call to action on the wilderness issue >
  16. moabmatt

moabmatt Guest

While we're offering advice, next time around have the guy who held the munter hitch situate himself next to Spiderman instead. As it was, Spiderman was holding over 200% of Ram's weight. Ugh! With someone next to Spidey you could equalize the load so that you each "only" hold 50% of Ram's weight. Also, you could set up a 2:1 (or more) very easily and haul Ram up so he wouldn't have to jug. Either way, much easier on Spidey's body and probably Ram's, too.

17. adkramoo

adkramoo Guest

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "moabmatt" <matt@...> wrote: > While we're offering advice, next time around have the guy who held > the munter hitch situate himself next to Spiderman instead. As it > was, Spiderman was holding over 200% of Ram's weight. Ugh! With > someone next to Spidey you could equalize the load so that you > each "only" hold 50% of Ram's weight. Also, you could set up a 2:1 > (or more) very easily and haul Ram up so he wouldn't have to jug. > Either way, much easier on Spidey's body and probably Ram's, too.

Good ideas all. Bucky was someone going down that road in retrospect as his comments show when he sent the video to us. see below

Bucky said...Here is a link to a video clip from Sandthrax. I have 2 questions that I'm interested in getting your responses in, should you have any knowledge of them or care to respond. 1. Um, so, in hindsight, in that video clip, we increased the force a fair bit on Steve (the guy up highest in the video) by using him as a redirectional, huh? We should have just had him be the anchor point, and left me out of the system, to make it easier on him....
  18. adkramoo

adkramoo Guest

> --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "moabmatt" <matt@> wrote:
    While we're offering advice, next time around have the guy who held
    the munter hitch situate himself next to Spiderman instead. As it
    was, Spiderman was holding over 200% of Ram's weight. Ugh! With
    someone next to Spidey you could equalize the load so that you
    each "only" hold 50% of Ram's weight.

So your saying have two folks up there both tied to the jugger with the load split?

Also, you could set up a 2:1
    (or more) very easily and haul Ram up so he wouldn't have to jug.
    Either way, much easier on Spidey's body and probably Ram's, too.

How would you set up the 2:1 and howq would it work?
  19. octavianc4

octavianc4 Guest

On this page is a 2:1 human anchor system I am (vageuly) familiar with. http://canyoneering.com/gear/tech_anchoring3.html

From there you could attempt to rig a haul system where the belayer is to haul a person up. For 2:1 to a jugger I could see just using webbing to make an anchor point below them with a biner, as narrow angle as possible, than just figure eight the rope to the anchor point making it hands free for the anchor people and near 50/50 distribution if the angle is low. Just some (inexperienced) thoughts on the matter.

-John Varn

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "moabmatt" <matt@> wrote:
    > While we're offering advice, next time around have the guy who held
    > the munter hitch situate himself next to Spiderman instead. As it
    > was, Spiderman was holding over 200% of Ram's weight. Ugh! With
    > someone next to Spidey you could equalize the load so that you
    > each "only" hold 50% of Ram's weight.
    So your saying have two folks up there both tied to the jugger with > the load split?
    Also, you could set up a 2:1
    > (or more) very easily and haul Ram up so he wouldn't have to jug.
    > Either way, much easier on Spidey's body and probably Ram's, too.
    How would you set up the 2:1 and howq would it work? >
  20. Bo

Bo Guest

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "moabmatt" <matt@...> wrote:
    While we're offering advice, next time around have the guy who held > the munter hitch situate himself next to Spiderman instead. As it > was, Spiderman was holding over 200% of Ram's weight. Ugh!

Fill me in? Where did the 200% of Rams MASS come into the equation?

With > someone next to Spidey you could equalize the load so that you > each "only" hold 50% of Ram's weight. Also, you could set up a 2:1 > (or more) very easily and haul Ram up so he wouldn't have to jug.

How do you get 2 people hauling on a 2:1 in the constricted/confined space? Without a pulley at 90% effeciency vs. a carabiner at 60% effeciency, they are gonna work their arses off!

> Either way, much easier on Spidey's body and probably Ram's, too.

Whats wrong with Ram working his A$$ off?! Jus kiddin' Ram [:D]
    > --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "adkramoo" adkramoo@ wrote:

This from the last FreezeFest coutesy of Buckeroo. Note the > difficulty
    of jugging off widths into squeeze chimneys. Also note the > difficulty
    of being me. Just pitiful. Thanx again Spidey for holding up your > end.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfpQizRX_UM